PTSD and incontinence

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendallmoo

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Has anyone seen a sudden recurrence of daytime incontinence with a flare in PTSD symptoms? I had some daytime incontinence issues until I was 17, while I was living in my father's house. It stopped after I moved out (and moved on).

Now 13 years later my dad is living near me again and has been mending relationships with extended family. They want me to forgive him as well and long story short I've been forced to be around him more than I want.

Ongoing for about 3 months now I've had partial incontinence issues. It's probably a full release once a week, where I don't know what happened and don't always notice until it's over. Other times I've started to release and been able to stop long enough to get to the bathroom. I've always been able to play it off in front of my friends and family as drinking too much, and most people believe me because I've been drinking a lot because of my father. But it's getting to a point where I'm wondering if this is ever going away and worrying that at some point I'll ruin furniture or carpet or not be able to explain it away. I'm still not comfortable wearing protection in public.

I'm having other PTSD symptoms and seeing a psychologist about it, but I haven't told her about the incontinence and frankly I'm scared to. She's about my age and I don't know if she'll be disgusted by it. I don't want her to think it is related to also being a DL (which she doesn't know about either, but truly these are unrelated, my DL side is private and I've never wanted to wear or use around other people). I did have a full release at the very end of therapy 2 weeks ago, I think it was as I was walking out, but I didn't notice until I got to my car. If it happened before that then she either didn't notice or didn't want to say anything.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced short term partial incontinence? Would you bother seeing a medical doctor or is this almost definitely psychological? Has anyone told a therapist and if so what was their response?

Last edited:
In my personal as a NON pro opinion PTSD is a form of psychic stress disorder so that in it self is a known trigger for IC , Ad to that youre higher volume of consuming alcohol to that mix and you added yet another factor in the puzzle so in answer to youre question

YES its time to both talk about this with youre psychologist AND also contact a urologist so that they can check you up and make shore nothing underlying is behind this as well dear. That youre a DL dont have anything to do with this AS long as you haven't actually used sed diaper for peeing in so i cant really see a reason for her to know about that part.

Well then i would say it DEFENENETLY time to inform her about this as it does sound to me to be stress related (BUT as i sed also the docs ) Her age shouldent bother you dear as she IS a LICENCED psychologist she should be able to deal with this as well if not you should consider changing her.

I know for a fact that my IC problems stems from the HIGH % of negative stress in my life from birth AND my diagnosis is the reason im were i am today (Diagnosed Severe ADHD with a gazillion of the common side diagnosis (among others Stress /Anxiety disorder ) & MILD ASD AL HIGHLY stressful diagnosis that led me to (see my sig ) up to were i am now SO i would strongly suggest you let the docs also take a look as well as open up to the psychologist as well reg this problems before you risk ending up as me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I myself only experience IC symptoms when under high stress or anxiety, and particularly if my PTSD has been triggered by something. If things in my life are calm, diapers are only needed for fun / relaxation / little time… but if I'm wound up about something or triggered, I have near-constant daytime urgency and require protection at night. o.o

Even in my "Dry Years" worry or stress would almost always bring on bouts of bedwetting.

Seconded on what the others are saying. Those triggers are well known, so time to cut back on the stress. You say youre being forced to see your father, why? You can try to forgive all you want, but still can't simply choose to forget. Be clear with your family that you are simply still not comfortable around him, and need more time and space.

Also, therapists can't help you if they don't know what's happening. You are past time to bring up the wetting, and your conflicting feelings over using diapers in public. You should probably also bring up your recent drinking problem too.

Others have already stated it but changes (especially sudden) changes need to be checked. Two months ago, I wrote off stone changes that nearly cost me my life! (I had developed sepsis because I ignored bladder issues too long. 1 in 6 sepsis patients die within days because of it.)

Do yourself a favor and confirm that your symptoms are all due to PTSD and not related to an undetected time bomb.

-Ieyasu

my bowel issues became a lot worse after my mothers passing and they've remained less then predictable.

I have PTSD and during an attack there will often be a bit of a release--enough to have a very damp crotch but usually not enough to be visible. If I don't wind up with that wetting I'll often be fighting it the whole time. I go from 0 to "oh look full bladder" instantly.

Hi Kendallmoo

Small bouts of incontinence can happen in stressful situations - commonly known as stress-wetting. In positions of extreme stress, the tension can manifest in physical as well as mental forms. What you’re describing seems to fit this. The alcohol drinking won’t help either as this will cause you to urinate more.

As such, you need to confide both of these things to your therapist. They are medical professionals and their job is to help you regain a positive state of mental health. You shouldn’t be afraid of telling your therapist that you wear diapers, particularly if you’re having incontinence issues. There should be no fear of judgement in these situations. While it may be tough to admit, if you explain everything to your therapist they will help you manage these issues too.

I hope you’re able to progress forward in your therapy. Also hoping and praying that things continue to improve between you and your dad.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

I basically agree with what the others have said. Tell your therapist the whole story. She can help you much more effectively if she knows the whole story about your incontinence and the problems with your father. Also see a medical doctor about your incontinence. You’ll probably need to see a urologist, but start with your family doctor. And for goodness sake start wearing protection. If you wear reasonably loose fitting trousers, nobody who isn’t looking for diapers will notice; and a wet diaper is very, very much embarrassing than visibly wet pants or leaving a puddle on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back