Interesting hypothesis on why some people like nappies/diapers.

bobbilly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I stumbled on this medical journal outlining a young females erotic preference for Diapers. It's basically down to her having a neglectful childhood. It's Interesting reading.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5136749/

I think this explains my need for nappies and my incontinence desires. I was psychically/emotionally neglected as a baby and young child. My father was an alcohol and my mother was absent emotionally. My love for nappies started young. My first memory is being in orthopaedic hospital aged 5 with my mother talking to another mother in a side room and seeing a mentally disabled man in bed with a stack of blue adult nappies on the bedside table. I was fascinated, I wanted to wear on so bad. This fascinated has lasted throughout my childhood.

It got so bad I was constantly stealing incontinence nappies from my special needs school that on advice from a child psychologist my foster parents took me too told them to begin purchasing incontinence nappies for me and that started happening when I was 11/12 years old. I continued to wear every night bed until I moved into my own flat and then I began wearing near constantly.

I think my love for nappies and incontinence stems from a abusive childhood which lacked love and affection. I have since been told I have anxious/ambivalent attachment issues.

I found that article very interesting.

I wasn't abused or neglected, but I can say that I did has a stressful childhood with a crackhead older brother that basically stole anything of value that wasnt nailed down if you left it out of your sight, plus I was picked on for years in school.

At one point (I think it was 5th grade) I had accidents during the day, which of course I was teased/picked on for, but thankfully it was resolved after a surgery and never happened again, for a couple years after that (different schools, different kids, nobody familiar from a couple years before) there were a few people that tried to bully me, I would get tired of it, fight them and never have a problem again.

I think in a way regressing is the Ultimate opposite of hardcore adulting, I mean I'm kind of like the person that helps people in my family move all the big heavy hard to move stuff, plus I've kinda financially replaced my dad for years now (would not have continued to make it all this time otherwise, nothing against either my mom or dad, they are both good parents)

Reactions: Napincolove
Interesting article. Idk if it was from neglect that my fetish was created. It’s possible. I don’t remember at lot of my childhood to be honest.

I wouldn't say I was neglected, just very withdrawn due to certain events that were taking place for most of my childhood. I had a rough childhood and that very well could be the cause, but it is very likely that other factors were in play.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I was neither abused nor neglected. We didnt have masses of money but growing up was fine. School life was pretty average too. Anomaly?

ABDLsean said:
I was neither abused nor neglected. We didnt have masses of money but growing up was fine. School life was pretty average too. Anomaly?
You may have experienced something in your early childhood that left an impression on you. I'm pretty sure that the same happened to me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lots of nuggets in that report.

Our patient does not wish to change her sexual preference: in such cases, fetishism is not considered as an illness by DSM5.

She fantasizes about being in diapers and using a pacifier. In some of these fantasies, her diapers are being changed by benevolent others, or she is a schoolgirl in a classroom where all students are kept in diapers by a strict teacher, or she is one of diapered slaves.

Presumably numerous other more cautious persons, perhaps particularly women, skillfully find socially acceptable excuses of wearing diapers for non-medical reasons. For example, a group of adolescent females may agree to wear diapers as a prank in a bridal party, or in a college graduation party, and some of them even post their related video recordings of this on internet sites.

This about monkeys was especially interesting, showing that this is a pretty basic response:

The effects of maternal deprivation are presumably similar to those observed in Harlow’s laboratory studies on infant monkeys separated from their mothers. Harlow’s team noted that when folded gauze diaper was placed on the floor of the cage, the mother-deprived infant monkeys tended to maintain intimate contact with its soft, pliant surfaces. Harlow wrote We were impressed by the deep personal attachments that the monkeys formed for these diaper pads, and by the distress they exhibited when the pads were briefly removed once a day for the purposes of sanitation. The behavior of the monkeys was reminiscent of the human infant’s attachment to its blankets, pillows, rag dolls, or cuddly teddy bears.

Also this operant conditioning angle is pretty damning. They can set up a situation where they stop being abusive when the child goes back into diapers, giving them a strong association with them bringing safety:

We relied on the behaviorist theories of operant and classical conditioning to postulate the following etiological mechanisms for the fixation on diapers: After a child manages to stay dry for a few weeks or months, the caretakers might be upset if the bedwetting resumes, and at times mistakenly attribute this relapse to the child’s wayward defiance or carelessness. If they treated the girl in aversive ways (nagging, scolding, ridiculing, beating) on such occasions, until they finally resigned themselves to diaper her again, and if the aversive stimulation stopped whenever she was placed in diapers because the bed sheets were now dry, the fact of again wearing diapers would have an addictive impact of bringing a major relief from impending punishments for something out of the girl’s conscious control. This is predicted by behaviorist theory of avoidance conditioning.13 The avoidance conditioning proceeds independently of the person’s awareness, it is a rather mechanical process, and is very resistant to extinction. This means that the diaper wearing or the compulsion to wear them can inflexibly persist over years or decades in the absence of aversive stimuli, those that originally followed bedwetting. Pavlovian conditioning13 has probably also been involved by endowing diapers with an erotic value. This conditioning process is unlikely to be adequately conscious or reliably recalled by the patients.

Some defense of fetishes not being pathologies as long as they don't get in the way of a person's functioning, and how stigma can cause this even though there's no reason for it to be stigmatized:

It is very important to note that our behaviorist etiological hypothesis clearly implies that an erotic fixation on diapers can exist independently of any psychiatric pathology. The readers of our article should not assume that all fetishists show psychopathology such as depression, schizotypal traits, or suicide attempts as in the test data and personal history of our particular patient. Although fetishists as a group could perhaps have some particular common personality traits, these would not necessarily be of pathological nature. Statistical research with non-pathological personality tests on large samples of such persons is needed to clarify this issue.

The self-esteem of this emotionally fragile person was greatly undermined by stigma of fetishism. Such stigma, if internalized as a self-rejection or self-hatred, can severely exacerbate emotional distress in fragile psychiatric patients. Her psychotherapy has therefore aimed at improving her self-acceptance, her self-esteem, and at reducing her social isolation. A hurried insistence on therapeutically removing our patient’s fixation on diapers would exacerbate rather than remedy her depressive symptoms and escalate her suicidal potential.

Reiersøl and Skeid19 argued that fetishism should not be considered as an illness in the international classification of diseases. The DSM5 does not consider erotic use of fetishes per se as a disease or disorder, unless it causes a clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning. The DSM5 manual provides the following example: an individual whose sexual partner either shares or can successfully incorporate his interest in caressing, smelling, or licking feet or toes as an important element of foreplay would not be diagnosed with fetishistic disorder; nor would an individual who prefers, and is not distressed or impaired by, solitary sexual behavior associated with wearing rubber garments or leather boots.

UzgruzzSteelchoppa said:
You may have experienced something in your early childhood that left an impression on you. I'm pretty sure that the same happened to me.

I won't dispute that fact. The report says that memory is fragmented up until 7. 7 years is a very long time for something to have an effect.

Everyone has a different non medical reason for wearing diapers. I wore them occasionally over the years as a part of other kinky things. Two years ago I decided to use up the ones I had and I found a new game I could play over the Winter since heavy clothing would hide them. I wore them 24/7 for three months and then switched back to panties in the Spring. I started again last October and wore them to Spring again. This Summer I started wearing overnight diapers and plastic pants at night and the upside was I could take the dogs out in the morning without having to pee in the toilet. With the cold weather I am back to 24/7. I've always had an oral fixation and have been sleeping with a pacifier for the past four years.

It is something kinky and harmless to do. I don't get erotically stimulated as I do with other things.

I had a great childhood. Both parents were a part of my life and had a great extended family too. I wasn’t bullied in school or anything either and was actually top of my class academically year in, year out. I don’t recall any traumatic events, but I guess there is always a chance I’ve blocked it out. I don’t have any clue where my love for diapers came from, but I remember wanting them as early as 4 years old.

PaddedInPuyallup said:
I had a great childhood. Both parents were a part of my life and had a great extended family too.

Same here. Amazing family, did well in school, no bullying, etc. I had about the most "normal" childhood one could have in the US, but I've liked diapers since at least whatever age I potty trained at (I remember being offered the choice between a pull-up and underwear and choosing the pull-up). I'm also told that as a baby I was fascinated by anything that made a crinkling noise, so I'm pretty sure it's an affinity that's been there since birth.

Why would trauma or abuse cause an "erotic inclination" towards diapers in a 5 year old? This makes for entertaining Freudian speculation but lacks logic or evidence.

The most interesting point in the article to me was the reward from being diapered in the subject.
How the relief of conflict when diapered caused potential dependency on diapers as a form of relief.

Seems like the article gives a valid reason for many people on the autism spectrum having to continue wearing diapers. If it helps them improve their functioning, then it should be considered a medical necessity.

Well for me growing up I didn't have a father. I only had a mother who spent all her energy on her show horses. School was typical apart from the occasional bullying and deprivity from my fellow class mates. I enjoyed watching diaper changes for some reason.idk just something about them made me want one. Probably because of the affection and intimacy they received. I guess I never got that growing up.

Very informative article.

ABDLsean said:

Same here. I find any single explanation (or single combination) to be unlikely. I expect it's a combination of different factors, some we see and some we don't. Even if we knew the exact combination of events for a given person, I would also wager that those same factors would not reliably produce ABDL results in random children in a vastly unethical experiment.

I don't know why I'm an ABDL. If there was some way for me to perfectly know why, I'd be okay with knowing but it strikes me as a very difficult question to answer with any certainty and I'm okay with the uncertainty.

bobbilly said:
I stumbled on this medical journal outlining a young females erotic preference for Diapers. It's basically down to her having a neglectful childhood. It's Interesting reading.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5136749/

I think this explains my need for nappies and my incontinence desires. I was psychically/emotionally neglected as a baby and young child. My father was an alcohol and my mother was absent emotionally. My love for nappies started young. My first memory is being in orthopaedic hospital aged 5 with my mother talking to another mother in a side room and seeing a mentally disabled man in bed with a stack of blue adult nappies on the bedside table. I was fascinated, I wanted to wear on so bad. This fascinated has lasted throughout my childhood.

It got so bad I was constantly stealing incontinence nappies from my special needs school that on advice from a child psychologist my foster parents took me too told them to begin purchasing incontinence nappies for me and that started happening when I was 11/12 years old. I continued to wear every night bed until I moved into my own flat and then I began wearing near constantly.

I think my love for nappies and incontinence stems from a abusive childhood which lacked love and affection. I have since been told I have anxious/ambivalent attachment issues.

I found that article very interesting.

I feel like it's too generalizing to say this is the one reason everyone is ABDL. There are many different classes of people and many different ways to like something. It might not be something people ordinarily like due to culture, but it ought to display the depth of the many ways to go about ABDL.

For some it's something of a BDSM thing to them. For others it's comfort and downtime. And for others still, it's for the diapers and the feel.

As for me, I had worn diapers for bedwetting when I was 5 wearing my old baby diapers since I fit in them quite well. I'll have to admit, I didn't like it at first. My first memory was me waking up in a overly soaked diaper all cold. I immediately ran and got out of it. I think somewhere inbetween I had worn them for fun as a silly roleplay with my parents. I wore it a bit after and I think I remember randomly getting some arousal for no reason at all and I started associating it with diapers. It sounds ridiculous to anyone I say it to but that's how I remember it happening. It probably didn't get any better when my parents took them away thinking something was wrong with me.

I spent a lot of my later years of childhood fantasizing about diapers and trying to recreate the feeling. Never really went away. I even started to fantasize about being a baby just to get diapers. I think that's where my AB side came into play. While I'll admit my parents were nowhere near the best. To be honest, they really weren't that great, my interests really developed out of a fetish than anything.

Either way, we're all here and we like diapers. It's a thing for us. And i guess that's pretty neat.

Interesting read.
As my memory serves, my mother did child care in our home. And watching all of the kids having their diapers changed a few years after I was out of them. Well that may have been a sort of trigger for me. I may have felt neglected just a little bit. I also remember being diapered a few times while sleeping away from home. It must have impacted me to some degree, as I don't have too many memories around that time of my childhood.
I remember around that time. I started stuffing a shirt in my underpants when I was down for a nap to make it feel like I had a diaper on. And also pulling a furry Daniel boon hat up to my crotch and peeing in it.
The next memory of diapers. I was around 12, and I remember making makeshift diapers out of a sheet of plastic and some paper towels. During one of these sessions, I had my first orgasm. At the time I had no idea what had just happened. But I wanted to make it happen again, and again, and so on. I believe that is where the fetish started.
It's not much of a sexual fetish anymore. More of a comfort thing now.
I still struggle with the understanding of why I love the physical feeling of being diapered. I accept it, just don't fully understand it.
I am so thankful that I have an understanding wife.

BOXERSORBRIEFS said:
I still struggle with the understanding of why I love the physical feeling of being diapered. I accept it, just don't fully understand it.
Nobody fully understands the neurological details of how our specific sexual attractions are formed in the brain, but researchers are aware that all of us go through a natural process very early in our lives that assigns many (all?) of these attractions to us. The process produces mainly attractions to heterosexual objects, but the process is flexible and sometimes results in perplexing and hilarious desires in humans and animals. (You gotta admit, "loving" a diaper is pretty funny!)

Back