AddyShadows

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
So if any of you are star trek fans like me, you know that Star Trek is pretty great, but lately their recent blunders with the IP have been pretty bad. Killing the fanfilm Axanar, turning Discovery into a Michael Bay transformers ripoff, and generally ruining the prime timeline, now they've gone and killed Stage 9.

If you don't know what stage 9 is, let me fill you in. Stage 9 is a fan project to recreate the entirety of the Enterprise-D based on the deck plans in Unreal Engine, they spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours making the ship look just right, matching the ship to what we see on screen, you could explore the recreation and even interact with things in it. (Replicators, Firing Torpedos, Fly the ship and shuttles, even cause a core breach) But CBS has given them a Cease and Desist. This is honestly the nail in the coffin for me, First they just have all the "All Access" stuff and now they just start ruining fan projects left and right, projects that have no profit, projects that only increase the popularity of the IP and what do they do? They kill them.

In my opinion CBS is turning into the Electronic Arts of television. I for one, will be putting all of my effort into supporting the Orville from this point forward, at least its creators care about the fans.

Thoughts? How do you feel about this? Was CBS within its rights? Even if they were were they right to do it? Is Star Trek a ruined IP?

Imo, the latest Trek has been pushing some sort of political agenda that has to meet gender and race quotas for whatever reason. Sure Trek in the past always got political, but it always seemed to be unbiased on the political scale, it went for what was right not what one group or the other believed. Now it seems like they've given the middle finger to the fans and have adopted this stupid celebrity agenda that most big tv and movie franchisees have adopted.

So I ask this: What does everyone think about this? Is Trek spiraling down the shitter, or is it just a rough patch that will be forgotten in the long run? And most importantly: What do you think of Stage 9 and it being shutdown?

Well what I understand of IP law (not much tbh) is that in order to maintain ownership of the IP, you legally have to protect it. If they allowed the fan projects to continue and it could be proven that CBS was aware of them, it would be equivalent to releasing the IP into the public domain.

Of course this action is not going to make them popular, but it does show intent to continue on with the Star Trek universe. We can all hope for a show runner that doesn't alienate the fans.

CBS could easily protect their IP and keep the fan project alive if they just got in contact with the guys behind that project and strike a licensing deal. that's what lucasarts wanted to do with frontwire studios, the guys who were remaking the scrapped battlefront game. in their case it didn't work out because of the disney takeover that happened shortly afterwards

For what it's worth, I loved the last season of The Orville. I will be enjoying it again this season.

Star Trek was alright, I've seen all of them. I like Captain Kirk the most though. Not so sure about the new stuff. I personally mostly like watching cartoons though. :smile1:

Musashi said:
Star Trek was alright, I've seen all of them. I like Captain Kirk the most though. Not so sure about the new stuff. I personally mostly like watching cartoons though. :smile1:

Well they did make an animated star trek series... It's on Netflix here in Canada (don't start watching it expecting great things though)

Let's all face the facts here... All CBS sees is a cash cow :cursing:
They have NO... (Zero) idea what is is that has made us Trekers so love the show.

Crinklebutt said:
Well they did make an animated star trek series... It's on Netflix here in Canada (don't start watching it expecting great things though)

I have the entire Star Trek Animated Series on DVD.

- - - Updated - - -

ESPF said:
Let's all face the facts here... All CBS sees is a cash cow :cursing:
They have NO... (Zero) idea what is is that has made us Trekers so love the show.

I concur.
From what I have seen of Fan-produced not-for-profit Star Trek, the Fan-produced stuff has more imagination and are truer to the vision of Star Trek.

I am creating a script, "STAR TREK: CAITIAN GUN - WILL TRAVEL".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back