The Wizard Of Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starlight99 said:
This is going to sound like the dumbest question ever, but I might as well ask it. Does anyone here have a VHS of The Wizard Of Oz?

There is a video store but how I send you information by pm if you're pm box is full.

Starlight99 said:
Hmmmm....the school would have that one weird employee who kept the funny moments, I know because I am that weird person in many regards. (I turned a home movie of some family, a newspaper in the trash, and an ancient Disney tape into three very insane stories, so I know weird when I sense it.) As for your tapes at your mothers house, are we talking VHS, Beta, or another format?

Mothers house IS my house. XD And they're VHS, if you were asking me. I've considered finding a tape converter and digitizing them all so I could make DVD copies of things. But the brunt of our tape collection is movies that my dad recorded off of HBO back in the 80's. XD (Back when it would be like...$50+ for a tape.)

Starlight99 said:
Wait...THIS COPY?

If you spend enough time in good will you'd be surprised at what turns up in the vhs section.

Also as for the sesame street episode, it actually recently was confirmed by someone with Henson workshop to still exist and he is making efforts trying to persuade higher up to release or at least screen it publicly.

foxkits, put the link on my visitor message section. And CuddleWoozle, those HBO movies can actually be different than the copies on video, so don't clear them or trash them. Honestly, if you guys are thinking of unloading some of your stuff, I'd seriously be up for taking it. I just unearthed a tape out of mud on a farm today (and turned our guest bedroom and bathroom into a film lab in the process), so clearly I'm up for preserving content. If I were you, I wouldn't throw anything away from your collection. ANYTHING. You never know what might be worth something.

Starlight99 said:
foxkits, put the link on my visitor message section. And CuddleWoozle, those HBO movies can actually be different than the copies on video, so don't clear them or trash them. Honestly, if you guys are thinking of unloading some of your stuff, I'd seriously be up for taking it. I just unearthed a tape out of mud on a farm today (and turned our guest bedroom and bathroom into a film lab in the process), so clearly I'm up for preserving content. If I were you, I wouldn't throw anything away from your collection. ANYTHING. You never know what might be worth something.

I don't feel right posting address phone number publicly that is why I wanted to pm it
They have no website .

Have Discord?

Does it count that I read the book?

The book of The Wizard Of Oz?

Yea, verily. It's weird(er). I do that a lot and sometimes I read the book FIRST which is usually a bad choice. Charley and The Chocolate Factory, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang,( by Ian Fleming, same guy who created James Bond) "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" aka Bladerunner, A Clockwork Orange, I Sing The Body Electric, but if you read the book first you'll probably not like the movie. With Wizard, it isn't presented as a long dream sequence. Dorothy, who is not identified as any age group, actually goes to all four of the Witches, really involved.

Yes, the books are usually very different than the movie. Divergent, The Hunger Games, and A Clockwork Orange are good examples of books that are way better than the movies. As for The Wizard Of Oz, it was presented as a real event, which prompted children to write to L. Frank Baum in the hopes that Dorothy's adventures in Oz would continue, which resulted in many more books written by Baum and other authors. (A 1989 book listed the final number of Oz books as 63.) The only reason I like watching the movie first is so I know what the world and the characters look like.

Finally someone else reads the books. XD

They were doing that "OOH EHH OHH" march song at work and I said "What the heck? When did we get Winkie guards?" And everyone stared at me like "What?" I then had to explain that they were Winkies and had been enslaved by the Witch of the West and that's why they ended up not being totally pissed at Dorothy for killing her. And also that there were TWO good witches...

CuddleWoozle said:
Finally someone else reads the books. XD

They were doing that "OOH EHH OHH" march song at work and I said "What the heck? When did we get Winkie guards?" And everyone stared at me like "What?" I then had to explain that they were Winkies and had been enslaved by the Witch of the West and that's why they ended up not being totally pissed at Dorothy for killing her. And also that there were TWO good witches...

The "O, Brother, where art thou?" movie had the Klan marchers doing that.

LittleSissieJolie said:
The "O, Brother, where art thou?" movie had the Klan marchers doing that.

Yeah, I always end up having a little chuckle at the absurdity of them ACTUALLY doing that. Too bad you can't throw water on mean people and make them melt. XD

I found my 50th anniversary addition of the VHS tape and it has several edited sectons in it and the behind the scene info.

I am the proud owner of one of those tapes, egor. Just know (if you haven't learned the hard way) that you need to be very careful with that tape. A breeze could break that box (although gravity broke mine). As for the deleted scenes on the tape, some small bits of deleted scenes are seen on the trailer, the Texas Promotional Trailer has the only known footage of Buddy Ebsen as the Tin Man to survive (he's not in costume but he's still on the set), Ebsen's version of "If I Only Had A Heart" is one of the few pieces of Richard Thorpe's version to survive (Thorpe filmed everything from the beginning of the Scarecrow scene to the end of the Tin Man scene, and everything at the Witch's castle, but his footage was deemed unusable, and it is now considered lost and possibly destroyed), the footage of "The Jitterbug" is only some rehearsal footage shot by Harold Arlen (the film's composer), and the Scarecrow Dance scene is the only deleted scene known to exist in its entirety. These are great special features, but they can now be easily found on a DVD or Blu-Ray. The only ones that can't are the book and the trailer, which was created for the 1955 theatrical reissue. All releases from 1993 onwards have the 1949 reissue trailer, with this one completely forgotten. Being that I haven't watched a DVD of The Wizard Of Oz yet (my DVD at this point has only been used to pair the movie with The Dark Side Of The Moon), my review of this tape is that despite the bad sound and high amount of film damage, the Oz scenes had the best color on this tape. It's a shame the studios didn't take that into consideration when making the newer releases. Had you or your family went shopping a year earlier, they would've wound up with either the 1985 or 1988 VHS (same tape, different box), which was utterly disappointing. Everyone wants the 1988 tape because of the box (it has the Witch holding her crystal ball and a picture of Dorothy and everyone else on the crystal ball), but it's only when you watch the tape that you realize you truly did pay for a box. I get that many VHS tapes were of inferior quality, but the early copies of The Wizard Of Oz (essentially, everything before the 1988 Criterion laserdisc or the 1989 MGM/UA release) go beyond inferior. They're literally somewhere between "holy shit, this is awful" and "I think the TV's broken."

As for the video on eBay, just as they were about to check the tape, someone else bought it. So I'm still shit out of luck on that one.

I have several releases of the Wizard of Oz on VHS

Starlight99 said:
This is going to sound like the dumbest question ever, but I might as well ask it. Does anyone here have a VHS of The Wizard Of Oz?
I have the Wizard of OZ on blu-ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back