Anyone have experience with C++ vectors?

RubberJin said:
Check out NAND2TETRIS for a really good stack-up / explanation.

Thanks for the reference to NAND2TETRIS. The more resources I have to check out the better and I'm always super curious and still really have no idea how circuits contain and abstract logic. I understand how they're a series of switches that either fire or don't fire based on the voltage they receive (and find it friggin unbelievable we utilize quantum mechanics in flash memory), but I still don't get how that makes them understand what "or" or "and" means and such.

I just read an article talking about machine code, hex, and binary since I was wondering what the heck compiled c++ was exactly. A good point I thought was interesting that was brought up mentioned how all of them are binary, but how binary is really just a representation of a physical state within the chip (not literal 0's and 1's). I always kind of remember this and have it in the back of my mind, but often forget/neglect it

RubberJin said:
I find it weird that people can do programming without understanding how a CPU works / a little bit of assembler. Does explain a lot of the posts on StackOverflow though...

Isn't that a sign of progress though? Although I totally agree that knowledge of such is beneficial and I myself want to know more about it, but not having to worry about such nitty gritty details means programmers can focus more on other details and the abstraction as opposed how to get it work on the hardware

Yeah I'm not about to go through the entire stack-up of how computers work here :damnpc: but here's a computer done with marbles:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...puter-made-of-nothing-but-plastic-and-marbles

A marble is a "1", no marble is a "0" - easy!.

You mostly don't need to worry about the low-level stuff these days if you're writing applications, but it can be helpful - like you don't need to know how to fix your car so much these days, but if you understand how it works you might treat it better and avoid the odd pothole ;)

Every language gets interpreted/compiled down to raw binary the processor understands, it's just the higher the language the more layers of cruft and uncertainty there are in between.

This is a slightly more complete visualisation of a computer - built entirely from discrete transistors:
http://megaprocessor.com/index.html

Back