Hacked Accounts

ArchtopK said:
Recently I received an email from a hacker claiming to have installed a virus in my computer. The main issue here is that they did have a valid email and a valid password. I am not worried about a virus. but clearly one of the accounts I visit has been hacked and data has been stolen. Unfortunately, I use this password in multiple places. so I cannot pin down the exact site. Has anyone else received a similar email?

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

I've seen Microsoft office ransomware at random before, Malwarebytes usually catches that.

As a side note: Sonicwalls/firewalls can't decrypt anything that is encrypted such as email but they do monitor active IP addresses known for hacking- Not good for your desktop security much if it's something new.

I love it when I get a spam call from "Microsoft support" claiming they detect I have a virus and they'll "guide" me on how to "fix" the problem. Usually I just hang up/ignore them, but every once and a while I'll humor them.

"This is Microsoft support. We've detected some malware on your PC. If you follow our instructions, we can help you remove it."

"Oh geez. I certainly don't want malware on my PC, that sounds serious. Please help me remove it. I'll do whatever it takes."

"Okay, first, we're going to have you open your start menu."

"My what menu? What's that?"
"You want me to click what in the bottom left of my screen?"
"I don't see a Windows icon. Right now I see a little text bar at the top of the screen. To the left of that there's an arrow pointing to the left and right, a little star, and a little picture of a house. Above those it looks like there's some tabs, and above those to the right there's a little dash, square, and X and it says Google in big letters in the middle of my screen."
"I have NetScape open right now."
"Oooohh, it's on my desktop. Like next to my keyboard?"
"Ooooooohhh. On my computer screen. Sorry......I'm still not seeing it. I mean, there's a little Apple logo in the top left corner."
"Ya, that's always there. I thought I was using MacOS on my MacBook, but I figured Microsoft support would know better than me."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got another one - this time the passwordy type one:

Date: 18 Oct 2018 18:35:30 -0600 [19/10/18 00:35:30 UTC]
To: SOME_OLD_PASSWORD <[email protected]>
Subject: [email protected] is hacked
Hello!

My nickname in darknet is dickface69.
I hacked this mailbox more than six months ago,
through it I infected your operating system with a virus (trojan) created by me and have been monitoring you for a long time.

So, your password from [email protected] is SOME_OLD_PASSWORD

Even if you changed the password after that - it does not matter, my virus intercepted all the caching data on your computer
and automatically saved access for me.

I have access to all your accounts, social networks, email, browsing history.
Accordingly, I have the data of all your contacts, files from your computer, photos and videos.

I was most struck by the intimate content sites that you occasionally visit.
You have a very wild imagination, I tell you!

During your pastime and entertainment there, I took screenshot through the camera of your device, synchronizing with what you are watching.
Oh my god! You are so funny and excited!

I think that you do not want all your contacts to get these files, right?
If you are of the same opinion, then I think that $816 is quite a fair price to destroy the dirt I created.

Send the above amount on my BTC wallet (bitcoin): 1EZS92K4xJbymDLwG4F7PNF5idPE62e9XY
As soon as the above amount is received, I guarantee that the data will be deleted, I do not need it.

Otherwise, these files and history of visiting sites will get all your contacts from your device.
Also, I'll send to everyone your contact access to your email and access logs, I have carefully saved it!

Since reading this letter you have 48 hours!
After your reading this message, I'll receive an automatic notification that you have seen the letter.

I hope I taught you a good lesson.
Do not be so nonchalant, please visit only to proven resources, and don't enter your passwords anywhere!
Good luck!

RubberJin said:
I got another one - this time the passwordy type one:

I literally got this exact same email yesterday with email and password subsituted. I think the bitcoin wallet address was different but the amount was the same - clearly he's a busy guy sending these out at the moment! The password was a weak one I've used before (not anymore) but was never the password to the email as he claims. I'm fairly sure it was a password used on a known compromised site.

Of course, I know it's fake anyway. But that aside, my webcam is permanently covered (nice try) and all my email accounts have two-factor authentication enabled and have for years.

WoodlandWanderer said:
I literally got this exact same email yesterday with email and password subsituted. I think the bitcoin wallet address was different but the amount was the same - clearly he's a busy guy sending these out at the moment! The password was a weak one I've used before (not anymore) but was never the password to the email as he claims. I'm fairly sure it was a password used on a known compromised site.

Of course, I know it's fake anyway. But that aside, my webcam is permanently covered (nice try) and all my email accounts have two-factor authentication enabled and have for years.
gotta love duct tape with superglue to cover the webcam on the laptop.

You can buy those little webcam sliding covers to just stick on you know!

Way to play with a scammer.

also beware for any steam account scams, it is possible to send chat messages in steam chat and faking the display name so it matches one of your contacts in the friends list, then they send you a message to vote for them on a site , it asks to login with your steam account and even shows you a very convincing login screen, though it's all html with images, even the window buttons.

The guy faking your chat is even responding back so people think it's very real , the site even has an authorised ssl certificate , the catch is that the certificate doesn't match the site name and the url for the steam login screen is faked, even the symbol for the ssl certificate in that popup window.

Should you get entangled in that one and trying to log in with your steam account, best thing is to change passwords asap and remove all device authorisations except the one you're currently using.

Steam already knows as it's documented but I had this happen to me recently

Reactions: Deleted member 48373
I was getting them years ago and they only wanted $5000. Almost the same wording. Just ignore them. Someone here two years ago asked the same question. A few times I got a ransom note attached to a legitimate site so I just deleted the Safari history and that solved the problem.

Back