Who else likes to code?

MajesticHamster

Padded Princess
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I've been working on and off with freelance coding since I was 8 years old, and I was wondering
who else enjoys programming. I've always thought it was a fun thing to do. :thumbsup:

I'm more of an artist (3D modelling) than a coder, that said I know HTML and CSS and did coding stuff back in collage and I code with visual scripting for game dev...oh guess I am kinda a coder then :D

I like coding i'm in the pross of building a website from scraych following a video but still love it

Through HTML? Yeah, I love doing that.
I enjoy building websites. Especially when you're done and it
seems like the perfect website for the perfect occasion. It's just
satisfying to get a sense of, "Hey, I did that. That's pretty cool!" :graduate:.
And Ryan, I like to use C++ and Javascript. Nice to see more people who
code with HTML.

I'm more of a low-level programmer; I like to know exactly what the hardware is doing without too many layers of abstraction masking it from me. I mainly write in C, and occasionally dive down into assembly. It turns out, focusing on the minutiae of computations rather than higher-level concepts (e.g. objects) lends itself to writing high-performance cluster computing software, as well as to squeezing every last clock cycle out of an itty bitty microcontroller with very limited resources. I find both immensely fun. ^.^

Programming for 20 years. But I dislike it. Its only a job now.

I picked it up as part of my physics course at university, and found I really liked it (and found it made sense too). I wanted to do it at school before uni but I didn't have space to take it.

We were taught python (not using the OOP stuff, mostly functional) which is super easy for drawing graphs and things as we needed in our course, but I'm learning C at the moment. I use it occasionally for solving random problems. I'd like to do more, but it feels like I started too late to get into a career with it with all the youngsters starting early out there and I don't know where to start.
Any tips for something useful to learn? Web development seems to be a big these these days.

WoodlandWanderer said:
I picked it up as part of my physics course at university, and found I really liked it (and found it made sense too). I wanted to do it at school before uni but I didn't have space to take it.

We were taught python (not using the OOP stuff, mostly functional) which is super easy for drawing graphs and things as we needed in our course, but I'm learning C at the moment. I use it occasionally for solving random problems. I'd like to do more, but it feels like I started too late to get into a career with it with all the youngsters starting early out there and I don't know where to start.
Any tips for something useful to learn? Web development seems to be a big these these days.

I've had good luck specializing in high-performance computing, particularly parallel programming and numerical / scientific computing, for which I mainly use C together with MPI libraries and / or CUDA (I'm picking up Python too as I go). From what I've seen, OOP is heavily emphasized in many curricula, and most recent graduates aren't very familiar (or at least, aren't altogether comfortable) with memory management concepts (pointer arithmetic, typecasting, stack versus heap space, etc). Parallel programming seems to still be rare as well, in fact I've interviewed several recent graduates for positions with my employer who had no experience with multi-threaded programming, let alone parallel, and were unfamiliar with concepts such as deadlock or priority inversion.

I'm in my mid 30's now, and honestly the skills that my employer most values are things I've learned on the job after college, although they build upon the basics that I learned in school. I found a niche doing a sort of programming that is not as "big" or widely practiced, but is nonetheless quite valuable. Taking the road less traveled has often panned out for me. ^.^

Learning C is an excellent place to start. If you'd like to dip your toe into parallel programming without a steep learning curve, check out the OpenMP library. Be sure to have a process monitor up and running when you test your code — it's fun to see all the cores loading up at once!

I've been programming on and off for about the past 5 years as a little side hobby. It was only relatively recently that I finally decided to go all out and try to enter the industry. Even thought at times it can be tedious and stressful and I have a long way to go, it's been a really fun and rewarding learning experience

I've messed around with html, css, javascript, c++, and Python. And while it's not exactly programming, I started using and playing around with the terminal (and have tinkered with some bash scripts)
So far I've only made two (really 1.5) programs, both for my mom's business. I made a webpage that calculates and displays amortization payments for home loans. Unfortunately it never got published/used and the formula it used is now obsolete and there are still some areas of it that needs to be fixed up, but it more or less worked. I made it from scratch, no boiler plate, frameworks, or libraries

More recently I finished making a Python script that makes a folder containing about 8 other folders and formats the folder name and has a gui. It also checks to make sure it's not overwriting a folder and even has built in logging and to a lesser extent error catching.

I use to be more into web design, but after realizing how much it changes and how many different factors you need to (or at least should) account for, I've started looking into more native program design such as Python and C++. Especially with the development of web assembly, I'm hoping that'll make experience and knowledge of other programming languages carry over into web dev world (especially for front end). I do like JavaScript though and don't mind html and css, I'm just not the biggest fan of having to juggle all three to make a webpage and am not the best when it comes to style design. I also find I enjoy dealing with logic/abstraction which html/css has none

- - - Updated - - -

MickeyM said:
Programming for 20 years. But I dislike it. Its only a job now.

I'm sorry to hear you're getting/have gotten burnt out on it :(
Thanks for answering my programming question in my other thread! I hope you don't mind teaching others about programming though!

Last edited:
Sapphyre said:
I've had good luck specializing in high-performance computing, particularly parallel programming and numerical / scientific computing, for which I mainly use C together with MPI libraries and / or CUDA (I'm picking up Python too as I go). From what I've seen, OOP is heavily emphasized in many curricula, and most recent graduates aren't very familiar (or at least, aren't altogether comfortable) with memory management concepts (pointer arithmetic, typecasting, stack versus heap space, etc). Parallel programming seems to still be rare as well, in fact I've interviewed several recent graduates for positions with my employer who had no experience with multi-threaded programming, let alone parallel, and were unfamiliar with concepts such as deadlock or priority inversion.

I'm in my mid 30's now, and honestly the skills that my employer most values are things I've learned on the job after college, although they build upon the basics that I learned in school. I found a niche doing a sort of programming that is not as "big" or widely practiced, but is nonetheless quite valuable. Taking the road less traveled has often panned out for me. ^.^

Learning C is an excellent place to start. If you'd like to dip your toe into parallel programming without a steep learning curve, check out the OpenMP library. Be sure to have a process monitor up and running when you test your code — it's fun to see all the cores loading up at once!

This post has so many terms in it that prompted me to Google them lol

...I got a lot left to learn haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I don't use HTML anymore, could never really get started off in the whole web design stuff as a career, and I moved away from coding over the years. But now that's I've been doing visual scripting (Blueprints in Unreal Engine) for some games dev stuff and I've been getting back into the whole logical coder way of thinking of how to make stuff work.

MajesticHamster said:
It's just satisfying to get a sense of, "Hey, I did that. That's pretty cool!"

Indeed it is, love when stuff works, I even enjoy trying to fix it when it doesn't work.

I've been thinking about learning C++ at some point, at least some basics, dunno when I will have the time tho.

I really wanna get into Mandelbrot generation at some point myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I code as a "hacker". I also like taking down websites that are spewing toxic content on the web. I've taken down several accounts on many hate websites. I used to use my skills for bad, but now I hack to keep toxic sites down where they belong. I also mod video games for fun. I once helped code a game, but left the development team when my depression hit.

Back