Status
Not open for further replies.

Makubird

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I am increasingly curious about sleeping in an adult size cot with bars like this one: https://adultbabymoebel.hpage.com/bettchen-wiegen-liegen/gitterbett-standard-plus-2010.html. I have wanted that for a long time but the urge is getting stronger.

I am aware of the inconveniences like the size and difficulty to hide it from guests. But if I really want one, I can find a way to manage that. For example, the cot in the link can be easily disassembled.

Is there a way to get somewhat of the experience and feeling of sleeping in a cot without actually sleeping in one? And do you have experience with the company from the link?

They give the measurements, so would you fit in it? If not, I think you'd be very uncomfortable.

Oh, it is full adult size so I will fit. But the size also makes it more difficult to put it away if needed.

My question is about my doubt whether it is worth the investment. Will I really like it as much as I think I will? I was hoping for some advice on how to get the feeling of sleeping in a cot without actually having one.

Might be a stupid idea, but maybe get a large refrigerator cardboard box or something of similar size, and carve slats into it to create a makeshift crib. I love lying in cardboard boxes because of the feeling of safety I get from the high walls, which I'm assuming is at least one of your expectations in owning a crib?

I built my own around a twin mattress. I love it. I look forward to sleeping in it every night. There just seems to be this peaceful calm that comes over me when the side is pulled up, closing me in for the night. The bars are wood and fold down in half so that the crib looks like a somewhat juvenile day bed when not in use.
It would be pretty hard to have an adult sized crib that wasn't a little bit conspicuous. :eek:

I spent a lot of time designing it as realistic as possible. A lot of measuring and making it so it looks like a real baby's crib, but still fitting in a bedroom. I you just scale a crib up it would be nine feet tall. Mine is six feet tall and has four foot sides. Tall enough that I wouldn't want to have to go over the railing lol. The hardest part is making the side rails with all the bars. That took a long time to make.

Metoo said:
I built my own around a twin mattress. I love it. I look forward to sleeping in it every night. There just seems to be this peaceful calm that comes over me when the side is pulled up, closing me in for the night. The bars are wood and fold down in half so that the crib looks like a somewhat juvenile day bed when not in use.
It would be pretty hard to have an adult sized crib that wasn't a little bit conspicuous. :eek:

I spent a lot of time designing it as realistic as possible. A lot of measuring and making it so it looks like a real baby's crib, but still fitting in a bedroom. I you just scale a crib up it would be nine feet tall. Mine is six feet tall and has four foot sides. Tall enough that I wouldn't want to have to go over the railing lol. The hardest part is making the side rails with all the bars. That took a long time to make.

That sounds fantastic! Could you share some pictures?

Makubird said:
That sounds fantastic! Could you share some pictures?

I'll see what I can do. I'm functionally illiterate when I comes to computers lol.:damnpc:

What I am planning to do is theme out my bedroom as a 'bee garden' eventually.

And my idea of making my own 'crib' (more like a toddler bed, really 'cause that's what I like) is to take pre-made picket fence and attach it around the bed. Making it taller at the head and foot (maybe arched like the gates usually are?) and a bit shorter on the sides. I only want it to come up about a foot or a foot and a half above my mattress.

If you're wondering the reasoning I'm giving people, it's that I really do have a tendency to roll out of bed. XD And they don't make big enough 'safety rails' for my bed. The ones they have work, but they're kind of funky most of the time and I don't like that. I might just go with "Enchanted Garden" where there are all kinds of cool things coming around. (Like unicorns and other animals.)

This is what I'm aiming for, but with the fence carried on around the front. (I'm going to put a 'gate' into it that I can open in the middle of the bed so I can get in and out.

Also, I just stumbled over this when I was looking for that picture of the toddler version of the bed I want to make: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/bab...nce-barrier-for-bed-baby-bed/32836496644.html It turns an adult sized bed into a baby 'play pen'. Looks like it can go on and off pretty easy and comes in several colors. XD

One thing I have considered doing is buying a couple of tall bed rails. You can get them in varying sizes and heights for varying prices, the one in the link below is nearly a meter tall at 93cm (71cm from the matrass), and would be fairly easy to disasemble and hide away. If your bed is against one wall like mine you would only need 3, and if against two walls you would only need 2. Either way, much cheaper than buying a custom made cot and less labour intensive than building one yourself, and that's assuming you have the skills.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FKYHW4W/?coliid=I3JSSFW5CVJVOV&colid=1FQCDMT0T2GO2&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks CuddleWoozle and Littl3Luk3 for your great ideas. And CuddleWoozle, I really hope you can realize your 'bee garden' very soon.

Somewhat in line with your suggestions I have been looking at playpens that I can set up around a mattress on the floor. Something like this: https://babyartikelen.aanbod.be/playpen-grondbox-octagon-7-2m-naturel-inklapbaar
Also easier to hide than a full size bed :smile1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back