How do I tell my Mother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowulf

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I’m 22, in college but live at home. I’ve been having a hard time with my over active bladder at night. The bathroom is on a different floor across the house. I’ve taken to wearing a diaper at night in case I don’t make it to the bathroom. I’ll usually wake up if I need to because I usually sleep light but recently it’s been difficult to manage leading to more accidents as I make my way to the bathroom. :censored:

I’ve worked up the courage to tell one of my best friends about it and that helped. I’ve been thinking about confessing to my mother because I won’t be able to financially buy Goodnites (I’m smol af) and the anxiety of hiding it sucks.

I had a similar issue when younger so that’s what probably got me into diapers initially and I think stress and my anxiety are causing it to reoccur. It just seems weird that suddenly at 22 I’m having night time accidents after at least a decade without issue. :sickinbed:

Should I just be as up front about it as I can? I’ve only had an accident while asleep a few time but I’m afraid it’ll happen more and when I have friends over that don’t know about it.

I believe OAB can reoccur at any time so I would be up-front with your mom. After all, this is a medical condition.

When you tell her, she will take you to the doctor. That's the best thing to do.

Does your mother know you've had any accidents recently? That, combined with the stress you are feeling would be very valid reasons your mother couldn't easily ignore. it would indeed hit her quite hard that this is a problem, but just show her it's difficult for you to go through as much as it is for her.

She would definitely be obligated to respect that this is an issue you're having. As Saramouche said, she may indeed take you to the doctor to see about helping alleviate the stress you are feeling, since it may be directly related to the accidents.

Though, I would be more unsure how she would react if you said that you were into diapers. There are some articles online you could show her that can go through how some scenarios can mold what you feel like you need for comfort, and diapers are no exception, especially if it was a mechanism for coping with things back then, which is becoming even more relevant now due to the issue resurfacing.

You know her better than any of us. Hopefully you can work through this with her.

Just sit her down and let her know you are having bladder issues and are experiencing unexpected and uncontrollable bladder releases and you need to wear diapers to manage the issue untill you can see your doctor and an urologist to see if something can be done. Unfortunately incontinence can start at any age and is some times better managed with diapers vrs meds or surgery only you and your urologist can decide the best course of action.

Being open and honest with your doctors and close family members and friends is the best way to handle the issue there are millions of us who deal with incontinence issues and there is no shame in needing diapers to keep your pants dry. When your close family and friends know what you are dealing with it makes it a lot easier to manage.

hope all goes well and the doctors can determine its nothing bad thats causing your bladder issues

So I decided to just kinda go for it. My mother was supportive, the conversation revolved around stress mostly and I eventually told her that I had been wetting the bed. She was very understanding, I’m glad that I told her because I often cause more stress worrying about their answer than the problem.

I don't even see why it would be necessary to tell her, given that situation

Beowulf said:
So I decided to just kinda go for it. My mother was supportive, the conversation revolved around stress mostly and I eventually told her that I had been wetting the bed. She was very understanding, I’m glad that I told her because I often cause more stress worrying about their answer than the problem.

I was going to say you should be up front and matter-of-fact about it. Stick to just the medical necessity, and how it's causing you so much stress trying to manage it. But it looks like you already did just that.

I'm glad it worked out for you too. I know how financially draining college is, so hopefully now you'll be able to get some financial support for the diapers you need from you mom- in addition to some emotional support too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back