Not open for further replies.

Wuggle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
I have in my closet, a large pile of baby blankets of various shapes, sizes, prints and materials, because for many years, I've been on the hunt to find "the one". A blanket that I could emotionally connect with and that could be "my" blankie to provide comfort and familiarity in a world that leaves me with severe crippling anxiety.

After so many years of searching, I began to dispair of ever finding the connection I was looking for, until I remembered that my two favourite stuffies, who provide much security in their own right, were both made by me.

I decided to try my hand at making my own security blanket, but I knew in order to forge the bond properly, I couldn't just take two squares of fabric and slap them together; that requires no effort, no time or craftsmanship. I had to be artistically proud of the end result, and so, below is the fruit of my labour.

Thirty six-inch flannel squares trimmed with satin ribbon and with a solid print backing made of the white and purple flower fabric, two squares of which appear in the patchwork (they were to replace two squares of the green elephant fabric that I cut too small). I chose the mint green satin ribbon particularly, because for reasons that I can't articulate, that colour seems to have embedded itself in my memories of my early childhood, and so I knew it had to appear on the blanket. I will admit to being pleased with the end result, if I do say so myself. :D

blanket.jpg

It looks like you did a great job.

Thank you! :biggrin:

Looks fantastic! Do you think you made "the one"?

Great job. I have an Afghan my wife crocheted me 33 years ago and it is still my most prized possession.

Very nice!

Thanks guys :D Makubird, I think I may indeed have found "the one". The flannel and ribbon together are so soft that I can bury my face in it while sucking my thumb and just zone out for ages. Just having it on my lap makes me feel calmer and safer in a way none of the other blankets ever seemed to, and I can look at all the cute animals on the various squares (it's hard to tell from the picture, but there are duckies, farm animals, bears, elephants and giraffes) and know that they're protecting me. Time will tell, but I think I may have done it!

I just saw today that someone made my dad's friend's grandson a quilt like this, with squares of all different designs and his name on it. My aunt is also crocheting an afghan for one of the aides in her nursing home who is pregnant.

And a couple years ago I was visiting my elderly neighbor, and she was making a blanket for her grandson that said ''BABY'' on it - and her grandson was like, 18. Apparently she never made him a baby blanket so she was making up for it. I was a bit envious. I guess I still am. I have a little baby afghan I won in a raffle, but it's not quite the same. It stays in my rocking chair with some of my plushies.

But I know that feeling about the world just being so uncertain and anxiety-inducing; I deal with it pretty much everyday.

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
I just saw today that someone made my dad's friend's grandson a quilt like this, with squares of all different designs and his name on it. My aunt is also crocheting an afghan for one of the aides in her nursing home who is pregnant.

And a couple years ago I was visiting my elderly neighbor, and she was making a blanket for her grandson that said ''BABY'' on it - and her grandson was like, 18. Apparently she never made him a baby blanket so she was making up for it. I was a bit envious. I guess I still am. I have a little baby afghan I won in a raffle, but it's not quite the same. It stays in my rocking chair with some of my plushies.

But I know that feeling about the world just being so uncertain and anxiety-inducing; I deal with it pretty much everyday.

I used to have a bright orange blanket that an old lady who was staying in the hospital where I was born knitted for me. I was a preemie and spent four months in hospital before going home, a time span which stretched over Christmas, so I ended up getting a number of cute knitted creatures from people in the geriatric wards. I still have that blanket in a box somewhere, but it's unravelled and has large holes in it, so it's a "retired" blankie. It served its time, and now it gets to rest.

Omg I love it that's so dang cute!

Thanks Sheepies! :D

I am _so_ __so__ ___SO___ jealous right now of that blankie. I'd so bond with it! I dont recall ever having a baby blankey Id bonded to as an infant/toddler. I did have a teddy bear that went everywhere with me.

A beautiful blankie like rhat right now, I'd cherish!

Lovely work! So, umm, where can I get one from?

ozziebee said:
I am _so_ __so__ ___SO___ jealous right now of that blankie. I'd so bond with it! I dont recall ever having a baby blankey Id bonded to as an infant/toddler. I did have a teddy bear that went everywhere with me.

A beautiful blankie like rhat right now, I'd cherish!

Lovely work! So, umm, where can I get one from?

Lol, I love Etsy for all things cute and crafty. I've searched for baby blankets on there before now, and I've found some pretty nice ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Here Ozzie, I even looked up "patchwork baby blankets" and found a few you might like :D

https://www.etsy.com/listing/595233...ket&ref=sr_gallery-1-6&organic_search_click=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/561512...et&ref=sr_gallery-1-11&organic_search_click=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/553113...et&ref=sr_gallery-1-15&organic_search_click=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/556805...et&ref=sr_gallery-1-36&organic_search_click=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back