Anyone prefer plastic tapes over velcro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DprLuv85

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've noticed that quite a few of the ABDL diaper companies are starting to put a velcro taping system on their premium plastic backed diapers. Tykables, Bambino Diapers, and the new Bear Hug diapers are the ones that come to mind immediately and I've tried velcro taped diapers from all of them. I have to say though, I'm not really sure that I'm a fan of the velcro. For me, it makes the tapes themselves really stiff which has caused some of the bottom tapes to begin to come unstuck. Also, I love the way a plastic backed diaper feels when I run my hand across it; and that rough velcro taping panel just doesn't do it for me.

That's not to say these diapers aren't great. Performance wise they're great and the adjustability of a velcro taping panel is very convenient. For now though, I think I'll stick to self adhesive plastic tapes!

I'm curious, how do you feel about the velcro taping panels?

I don't care for it. Being able to refasten the takes isn't a problem for me and I dislike the rough landing zone these things use.

i dont care for the velco my self i dont think they stick very well and need redone a time or so during the life of the diaper and that is not easy to do when you spend 85 to 90 % of the day in a wheel chair now when i am at home its no big deal i will just be in a diaper and t shirt makes for watching diaper more easy for my aides

It seems like the Tykables ones work very well for most people but I don't like having a rough surface on my diaper. Good tapes work very well for me, so while I can appreciate the convenience, Velcro tabs on disposables are not my thing (I prefer them on cloth diapers but that's another animal).

I have used the Bambinos and thought they were fine but yes a little stiff and can if not carefully placed can dig in here and there.

I loved the tabs on the Attento but honestly not blown away by hybrid diapers with plastic shells and hook loop closing systems.

Prefer plastic smooth shell and one big sticky tape per side OR cloth like with hook and loop.

Plastic for me every time, two tapes per side.

I like the velcro tabs. I don't have very good luck with the tape tabs.

As a past cloth wearer...hated velcro then and the same with disposables.Two tape on a plastic diaper for me always.

I was never a fan of velcro, just does not feel as snug. plastic all the way!

Reactions: Diaperon
Tape, please, I guess velcro is cheaper.

during the day when they're covered under clothes I don't really have a preference, as long as they don't fail in some way. Adhesive tapes can either pop or pull away from the back. Tapes that pop under clothes usually stick themselves down again an inch back. Either way it leaves you with a poorly fitting diaper until you get home. Velcro tapes don't usually pop or pull off the back, unless they get pulled sideways, and then they can slip back an inch and reattach. But those are easier to adjust back to a proper fit. So I suppose velcro during the day is slightly better. I wear little builders to work every day, and the velcro works out fine usually. But then again so did the snuggies from a few years back - same diaper just with adhesive tapes.

I sleep on my back with my hands resting on my thighs, so I don't like the rough feel of a front velcro panel. But some adhesive tapes can be very pointy on the corners and jab my wrists as I sleep. (the same can happen with velcro tapes though the overnight diapers like magnifico use rounded tapes) So I prefer adhesive overnight, but only some of them. IMHO velcro offers zero benefits overnight. So I prefer a low-profile adhesive tape overnight. (MyDiaper Plus tapes do the best job of not jabbing my wrists)

I definitely don't appreciate the texture of Velcro panel and fasteners on my diapers. Both taping systems have the same issues with different people - although unless the non-Velcro tapes are inherently defective, rubbing them down with your fingers after applying them keeps them in place.

One good thing about Velcro tapes - they're not easily ruined by powder or lotion getting on them!

One conv with Velcro: some don't have any tape on them preventing rolling up the used diaper.

lacutah said:
I definitely don't appreciate the texture of Velcro panel and fasteners on my diapers. Both taping systems have the same issues with different people - although unless the non-Velcro tapes are inherently defective, rubbing them down with your fingers after applying them keeps them in place.

One good thing about Velcro tapes - they're not easily ruined by powder or lotion getting on them!

One conv with Velcro: some don't have any tape on them preventing rolling up the used diaper.

Velcro holds good and of course re-fastens easily (and re-anchors itself automatically if pulled loose) but I've found they will pop and move back easily if they get pulled at an angle. So you have to make sure to tape them at the angle they're going to get pulle at or they're unreliable.

And as for that roil-up tape, the patch of adhesive is usually small and it doesn't stick very well so it works marginally at best.

There is a reason why the ABU SDK and its variants sell out very consistently and are never reduced in price, while the Bambino Magnificos go on sale regularly.

The Velcro is for the convenience of being able to retape as many times as you want but I always get it right the first time. Sure you can take it off and retape (and I do like that) but like most, I like the smooth landing zone on a plastic backed.

I don't like them. The plastic tapes give a really nice smug fit, make you feel good and safe :)

Feel like plastic tapes are better for disposable to be honest. I would think velcro would be best on cloth more than anything.

DOWN with the VELCRO! Plastic all the way.

I'm also not a fan of velcro tapes. I get they are needed for the cloth like diapers, but those diapers are far inferior to plastic anyways. The hybrid plastic-velcro diapers just seem like a poor fix to bad tapes to me too.

We really just need a plastic shell that's strong enough to handle retaping without tearing, AND tapes that stick really well but also allow for readjusting multiple times too. I know having something like this can't be too difficult to make. It is what we had back in the 80's after all.

Yes I suppose my "tl;dr" on the subject is I prefer adhesive tapes because they are more reliable and allow for a soft front shell. I don't usually need to move or remove tapes, so I'm ok with single use on soft shell without tape panel. (like the original Snuggies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back