putting on a nappy!

Emily-the-wolf

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
  4. Carer
okay so I've worn nappies before but only pull ups and recently have been trying to use tape up nappies but they just get put on worng and laek and fall off. So my question is does anyone have any tips on putting on a nappy propely? Also side note does anyone find it hard to sleep in a nappy becuse you get too hot or cold (because its wet)?

sorry lots of questions but thanks in advance for any answers :D

Hey Littlewolf,

Getting just the right fit, in my experience, can depend on several factors, including the particular brand, type of fastener and how you're built. But my general rule of thumb is top tabs first for waist fit, then bottom tab to cinch things up around the legs. Also if you don't have velcro tabs that allow you to readjust all you want, I find it's often easier to get a good fit the first time if you're laying down.

Hope that helps.

I put them on lying down and try to pull the tapes in evenly, lower first. And then do the same for the top. I don't like feeling wet when I'm in bed so more absorbent type diapers work best for me, but then the bulkiness might affect me if I'm especially wet.

Make sure to focus on getting a good fit around the legs first, the lower tapes are the first tapes you should apply.
When you have it all taped on, run your finger along the inside of the leg gathers to make sure the plastic for the leg gathers isn't inward in the diaper and the elastics are on the
And make sure you point your noodle downward in the padding if you're a gent so you don't go leaking out the top front and/or sides.

Being too warm before being wet, try baby powder(cornstarch based powder is safer) as it helps keep you cool and keeps your skin dryer and not so sweaty before it's saturated.
As for being too warm or cold when wet, that comes with being in wet padding and cant really be helped. If you're experiencing being too cold try a diaper cover, those tend to keep that area warm and it helps prevent any leaks that might happen when your diaper is reaching capacity. If its too warm when wet, sorry to say that comes with wearing proper plastic backed tape on diapers, you just have to change when it's saturated enough.
Staying in a used diaper isn't healthy and can cause rashes if you're not careful, if you're wearing for extended periods use barrier creams and powder to reduce the chances of rash.

There's also this handy ADISC article on how to put on a diaper that might help:
https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php/83448-How-to-Put-On-a-Diaper

As stated in the article and most likely everyone else who's adept at wearing and have been wearing for years, it takes a little practice to get it just right.

Reactions: ScottySquish
Jonnythepony said:
Make sure to focus on getting a good fit around the legs first, the lower tapes are the first tapes you should apply.
When you have it all taped on, run your finger along the inside of the leg gathers to make sure the plastic for the leg gathers isn't inward in the diaper and the elastics are on the
And make sure you point your noodle downward in the padding if you're a gent so you don't go leaking out the top front and/or sides.

Being too warm before being wet, try baby powder(cornstarch based powder is safer) as it helps keep you cool and keeps your skin dryer and not so sweaty before it's saturated.
As for being too warm or cold when wet, that comes with being in wet padding and cant really be helped. If you're experiencing being too cold try a diaper cover, those tend to keep that area warm and it helps prevent any leaks that might happen when your diaper is reaching capacity. If its too warm when wet, sorry to say that comes with wearing proper plastic backed tape on diapers, you just have to change when it's saturated enough.
Staying in a used diaper isn't healthy and can cause rashes if you're not careful, if you're wearing for extended periods use barrier creams and powder to reduce the chances of rash.

There's also this handy ADISC article on how to put on a diaper that might help:
https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php/83448-How-to-Put-On-a-Diaper

As stated in the article and most likely everyone else who's adept at wearing and have been wearing for years, it takes a little practice to get it just right.

thanks, it was a very interesting article and will try all of the things it has suggested and all of the things you have suggested especially getting a good fit around the legs! thanks! As for a hot and cold nappy guess i will get use to it over time and as you said prolonged periods don't help so i guess over night isn't the best!

You're going to get a very wide variety of different advice here, because everyone is going to tell you what works best for them, what they have the most experience doing. So I'd suggest you listen to everyone, and try out the different suggestions until you find the one that works best for you. (there is no one "right answer") And rather than say "this and this are wrong" I'll try to stick with "this doesn't work for me because..."

I've never been able to get a snug fit when I've tried taping on my diaper while laying down. My problems all seem to boil down to not being able to see what I'm doing without sitting up a bit and leaning forward, and those "crunches", as the exercisers call them, changes the shape of my waist. So after I tape up and lay back down and relax, the diaper goes from snug to loose. And if I don't lean forward to look, I don't get the tapes down right. Maybe if I did it enough I could tape up without looking, but I gave up on trying.

So I prefer taping on my diaper while standing. It's also a very useful skill to have if you have any intention of ever changing when you're not at home. You can't just lay down on the restroom floor and certainly not in a bathroom stall. So if you ever plan on changing in public, you'd better get used to changing standing up anyway. Even if it's not how you do it at home, you need to practice from time to time. So I find it's just easier to change standing up at home too.

I usually attach the top tapes about 1/2 inch below the top of the tape panel, if it has one. For diapers that don't have a tape panel, I usually place the top tape just above the end of the padding, or 50% overlapped on the top of the padding, depending on how big the diaper fits on me. You want the top tapes to end up about where your belt goes on your pants. Any higher than that, and it's probably just going to slip down to that point after awhile, and is going to get looser around the waist when it does. Any lower than that and it's going to be trying to slip down all day and you're going to have to keep pulling it back up. Either way, very annoying. So try for a snug fit around your belt line.

It's difficult to walk you through the process of taping up your diaper standing up, I might try to get together some good instructions (or maybe even a video, that would probably be best)

bambinod said:
I've never been able to get a snug fit when I've tried taping on my diaper while laying down. My problems all seem to boil down to not being able to see what I'm doing without sitting up a bit and leaning forward, and those "crunches", as the exercisers call them, changes the shape of my waist. So after I tape up and lay back down and relax, the diaper goes from snug to loose. And if I don't lean forward to look, I don't get the tapes down right. Maybe if I did it enough I could tape up without looking, but I gave up on trying.

So I prefer taping on my diaper while standing. It's also a very useful skill to have if you have any intention of ever changing when you're not at home. You can't just lay down on the restroom floor and certainly not in a bathroom stall. So if you ever plan on changing in public, you'd better get used to changing standing up anyway. Even if it's not how you do it at home, you need to practice from time to time. So I find it's just easier to change standing up at home too.
It's difficult to walk you through the process of taping up your diaper standing up, I might try to get together some good instructions (or maybe even a video, that would probably be best)
I also struggle with putting on a nappy lying down, I have the same problem as you of leaning forward/tensing up to see where I’m putting the tapes then when I lie back and relax the waistline goes really slack. I find it hard to get up from lying down as well without feeling like the nappy is just going to rip off me so what I tend to do is take it very easy and readjust the tapes once I’ve stood up. It can be be hard getting the fit right round the legs too, sometimes the plastic tucks up and doesn’t sit right. I’ve tried taping it on while standing up but found that was really hard too. I suppose practice makes perfect. I’d be very interested in seeing a video demonstration because I’m sure I’m missing a very obvious trick that would make things much easier!

I think you have just solved my problem along with all the advice from everyone else!! when I went to put on a nappy I do what you do and do a crunch making it not sit right! so I think I might just be able to do it now with a bit of practice next time i put on a nappy!however good idea to try and make a video or set of instructions would help me and probably a lot of people

Back