Pampers plans on being more responsible about diaper waste

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
https://www.ecowatch.com/dirty-diaper-recycling-2613584176.html

Apparently they have some process to break down used diapers into their base materials and plan on setting up a system where they can collect dirty diapers for communities in 10 cities by 2030 (I'm guessing major cities with big populations) and they have partnered with an Italian company to turn the materials into recycled products that people want.

I wonder if other diaper companies could do the same thing in the future and then it could expand to a lot more cities and then perhaps you could have the majority or all used diapers recycled into base materials and turned into new stuff.

It sure would make for an interesting future, just think about an extra "garbage can" but it would be marked for Used Disposable Diapers instead, they could even abbreviate it as UDD so vanilla people may not know what it stands for or your secret of using diapers (for anybody concerned about other people finding out)

Um, Not sure what to think about this. Something made new from poopy diapers.

12srepaid said:
Um, Not sure what to think about this. Something new made from poopy diapers.

Yeah, but I think it also means Wet ones, I'm not really 100% sure what their process is or if it is really as ingenious as they want it to sound, but it's really something that the wheels are spinning and we may not have to worry so much about used diapers spending 500 years in a landfill.

I assume it's a bid to try and stay in the market as the world gets more eco-conscious, but they might need to move quicker than that. I don't know about the US, but modern cloth seems to be increasingly popular in the UK as the drive to reduce household waste going to landfill picks up. It's also meant to be cheaper in the long-run. That trend is only going to continue, and 2030 is a long way away.

If they can show that their products are effectively being recycled, that's probably enough to swing parents who want to be better for the environment but also want more convenience.

As for stuff made from poop. You do know they literally spray animal poop onto the fields that grow your food as fertiliser?

I am sure it’s something that needs to be done and recycling on the whole will keep finding new niches for capitalism to turn some dollars over.

Thing with recycling disposable diapers is they are very similar to disposable adult diapers and feminine hygiene products and often contain baby wipes and are wrapped in all sorts of plastic bags so the process really needs to be inclusive and clever so one plastic backed adult diaper doesn’t clog the system and cause a 10,000 litres process batch to be dumped.

Recently my garage flooded so I used some Nordic disposable baby nappies as an expansive sand bag system (they went up like sausages!) I did find that since they were eco friendly and being completely full the backing split and started disintegrating when I picked them up which was pretty impressive.

just burn them and you are left with ash. ashes to ashes dust to dust.

I mean its possible. City sewer systems collect every part of the wastes and process the liquids/solids into gases,oils,etc. and such for many many uses, then the processed materials are sold to places that use it for manufacturing other products

Interesting.. all I keep hearing is - keep this or that from “going in the landfill”

In the US northeast to the best of my knowledge we haven't had an active “landfill” for 20 years. Waste is recycled or incinerated, the smoke gets ‘scrubbed’ and thats the end of it.

Are there actually active landfills that haven't been capped where some of you live?

drawer said:
Interesting.. all I keep hearing is - keep this or that from “going in the landfill”

In the US northeast to the best of my knowledge we haven't had an active “landfill” for 20 years. Waste is recycled or incinerated, the smoke gets ‘scrubbed’ and thats the end of it.

Are there actually active landfills that haven't been capped where some of you live?

NW NJ, we have a open landfill

drawer said:

Where were you when I had this discussion a few weeks ago I had members tell me incineration of trash was forbidden thank you for confirming it and making my point!
I know in Michigan there are 50 plus still active and daily importing trash from Canada UGH!
Believe it or not Liberal TaxyaMassachusetts has over 100 plus if you believe that!

Interesting, I just don't see any traveling around here. I’ll follow this up.
In Vt I had to dispose of a bunch of stuff and the town contracted with a private co. to operate it. It cost alot to throw stuff away.
In Maine near Sebago I hear a guard stands over the trash-bag-tossing-dumpster and if theres a glass clink or a can rattle heard the bag is fished back out and you have to go through it and recycle the items. Repeat non recyclers are banned!

drawer said:
Interesting, I just don't see any traveling around here. I’ll follow this up.
In Vt I had to dispose of a bunch of stuff and the town contracted with a private co. to operate it. It cost alot to throw stuff away.
In Maine near Sebago I hear a guard stands over the trash-bag-tossing-dumpster and if theres a glass clink or a can rattle heard the bag is fished back out and you have to go through it and recycle the items. Repeat non recyclers are banned!
Michigan does not care. You just show up toss your bags in and off you go. They have someone there to sell tags or whatnot other than that pretty much open dumping.
Only time someone handles your stuff is when townships have clean up days they do sort things on a macro level micro level not so much. some places have seperate haz mat sites where you can bring paint or other chemicals some places more or less.

We have a landfill not too terribly far of a drive from me. And it's terrible to drive past in the high heat of summer. :p It's right up next to a major highway, too.

If they offered recycling where I am I would probably go for it...it's not that hard to sort it out as you go and toss it in the right bins.

CuddleWoozle said:
We have a landfill not too terribly far of a drive from me. And it's terrible to drive past in the high heat of summer. :p It's right up next to a major highway, too.

If they offered recycling where I am I would probably go for it...it's not that hard to sort it out as you go and toss it in the right bins.
Recycling can be a chore for those with disabling conditions the aged or the plain out and out lazy folks.
For metal the tin cans must be rinsed of food product. The aerosol cans must be used up and punctured and plastic top separated from the metal labels must be removed.
Glass must be rinsed out and labels removed and metal caps tossed in metal bins.
All paper must be sorted into non and glossy paper staples and paperclips removed and placed in metal bins.
All pizza boxes must be free of food remains or causing the entire load will be rejected to the trash heap
All paperboard must be food and chemical free or the entire load is sent to the trash.
Plastic containers must be rinsed and free of food or chemicals and sorted to the number on the bottom of the article if one piece is in wrong bin the entire load is sent to the trash.
Fridges and air conditioners must be emptied and sticker-ed free of freon.
Tires must be stripped of lead balancing pieces and rims must be placed in metal bins
Electronic items must be sent to E waste facilities or charity places like Bay Area Recycling for Charities in Traverse City Michigan
Mattresses can be recycled to that same agency above yet the process of recycling them is a chore ripping out the seams putting fabric in one bin the foam in other and the metal frame and springs fo to another wood to another and the surprises like wads of cash or handcuffs or guns go to a free for all bin.
So recycling is not as easy as some put it out to be. And has its risks of rejection.

What you have described below makes me never want to recycle.

Lets see... I buy the product which is in some kind of packaging that I have paid for, then that product has labeling on it...which I have paid for. Now, I use said product go through the hassle of cleaning it, de-labeling it, separating it into bins and hauling said bins on the appointed days. Then the local government comes through with the trucks which I have paid taxes for and collect all those cans, bags, boxes, bottles which I have paid for and now meticulously cleaned up according to their rules. This servive of course is not free either, that is on my sewer/water/utility bill. Then local government takes these products and sells them in bulk. They are charging me to pick up the products that I paid for and then they are selling said products.

The day they pay me in bulk prices for my recycled waste is the day I will begin recycling. Until then in concept, have at it, I am not against it. I just refuse to participate. In my community to add insult to injury; recently we went from 2 trash collection days down to 1. Our waste collection bill was not cut in half, of course we still pay full price for half the service. They are , more interested in collecting the re-cycle materials that they can sell. We are stuck with the bill, they get the profit.

xpluswearer said:
Recycling can be a chore for those with disabling conditions the aged or the plain out and out lazy folks.
For metal the tin cans must be rinsed of food product. The aerosol cans must be used up and punctured and plastic top separated from the metal labels must be removed.
Glass must be rinsed out and labels removed and metal caps tossed in metal bins.
All paper must be sorted into non and glossy paper staples and paperclips removed and placed in metal bins.
All pizza boxes must be free of food remains or causing the entire load will be rejected to the trash heap
All paperboard must be food and chemical free or the entire load is sent to the trash.
Plastic containers must be rinsed and free of food or chemicals and sorted to the number on the bottom of the article if one piece is in wrong bin the entire load is sent to the trash.
Tires must be stripped of lead balancing pieces and rims must be placed in metal bins
Electronic items must be sent to E waste facilities or charity places like Bay Area Recycling for Charities in Traverse City Michigan
Mattresses can be recycled to that same agency above yet the process of recycling them is a chore ripping out the seams putting fabric in one bin the foam in other and the metal frame and springs fo to another wood to another and the surprises like wads of cash or handcuffs or guns go to a free for all bin.
So recycling is not as easy as some put it out to be. And has its risks of rejection.

Well, I've learned something. Michigan sounds like what it was like 10 yrs ago here. We just tossed bags into a compacting dumpster to be incinerated.
Now we buy marked trash bags at $2 apiece for non recyclables to be incinerated. We put cans, glass, paper and plastic in another bin, single stream its called. No separating, No label removing or washing required. Corrugated cardboard goes in another.

Theres a finite market for this material and I know China has balked on taking plastic due to it not being clean. No one’s profiting off this. Its a hassle for all those involved. The cardboard and of course all metal has value.
Theres a thriving scrap metal market so none of thats tossed, in fact scrappers scoop up anything metal they can get

In the grand scheme of things I am glad there is recycling. I would say 90% of my neighborhood does it. I don’t, it is not that I’m lazy it is the way it is run and I foot the bill at both ends for less service.

drawer said:
Well, I've learned something. Michigan sounds like what it was like 10 yrs ago here. We just tossed bags into a compacting dumpster to be incinerated.
Now we buy marked trash bags at $2 apiece for non recyclables to be incinerated. We put cans, glass, paper and plastic in another bin, single stream its called. No separating, No label removing or washing required. Corrugated cardboard goes in another.

Theres a finite market for this material and I know China has balked on taking plastic due to it not being clean. No one’s profiting off this. Its a hassle for all those involved. The cardboard and of course all metal has value.
Theres a thriving scrap metal market so none of thats tossed, in fact scrappers scoop up anything metal they can get
China aint taking anything right now due to the US trade disputes and the glut in the recycling marketplace. Only segment of the market that does not have a glut is the scrap metal market. Scrap dealers will take whatever you bring them of course government regulators are making it harder for a mom and pop junk yard to survive.
The governor in Michigan wants to get us to recycle more however it is not feasible here due to logistics since the processors are near Metro Detroit and the costs of transporting materials 400 plus miles if they are in the UP to Detroit is too much and that the residents of the state just do not care period.

- - - Updated - - -

littlemoosey said:
What you have described below makes me never want to recycle.

Lets see... I buy the product which is in some kind of packaging that I have paid for, then that product has labeling on it...which I have paid for. Now, I use said product go through the hassle of cleaning it, de-labeling it, separating it into bins and hauling said bins on the appointed days. Then the local government comes through with the trucks which I have paid taxes for and collect all those cans, bags, boxes, bottles which I have paid for and now meticulously cleaned up according to their rules. This servive of course is not free either, that is on my sewer/water/utility bill. Then local government takes these products and sells them in bulk. They are charging me to pick up the products that I paid for and then they are selling said products.

The day they pay me in bulk prices for my recycled waste is the day I will begin recycling. Until then in concept, have at it, I am not against it. I just refuse to participate. In my community to add insult to injury; recently we went from 2 trash collection days down to 1. Our waste collection bill was not cut in half, of course we still pay full price for half the service. They are , more interested in collecting the re-cycle materials that they can sell. We are stuck with the bill, they get the profit.
Time to get with your local leaders and demand change of policies. Well Recycling aint easy mind you. Processors want things sorted to 100 percent accuracy or it faces rejection to the trash heap. Now that cost is passed on to your city since the items were not sorted per policy. even in bottle return states the retailers and buyers are demanding washing out soda and beer containers or they will not get accepted. To me recycling is a pain in the backside. This comes from a grandson of a junk yard owner.

xpluswearer said:

I actually work in the same building as a recycling group, so we know all about what they want and don't want. They're not getting household waste, of course, but they had a fit because we were mixing plastics. So now we have multiple bins for plastic, one is banding and one is 'foam' sheets. No big deal. And having run over a bag of recycling bottles/cans with my forklift, yeah, rinse that shit out. It STINKS. They don't demand we remove labels (or even rinse the stuff, which surprises me a bit...) They do that when they do the final sort.

And being a bit of an expert on tires:

Actually...a lot of the wheel weights on newer vehicles are zinc. Many of the manufacturers went ahead and made the switch to zinc so they'd be ahead of the game when/if lead weight bans come into place.

And OFC you need to take them off and break down the assemblies. It's fuckin' dangerous to toss out inflated assemblies. Then someone goes "Hurhur, look, it's got air in it. Let's stab it." And it blows off the wheel and kills them. :p

Tires also must be stored in a manner that does not allow them to collect water. We have to put them into a gigantic roll-off bin that has an enormous heavy tarp. This avoids creating massive mosquito nesting areas (and the water is also gross and smelly.)

HOWEVER, nine times out of ten the place that replaces your tires will also remove the old ones and handle them for recyling FOR YOU for a small fee. (I think I paid like...three bucks a tire for them to get rid of them.)

I'll go a step further and say that you are actually supposed to remove the doors from appliances, too, to avoid children playing inside them and them being trapped within. But how many regular household people are recycling refrigerators on a regular basis, xpluswearer? It's not an everyday item. :p Nor are tire and wheel assemblies or even eWaste, which, at least around me, has drop off bins in places. There are a few kiosks that will take old cell phones and pay a small amount of cash back for them right there.

And the rejection of entire loads would depend on the company doing the recycling...and that seems to come mainly from China rejecting loads for contaminants, not the guys doing the hand sorting.

I would say that the best way to know for sure is to actually contact the recycling company handling the stuff. They'd know for sure what they will take or won't take.

One article I popped up actually said they didn't care if you rinsed out the bottle or not, but they don't want plastic grocery bags or aerosol cans. Aerosol cans are processed at a different place because they can be hazardous. Yet another place says plastic bags are fine if you have them sorted separate from other plastic.

But no one wants diapers. Nobody. That's why it's interesting that the manufacturers are looking into bringing ways to recycle them into wider areas.

CuddleWoozle said:
I actually work in the same building as a recycling group, so we know all about what they want and don't want. They're not getting household waste, of course, but they had a fit because we were mixing plastics. So now we have multiple bins for plastic, one is banding and one is 'foam' sheets. No big deal. And having run over a bag of recycling bottles/cans with my forklift, yeah, rinse that shit out. It STINKS. They don't demand we remove labels (or even rinse the stuff, which surprises me a bit...) They do that when they do the final sort.

And being a bit of an expert on tires:

Actually...a lot of the wheel weights on newer vehicles are zinc. Many of the manufacturers went ahead and made the switch to zinc so they'd be ahead of the game when/if lead weight bans come into place.

And OFC you need to take them off and break down the assemblies. It's fuckin' dangerous to toss out inflated assemblies. Then someone goes "Hurhur, look, it's got air in it. Let's stab it." And it blows off the wheel and kills them. :p

Tires also must be stored in a manner that does not allow them to collect water. We have to put them into a gigantic roll-off bin that has an enormous heavy tarp. This avoids creating massive mosquito nesting areas (and the water is also gross and smelly.)

HOWEVER, nine times out of ten the place that replaces your tires will also remove the old ones and handle them for recyling FOR YOU for a small fee. (I think I paid like...three bucks a tire for them to get rid of them.)

I'll go a step further and say that you are actually supposed to remove the doors from appliances, too, to avoid children playing inside them and them being trapped within. But how many regular household people are recycling refrigerators on a regular basis, xpluswearer? It's not an everyday item. :p Nor are tire and wheel assemblies or even eWaste, which, at least around me, has drop off bins in places. There are a few kiosks that will take old cell phones and pay a small amount of cash back for them right there.

And the rejection of entire loads would depend on the company doing the recycling...and that seems to come mainly from China rejecting loads for contaminants, not the guys doing the hand sorting.

I would say that the best way to know for sure is to actually contact the recycling company handling the stuff. They'd know for sure what they will take or won't take.

One article I popped up actually said they didn't care if you rinsed out the bottle or not, but they don't want plastic grocery bags or aerosol cans. Aerosol cans are processed at a different place because they can be hazardous. Yet another place says plastic bags are fine if you have them sorted separate from other plastic.

But no one wants diapers. Nobody. That's why it's interesting that the manufacturers are looking into bringing ways to recycle them into wider areas.
Yeah they will take those tires off you that you get replaced however when you lug into a scrapyard that old jalopy that just is beyond repair those 5 tires the 4 on the car and the spare donut have to come off before the car is crushed to be shipped to the shredder downstate. My grandfather was then tasked with disposing of the tires so we let the air out of the tires and had a guy come in with a cracker that cracked the rim off the tire and had a crew load the tires in 53 foot trailers and they are carted off to the tire recycling processor. he was then paid for the metal scrap in from the rims and the hundreds of pounds of lead he had obtained from the tire pile.

we mainly tosed into the burn pile all aerosol cans to let the fire do the job for us and just shovel the ash and metal into cavaties of trunks and vans to send it off to the shredder and for added weight that meant more dollars for the business. Anywhere else its more of a pain really.

That removing of doors requirement did not start until after Grandfather shut down the scrap yard for good due to getting up in age and no one wanted to take it over.
If anyone trespassed on the scrap yard I fear the outcome since Grandfather was WWII Sniper so good luck!
Even Wal Mart bag boxes say please make sure bags come back cleaned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back