Common and funny triggers

daylight

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hey all,

I was musing over today's triggers (common, funny) that caused my bladder to compress/empty. BTW The advertisement jingle, 'what's in your wallet?' was stuck in my head as I was mentally ticking off triggers. So, I thought if I write them down, the jingle would stop.

• Doors - Standing at a threshold. Car doors too. I try to strike the checking phone or lost in thought pose to mask the fact the bladder is pressing down
  • Nespresso machine - Oddly, I cannot touch or look at my Nespresso running. The vibration and watching it cycle causes me to wet
  • Gas pump - I cannot touch the gas pump handle without bladder contractions
  • Sawzall - Okay with a drill, but that evil sawzall
  • Pressure washer - This one caught me today, the vibration for the hose contacted my torso and my bladder went nuts.
  • Electric tooth brush - Over the sink is doom but, walking around the house whilst brushing is okay. Go figure.
  • Downward facing dog. What's with this pose?

What's [in] your trigger [wallet]?

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add the thread mill. I try to empty before, but three minutes in, it's bladder time.

One of my triggers is running water

My bladder will let go pretty much any time I stand up from sitting, or stop walking after I've been walking for a while. So all those things like opening the front door or standing at the kitchen sink or waiting to cross the road etc, are just because I was walking around and now I'm not. It's never a flood (except first thing in the morning when I stand up out of bed), just a dribble at a time.

Audible triggers like running water or buzzing/hissing sounds don't work for me any more (though they used to before my condition started).

My triggers:

* Waking up in the morning. Pretty much as soon as I open my eyes, out it comes
* Getting to the car after work
* Arriving home from work, either stepping out of the car, or getting to the front door
* Doing anything in the kitchen
* Drinking water
* Stepping into the shower
* lying on the lounge with my feet up, watching TV
* Standing at the petrol bowser, filling up the car.
* Walking around the grocery store, as soon as I stop, I wet...
* If I get any urge at all whilst driving, as soon as I stop at lights, or stop the car, I wet...
* Sometimes, I've just finished taping up a fresh new nappy, I wet... I really do like the feel of a new nappy, but alas my body tends to disagree!
* making breakfast at work

Dunno what all this means in my developing and continuing IC issues. I'm discovering more triggers all the time.

ozziebee said:
My triggers:

* Arriving home from work, either stepping out of the car, or getting to the front door
* Drinking water
* If I get any urge at all whilst driving, as soon as I stop at lights, or stop the car, I wet...
* Sometimes, I've just finished taping up a fresh new nappy, I wet... I really do like the feel of a new nappy, but alas my body tends to disagree!

Dunno what all this means in my developing and continuing IC issues. I'm discovering more triggers all the time.

Like me then basically anything causes you to wet.

Listening to or seeing flowing water is well documented as inducing a person to pee. It's even got a name, call synesthesia. Doesn't matter if it's a running sink, coffee machine, or even gas being pumped.

Vibrations are well known to induce the same reactionary need to pee, though it's less understood. It's also worth noting that certain low frequency sounds can make a person loose their bowels too.

And obviously any position or movement that can rapidly apply or relieve pressure on the bladder can trigger the need to pee. Getting up, sitting down, certain yoga poses (like the downward dog) , even accelerating/decelerating in a car can all be easily applied situations. Heck, for me just taking a deep breath will make me pee a little.

ozziebee said:
My triggers:

* Drinking water

I can relate to all these triggers. I can one more, tapping my phone, makes me wet myself.

ozziebee said:
My triggers:

Ha! I find myself sometimes caught in a loop of walk, urge, walk, urge,.. Too afraid to stop walking because I know what's going to happen!

If I'm super tired, I start blink sleeping. The problem with that is it immediately makes my bladder loosen up. Talk about wet naps.

My primary trigger for my incontinence is standing up to go use the bathroom. Weather it is to go pee or poop, I find I have about 2 to 3 minutes to get to the bathroom otherwise I will have an accident in my pants. The only difference is when I wake up or have diarrhea, I will have an accident within the first 90 seconds of standing up. As a result, I cannot sleep without a diaper and I cannot leave home without wearing a diaper to keep my accidents contained. I can always feel the pressure to go to the bathroom building just like normal, but when I stand to go use the bathroom, I rapidly loose control of whatever needs to come out.

My most common daytime triggers are getting up after sitting or lying down. At night, I sometimes wet at night while asleep and always when I get out of bed.

Coffee or caffeine and running water.

However I was told my incontinence is neurological due to being on the the autism spectrum. I don’t even feel that I’ve wet myself so I’m not really sure trigger wise what causes it but oh well it’s life

I have no triggers known personally, the only thing I know that ensures that my bed is wet is not to put disposable diaper xD otherwise it is quite rare that my disposable diaper of the night fill up alone, but it happens at times, it can also happen to me the day but it is very rare it makes me that if I'm not too stressed, something that has not happened to me for about 10 years ..., but that should change in the next few years, anyway it does not matter to me since I'm DL and I wear Always a disposable diaper, in the first place for the comfort side, comfort, and also for the practical side of course.

- - - Updated - - -

But I am a bit incontinent but not medically, only psychological, to reassure you I can certify that there is nothing medical since I Do the tests :)

Running water for me as well, even though I cannot force it. So running water on purpose when trying to release urine does not help in my case; I'm probably too focused on the water and the attempt to empty my bladder....

Apart from that there are diffuse triggers which are not evident: motion, nervousness or fatigue.

I use to restroom before going to bed get all diapered up lie down and pee it never fails
Running water, doing laundry, getting out of car, standing up etc etc etc

More of a bowel trigger. After going as much as I can, I find that wiping clean back there can sometimes trigger me to need to go some more. Usually just enough for me to need to start wiping clean all over again.

Slomo said:
...wiping clean back there can sometimes trigger me to need to go some more. Usually just enough for me to need to start wiping clean all over again.

That is so annoying. Good for the TP companies, but so annoying. Hemorrhoids can make getting clean more difficult as the folds can entrap matter (TMI sorry). I installed a Japanese style toilet (power wash, dry, etc) last week and it helps a lot with the post BM residual stuff. Otherwise, I would often get rashes because of stuff and moisture. To heap more sighs is that after a BM, I have frequent bladder urges/leaks for a hour (+/-) afterwards. Pelvic floor issues I suspect; will need to talk with my uro on the next appointment.

Happy holidays

Although I'm not daytime incon, there are some mornings when I wake up with an extremely full bladder or bowels and rolling over or standing up causes it to release. It's like I could stop it if I tried hard enough but why bother when I'm already in my night diaper?

Back