Status
Not open for further replies.

SWABDL2001

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Has anyone seen the Turd Burglar in Netflix yet? There is a section on an adult baby!!

Season 2 of American Vandal felt a little over the top to me but still enjoyable. The "diaper" was pretty disappointing. If I were relying on the ABDL content to get me to enjoy the show, I'd have been in real trouble.

Haha...."turd burglar" Robot Chicken used that term in one of their sketches involving Skeletor.

OMG! How on earth does a term like that get used on TV in such a random context?

It seems a bit gratuitously homophobic. :-/

tiny said:
OMG! How on earth does a term like that get used on TV in such a random context?

It seems a bit gratuitously homophobic. :-/

It was the nom de crime of the antagonist in the second season of American Vandal. The crimes were scatalogical, so it fit.

Trevor said:
It was the nom de crime of the antagonist in the second season of American Vandal. The crimes were scatalogical, so it fit.

The character stole people's turds? :-o Okay, but... that doesn't stop the term being offensively homophobic.

If Americans considered liver meatballs a national dish, the film American Pie could have been called Fucking Faggots.

It seems a bit disingenuous for the producers to go out of their way to use a homophobic slur and then hide behind the fact that they don't mean it in a homophobic way. :dunno:

Okay, I don't understand. Homophobic straight people must have really weird senses of humor, or be really, really stupid. I vote stupid. What does being gay have to do with turd burgling? Seriously? Do they visualize some obscure fishing game? Even if so, why? Imagining obscure fishing takes time, and why would supposedly straight people do that?

Back on topic, I do think context matters. If they didn't mean it that way, then, in this case, turd burgaler doesn't mean anything mean. If it still hurts you, just think of how much time thinking of stupid, homophobic slurs, takes out of homophobes' days.

Here's why I say context matters. One day, my economics professor did me a really big favor. I said if he ever needed anything, and named off a few things, one of them, was bail money. The professor in question was black. Cue white guilt wave. So, what made me think of it in the first place, if I'm racist? My mom had just gone to jail herself, her red-haired, fair skinned, dead ringer for Molly Weasley self.

Last edited:
tiny said:
The character stole people's turds? :-o Okay, but... that doesn't stop the term being offensively homophobic.

If Americans considered liver meatballs a national dish, the film American Pie could have been called Fucking Faggots.

It seems a bit disingenuous for the producers to go out of their way to use a homophobic slur and then hide behind the fact that they don't mean it in a homophobic way. :dunno:

Within content of the mockumentary, it makes sense. The perpetrator wants to be offensive to victims.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Okay, I don't understand. Homophobic straight people must have really weird senses of humor, or be really, really stupid. I vote stupid. What does being gay have to do with turd burgling? Seriously? Do they visualize some obscure fishing game? Even if so, why? Imagining obscure fishing takes time, and why would supposedly straight people do that?

Fishing...?! Whaaaat?! Ha ha! Now I'm really wondering what you're thinking! You must have a mind dirtier than mine! :p

Burglary in the sexual sense is "entering without permission", i.e. rape. Turd burglary is anal rape.

The term "turd burglar" specifically refers to gay men. The idea being that gay people are sexually degenerate, incapable of forming stable relationships, and would rape anyone given half a chance. "Backs against the wall" and all that.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Back on topic, I do think context matters. If they didn't mean it that way, then, in this case, turd burgaler doesn't mean anything mean.

Sure, context matters. But you don't use a term like "turd burglar" without knowing exactly what it means. And why make a cheap pun over an outdated perception that all gay men are rapists?

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Here's why I say context matters. One day, my economics professor did me a really big favor. I said if he ever needed anything, and named off a few things, one of them, was bail money. The professor in question was black. Cue white guilt wave. So, what made me think of it in the first place, if I'm racist? My mom had just gone to jail herself, her red-haired, fair skinned, dead ringer for Molly Weasley self.

Pfft. You can't beat yourself up over stuff like that. We're all prejudiced -- it's human nature. (And what you said wasn't a result of prejudice anyway). But everyone subconsciously judges people, on behaviour, accent, similarity to themselves, and many other things. So long as you reflect on your instincts and engage your brain, it's possible to say something that might generally be deemed offensive, without causing offence.

My dad referred to black people as "coloured". I cringed when I heard him say it, but he found the word "black" too direct. It didn't bother anyone else -- everything he said and did made it clear that he wasn't racist.

But, the word "coloured" (in the UK at least) just seems outdated. It doesn't come close to the offensiveness of the term "turd burglar".

Trevor said:
Within content of the mockumentary, it makes sense. The perpetrator wants to be offensive to victims.

I'll have to see if I can watch it somehow. Is homophobia a main theme? That would make more sense, I guess.

tiny said:
[snipped]I'll have to see if I can watch it somehow. Is homophobia a main theme? That would make more sense, I guess.

The mockumentaries are to solve a crime or series of crimes per season at a given high school. Season 2 is not focused on homophobia. I think the intent is to find a name that would be something audacious and offensive that someone young would pick as a name for scatalogical crimes. I suppose for some resonance, they could have used "Mr. Hanky" instead (he is referenced) but he's from 1997 and perhaps not as enduring and topical.

tiny said:
Fishing...?! Whaaaat?! Ha ha! Now I'm really wondering what you're thinking! You must have a mind dirtier than mine! :p

Burglary in the sexual sense is "entering without permission", i.e. rape. Turd burglary is anal rape.

The term "turd burglar" specifically refers to gay men. The idea being that gay people are sexually degenerate, incapable of forming stable relationships, and would rape anyone given half a chance. "Backs against the wall" and all that.

Sure, context matters. But you don't use a term like "turd burglar" without knowing exactly what it means. And why make a cheap pun over an outdated perception that all gay men are rapists?
[/FONT]

Pfft. You can't beat yourself up over stuff like that. We're all prejudiced -- it's human nature. (And what you said wasn't a result of prejudice anyway). But everyone subconsciously judges people, on behaviour, accent, similarity to themselves, and many other things. So long as you reflect on your instincts and engage your brain, it's possible to say something that might generally be deemed offensive, without causing offence.

My dad referred to black people as "coloured". I cringed when I heard him say it, but he found the word "black" too direct. It didn't bother anyone else -- everything he said and did made it clear that he wasn't racist.

But, the word "coloured" (in the UK at least) just seems outdated. It doesn't come close to the offensiveness of the term "turd burglar".

I'll have to see if I can watch it somehow. Is homophobia a main theme? That would make more sense, I guess.

Oh, oh, my. Well, how painful for you, and stupid of them. Ouch. I'm sorry. I know this might be hard to believe, but, I really didn't know. Gosh, when I was 12, that was school yard insult material, and that's all I knew.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
If it still hurts you, just think of how much time thinking of stupid, homophobic slurs, takes out of homophobes' days.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Oh, oh, my. Well, how painful for you, and stupid of them.

It doesn't hurt me! There's nothing painful about having a discussion about the use of language. I just feel bad that gay people have to put up with such ridiculousness. If I were gay, seeing a major TV company propagate a bigoted view of gay people would probably make me feel like a bit of an attack.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Ouch. I'm sorry. I know this might be hard to believe, but, I really didn't know. Gosh, when I was 12, that was school yard insult material, and that's all I knew.

Ha ha! To be honest, with the whole "fishing" thing... it's really not that hard to believe you didn't know the meaning of the phrase! :laugh: And don't apologise -- no need for that!

Trevor said:
The mockumentaries are to solve a crime or series of crimes per season at a given high school. Season 2 is not focused on homophobia. I think the intent is to find a name that would be something audacious and offensive that someone young would pick as a name for scatalogical crimes. I suppose for some resonance, they could have used "Mr. Hanky" instead (he is referenced) but he's from 1997 and perhaps not as enduring and topical.

But... Mr. Hanky isn't a bigoted slur intended to cause offence.

Funnily enough, it was the first episode of South Park my dad ever saw, and he was laughing so hard he was crying! Some people might find it funny, some might find it puerile and tedious. But no one's going to be personally offended by it.

tiny said:
It doesn't hurt me! There's nothing painful about having a discussion about the use of language. I just feel bad that gay people have to put up with such ridiculousness. If I were gay, seeing a major TV company propagate a bigoted view of gay people would probably make me feel like a bit of an attack.

Ha ha! To be honest, with the whole "fishing" thing... it's really not that hard to believe you didn't know the meaning of the phrase! :laugh: And don't apologise -- no need for that!

But... Mr. Hanky isn't a bigoted slur intended to cause offence.

Funnily enough, it was the first episode of South Park my dad ever saw, and he was laughing so hard he was crying! Some people might find it funny, some might find it puerile and tedious. But no one's going to be personally offended by it.

Honestly, I didn't think any guy would just give his turds up willingly, 'cause that's totally creepy, so. . . Y'know what? Never mind eew! :lol:

It's not strictly homophobic. It's also a term used for someone who walks in on you when you're using the bathroom.

NovaDL said:
It's not strictly homophobic. It's also a term used for someone who walks in on you when you're using the bathroom.

Nah -- that sounds like some kid has misunderstood the meaning of the phrase. Have you ever heard it used in that context? It doesn't really make sense. :-/

The term "turd burglar" is definitely a homophobic slur, as much as "fudge packer", "shit stabber", etc. I don't know anyone who would think anything else if they heard it.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/turd_burglar

Honestly, that phrase is so ridiculous that it's plain silly to treat it as being offensive. There's obviously no offense meant in this context either, so why go out of your way to take offense?

Springcircle said:
Honestly, that phrase is so ridiculous that it's plain silly to treat it as being offensive.

I agree that it's a ridiculous phrase, but... in a way, that's the point -- to ridicule gay men.

One of my mother's friends once commented to me on "how many nig-nogs have moved into the area". I'd never heard that term, and my instinct was to laugh at it's absurdity. But I was shocked and offended too. It completely changed what I thought of her.

As silly as they sound, phrases like "turd burglar" and "nig-nog" are very widely considered offensive.

Springcircle said:
There's obviously no offense meant in this context either, so why go out of your way to take offense?

But why did the producers go out of their way to deliberately use an offensive term? There's no reason to do so unless you're trying to offend.

If someone said, "Our police discriminate against niggers, and there must be more accountability to ensure that people are treated equally, regardless of race," then it's clear that no offence is meant. But does that make it okay to use a racial slur?

I'm starting to think that "turd burglar" is English slang, as I get the impression that Americans aren't really aware of its meaning. :dunno:

As the "official hafrican American" (biracial).
The word nigger aka nigga in the hood.

Can anyone tell me why Honky Tonks exist but if I call my boss a honky I am fired.

Sent from my UL40 using Tapatalk

tiny said:
I'm starting to think that "turd burglar" is English slang, as I get the impression that Americans aren't really aware of its meaning. :dunno:
Maybe that's part of the issue. It's still mean and angry, but, no where near as bad here.

Here, "duh," is pretty much used in place of, "obviously," but, when I said it to my bubbles, he thought I was calling him stupid. Americans usually have to say effing in front of it, to make it really mean. Maybe this is like that. A note to Americans, "spunk," isn't liveliness in British, it's a thee letter word. "Fanny," isn't bottom, it's. . . Further forward, and female. And, as far as the n word, in America, if you're black, "replace the R, with an A, and everything's okay."

Last edited:
SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Maybe that's part of the issue. It's still mean and angry, but, no where near as bad here.

So... just a little bit homophobic...? :dunno: :p

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Here, "duh," is pretty much used in place of, "obviously," but, when I said it to my bubbles, he thought I was calling him stupid. Americans usually have to say effing in front of it, to make it really mean. Maybe this is like that.

Ha! Yeah -- I'd have thought that saying "duh" to someone meant you were calling them stupid. Huh.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
A note to Americans, "spunk," isn't liveliness in British, it's a thee letter word. "Fanny," isn't bottom, it's. . . Further forward, and female.

Oh, it depends what you're reading! Is Enid Blyton as famous in the US as over here? She would have described bunting as gay, brave characters as "full of spunk" (*snigger*), and then there was Aunt Fanny. But at some point (during the 1960s?) certain words came to mean rather different things!

extremecomfy said:
Can anyone tell me why Honky Tonks exist but if I call my boss a honky I am fired.

I think "honky tonk" relates to music, so I presume it's onomatopoeic. I've never come across "honky", so I've no idea of the background there. :dunno:

Language is a complicated beast... :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back