Status
Not open for further replies.

ABDLsean

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Hey all,

So the holiday season is coming up and I'm starting to think of things that I could get my parents for Christmas.
I noticed that some of the members on here are in the 50+ age range, and was wondering if you could give me insight into things that you either; love receiving or hate receiving.
This obviously depends on the person and not everyone will agree, but a little inspiration is required to get things going.

many thanks :)

I'm difficult for my kids to buy for. When my wife was living, we enjoyed going out to eat so our kids would buy us gift cards for our favorite restaurants. I'm a musician, so I've given out ideas as to what CDs they could buy me. My son knows I like scary movies so he and his wife have bought me DVDs of some good scary movies. I also like Makers Mark whisky in eggnog and I'll sometimes ask for a bottle of MM.

Im not 50+; but, Since it varies so much depending on the person (regardless of age) you could always get someone a gift card to a grocery store or restaurant of some sort (everyone has to eat)

Getting good gifts can be tricky business. I try to figure out some general interests that lend themselves to gifts and then narrow down from there. Books, music, and movies are typically open season, although you need to know what people like and what they don't already have. Be observant when you are with them or in their homes. See what you find useful that they might be missing (kitchen stuff can be very applicable here) but it must also be fun.

Lastly, I like to have a bit of a story as to how I arrived at this gift. There's the present and then the story of the present. Maybe you read a book and realized there was a common interest, so you got them a copy. Perhaps there's a certain song they like and you found someone who did a cover of it who you also enjoy and you think they could as well. Try to get them something they'd get themselves if they only knew it was around.

A little bit different kind of suggestion... Is there something--job, task, repair around the house, etc. that you could provide for them yourself? Would they maybe appreciate you to spend a day/part of a day with them doing something they like to do? A present does not have to be a thing; it could simply be your presence with them or a labor of love. Don't know if that helps, but maybe it could get the creative juices flowing in your thought process.
I think it's wonderful that you are thinking about it already. I believe it shows your care and love. I hope you have success.

Hallmark, StarTrek ornaments.

I fit in that category. I would go something that pertains to their interests like if they read, get them a book or a gift card. Amazon sells *everything* and I get a lot of deals with my gift cards after Christmas. Movie tickets, concert tickets, plays...all nice. I have a closet full of clothes so unless it's a Disney t-shirt, don't need any.

hmm, it is tricky.
I feel that there is a distinct difference in buying for a friend, parent or colleague etc..

I seem to buy a similar thing every year for each of my family members, which makes me feel they may be getting sick of the same old things i get.

thanks for all of your inputs.

I like to give practical gifts. But K also try to find stuff connected to that person.

After a while, we recognized that my grandparents didn't need more 'stuff' unless it was going to be dead useful. IE: You know their coffee maker broke so you got them a nice, new, simple to use one.

So we would get them something that they could use up. My one grandma always had itchy dry skin in the winter so we'd pick her out a nice set of lotion and such. Or we would get them a gift card to a restaurant that we knew they liked to go to, or even just TAKE them out to dinner. Because if you're close to your family and don't get to see them, spending TIME can be more meaningful than spending MONEY. :3

CuddleWoozle said:
After a while, we recognized that my grandparents didn't need more 'stuff' unless it was going to be dead useful. IE: You know their coffee maker broke so you got them a nice, new, simple to use one.

So we would get them something that they could use up. My one grandma always had itchy dry skin in the winter so we'd pick her out a nice set of lotion and such. Or we would get them a gift card to a restaurant that we knew they liked to go to, or even just TAKE them out to dinner. Because if you're close to your family and don't get to see them, spending TIME can be more meaningful than spending MONEY. :3

I second this! Your own time (doing things or even their chores for them) and money is about the best gift I believe you can give to long distance family. Second to that, only ever get them what you know they need or want.

Think about it, how many of us have recieved a gift we didn't know what to do with or didn't want. And most often, the one thing we ourselves want after christmas is, you guessed it, more time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back