Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stickshift?

All my other automatic cars have a 1 and 2 Gear, or equivalently named. Just shift there and you will be engine breaking. With my Mustang, I can paddle shift down no problem. Its raining here, otherwise I'd be driving it more.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    All my other automatic cars have a 1 and 2 Gear, or equivalently named. Just shift there and you will be engine breaking. With my Mustang, I can paddle shift down no problem. Its raining here, otherwise I'd be driving it more.
    Well yeah, but ultimately you can control the amount of engine brake by the way you release the clutch. In an automatic you would have to shift to neutral and wait for the moment to kick in G1 or G2.

I shift between D and 1/2 in the winter with no problems at all, you don't need to go into neutral.. its an automatic

I've driven manual & auto off-road where traction can be zero and control is critical - autos are kinder on the transmission and you can "point-and-squirt" to get up a climb, but manuals have the edge for control everywhere else (and tolerate faults better).

It's all marginal though, despite the fact that any thread on this subject anywhere on the internet will degenerate into a holy war / willy waggling... it's as much personal preference as anything these days. Drive what you like and wear what you like whilst doing it!

Yes, can drive a stick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive a Stick.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	31794  

i live here,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_0129a0022 Standard e-mail view.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	31795

so i'd opt for manual all the time. aside from a manual [clutch] allowing control over power delivery to the wheels, a manual [gearbox] also allows you to select a higher gear for low power starts.

i did used to have an automatic, an Audi 100 Avant, and it was a bit of a handful in slippery conditions, and i also had to leave it at the bottom of the hill on a few wintery nights (too heavy and with too little control over the power for getting up an icy hill and then to have to come down the following day, negotiating bends).
    also, before getting injured, i did drive counterbalance FLTs on a daily basis, at a fast pace (the kind of pace that they don't/won't show on the telly because it's illegal, but which employers still demand); most CB FLTs are automatic, having just a direction lever and, combined with a lack of a limited slip diff or diff-lock, are absolutely shit in the wet, mud, snow and ice. in fact, the winter and the reason i was injured, you could engage drive on the FLTs and, without even touching the throttle, they would just sit there with wheels spinning away, going nowhere.

I can. Still do daily. Next car will be automatic, though so my mate can drive it also, since she doesn't want to learn stick.

I have driven a shift stick aka manual for a majority of my life. Got an automatic at the moment, its great for crappy traffic though. When I learnt to drive HGV trucks, again that was shift stick.