You used your diaper for what?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddedcowboy

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So this weekend I will be moving. While packing I found that I was in need of some padding elsewhere besides just on my bum. :laugh:

Particularly with my precious newfound collection of steins, my diapers have proven to be the ultimate security blanket to ensure all my fragile items stay safe during the move.

I really can't think of anything else I could of used since I don't keep newspapers and my spare clothes, blankets and towels were already packed.

Just another way my diapers keep me happy.:biggrin:

What are some non-traditional ways you have used your diapers?

Interesting use! I’ve never done it but I’ve been half tempted to use one to soak up oil from both oil changes and under my vintage Maytag washer.

I meant to make the title of this thread "You used your diaper for what?!?!". The grammar Nazi inside me is going berserk! I'll correct it once I can figure out how to...

That’s ok. I wouldn’t worry.

I used to be a pretty avid airbrush artist. They sold this thing about the size of an oatmeal drum that had a hole in the top that you could shoot your airbrush into when cleaning it. After I used it for a while and figured it needed replacing, I cut the thing open to find out what was inside. On the top was some fibrous stuff (I guess to discourage blowback). Underneath, was a rather generic disposable baby diaper.

I've used some of my really old cloth diapers (from when I was an actual baby!) to clean windows in our house. They're excellent for the purpose as they don't leave lint stuck to the glass. :3

I've also heard of some weird stuff being done with horse's hooves and baby diapers. (Horse has an infection, they need to keep it clean while it heals so they wrap a diaper on it to act as a giant bandage.) My favorite idea was to soak a baby diaper with cold water and use it as a head-cooler. Like those neck cooler roll things but for the top of the head.

I'm sure I would have gotten some really really weird looks until I just silently throw one on top of the other persons' head. LOL Then I imagine it would be like "Oh. OH. That's niiiiice."

willnotwill said:
I used to be a pretty avid airbrush artist. They sold this thing about the size of an oatmeal drum that had a hole in the top that you could shoot your airbrush into when cleaning it. After I used it for a while and figured it needed replacing, I cut the thing open to find out what was inside. On the top was some fibrous stuff (I guess to discourage blowback). Underneath, was a rather generic disposable baby diaper.
That’s insane such a thing would be like that from the factory but it sounds like something that the Chinese would do.

- - - Updated - - -

@Cuddle that sounds like it could actually work! I remember picking up one of my dad’s work trucks and there was a diaper in it and I now wonder if that was the reason.

CuddleWoozle said:
I've used some of my really old cloth diapers (from when I was an actual baby!) to clean windows in our house. They're excellent for the purpose as they don't leave lint stuck to the glass. :3

I've also heard of some weird stuff being done with horse's hooves and baby diapers. (Horse has an infection, they need to keep it clean while it heals so they wrap a diaper on it to act as a giant bandage.) My favorite idea was to soak a baby diaper with cold water and use it as a head-cooler. Like those neck cooler roll things but for the top of the head.

I'm sure I would have gotten some really really weird looks until I just silently throw one on top of the other persons' head. LOL Then I imagine it would be like "Oh. OH. That's niiiiice."

I might have to keep some cheap baby diapers around for the window cleaning thing. Im a perfectionist and so I tend to get frustrated when using paper towels to clean my mirrors and windows. I wonder how well it would work hand washing a car.

I hadnt heard about the horse hoof thing. But back when I used to do high speed longboarding, I gained a whole different view of ‘road rash’. My last crash before I decided to quit, I got road rash along my entire leg that I was changing out bandages for over a month. I dreaded every day that I had fo change the gauze. It made me miserable. A few months later I talked with some pro longborders and I mentioned the crash and roadrash. They told me that my problem was that I used gauze pads. They told me I should’ve used baby diapers since they would not stick and form in to the scab like gauze does.

Thankfully I’ve not gotten road rash like that since, but I’ll never forget that bit of advise.

NeverKnow said:
Can't seem to find the whole thing but this is the earliest diaper commercial I remember from my childhood. Can anyone identify the diaper?

EDIT: There are other versions evidently. Don't know which I'd seen.

EDIT: Much higher quality.

Lol! I’m sure it’s been done as a quick temporary fix. A bucket seems to make more sense tho...

I've seen a number of pictures of "redneck repairs" where a diaper was wrapped around a leaky pipe. But I was just thinking of your packing needs, and those are better than bubblewrap because they come with easy to apply tapes to keep them wrapped!

I was helping my dad wax the car, and the rags we were using were leaving lint everywhere. My dad says, "be right back, grabbing a diaper." I just stood there confused, until he came out with some cloth diapers. Made me laugh, but those things worked great!

just make sure YOU are the one unpacking them. it might be hard to explain why you have them. it isnt like old baby diapers that have around forever and used for just about everthing. lol

Brilliant!

Gotta keep your Steins safe, I also really approve of packing things you love together:)

I have heard of using diaper fluff mixed with potting soil for house plants to help keep the soil moist. While I have never personally ripped open a diaper to use the fluff in soil, I have used hydrogel I bought that was specifically marketed as a soil amendment. Using the insides of a diaper would be no different.

Well, not a diaper, but my window leaks when it rains heavily, resulting in a large influx of water coming in on my windowsill. I used ABU Powerups to contain the water.

I 2nd the motor oil idea, in my case the oil filter is horizontal so oil runs out as its loosened. Since this is on a boat-spilling oil isn't an option. I just wrap one underneath the leak zone as I unscrew it, works great.

Not diapers, but absorbent pads: Every time I was heading overseas for an extended time I would clean and oil my firearms liberally. Then I would wrap them completely in the absorbent pads prior to storage. Kept everything nice, clean, and corrosion free for (in some cases) a few years.

Llayden said:
Not diapers, but absorbent pads: Every time I was heading overseas for an extended time I would clean and oil my firearms liberally. Then I would wrap them completely in the absorbent pads prior to storage. Kept everything nice, clean, and corrosion free for (in some cases) a few years.

I can see how oiled rags would not do the job leaving that long and living in some southern states. Luckily this isn’t a huge problem for me where I live because it’s not very humid. I’ll have to remember this trick if I ever leave the west.

paddedcowboy said:
I can see how oiled rags would not do the job leaving that long and living in some southern states. Luckily this isn’t a huge problem for me where I live because it’s not very humid. I’ll have to remember this trick if I ever leave the west.

Yeah, I figured this out when I was stationed in Virginia. I was leaving for quite some time and needed a way to store them safely. I looked at several options, but they were all expensive solutions to combat humidity. The first time I did it, it was a shot in the dark. I oiled liberally and wrapped them completely with large absorbent underpads (that you'd lay down on a mattress or seat) and sealed the wrapped package with packing tape. I then just stored them in their cases.

I was very worried that I would return to piles of rust. I was especially worried since I knew that oils tend to have issues with plastics and can break them down. I didn't have time to experiment the first time, and it was a last minute idea. I got back after a year and they were perfect, no issues and they were clean, slick, and ready for use. It became a common long term storage practice from then on out for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back