Mac Fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaLionMan1982

Techie in Atlanta looking to meet people.
Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
  4. Carer
Any other Mac fans out there? I like my MacBook Air it’s my primary computer even though I have two other laptops.

I never got into them too much. I used them at school and was told by my Graphic Arts teacher that if I was going into art that I would 'have to' get a Mac. I'm a little shithead who won't do what people tell me to do and I said "No. I won't. Because an operating system has no bearing on my skill as an artist." XD We fussed back and forth about that until I graduated.

I really should do something really kick-ass and take it back to the high school and go "NO MACS MISTAH B!" LOL

I can use any system. Windows, Mac or Linux. (I actually like Linux better than Mac because everything is pretty much free and if it stinks you just let people know and they try to fix it so it doesn't.)

If you were curious, I used Mac OS 9 back in high school and they got new computers my senior year so I got to play around with OS X for a bit before I graduated.

I am typing this on a Macbook Pro. It's mostly OK, although the keyboard sucks royally (and has already been replaced once under warranty).
The only good this thing I can say is that they beat the royal suckage Dell gave me on my PC.

I spend most of my computer time on my IPad. It's fast and easy to use. My wife had one as well. I'm typing this on my Windows based desktop however.

Never touch a Mac and never will.

I wanna start of by saying that I'm not gamer. If you're a gamer, Windows is better. While that's becoming less and less of an issue, Windows flat out beats Apple when it comes to gaming support. So depending on the user's needs, that changes which type of device is more suitable. Now, time to begin my rant...

I hate to admit it, but I'm a bit of an Apple whore hehe

Although I don't just blindly drink the cool-aid and automatically think Apple hardware is the end all be all. I have a MacBookPro as my main computer I use the most and a MacBook Air I use as my carry around/mobile computer if I don't need the extra horsepower my MBP offers. I also, up until recently, had a PC that I really liked and used too until it got stolen from me :disgust:. But nonetheless, I preferred and used my MBP more.

I will say, that Windows is definitely better with hardware and software support. My Adobe CS6 software is starting to become incompatible with the updated MacOS system, but I can count on that software to work on Windows nearly indefinitely. I also have some external audio hardware (a couple of DACs, a midi hub etc.) and while so far all this is compatible on both my MBP and PC, I can trust that it'll work much longer with my PC.

Also, Apple quality is going down hill IMO. I'm still salty as heck that they took the headphone jack out of the iPhone instead of you know, using ingenious engineering to maintain features while also making a more capable device (like how they use to do). Now they have the gull to charge $1000+ for their phones, quite frankly I'm very disappointed and insulted by such things and can't believe consumers are okay with that behavior.

Secondly, my MBP is the model just before they come out with the newer models with the touch bar, and I am super glad I didn't get one of the newer models. I have a total of 7 ports:

2 x USB3 ports
2 x Thunderbolt2 ports
1 x HDMI port
1 x 3.5mm headphone/optical jack
1 x SD card slot
Plus the charging port

The new MBP's has 5 ports...
4 x USB C ports
1 x 3.5mm headphone/optical jack

For a high end, professional piece of hardware, that is unacceptable. When I'm at my workstation, I will either be using nearly all my ports or have maybe one available (and I use USB hub(s)). I wouldn't want to rely on more USB hubs than I already have to and sometimes the latency caused by an additional USB hub can cause issues. Having a dedicated HDMI port, thunderbolt ports, and USB ports means I can split my external peripherals across the various busses. So instead of having every external device being shared across the USB buss, I can split the load. The new MacBookPro shares all of it’s external devices across its USB buss. I can also charge my device without sacrificing a port.

Also, the touch bar is really cool, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice my function keys for it. I'd rather have both or just keep the function keys imo. They work well, no need to take away something that ain't broke (*cough* headphone jack *cough*cough*)

So those are the things that I think Apple can improve. They certainly are not perfect.

Buuuut…MacOS is a superior operating system compared to Windows 10 (except for video game support), especially for programming, all in my opinion of course. I'm not sure if OS X ever had a defragment option (even before SSDs existed) since the architecture of OS X made defragging unnecessary. MacOS is generally more secure than Windows based PC’s and while this isn’t exactly because of the MacOS design, it’s still a legitimate benefit of using it. Apple’s tight/strict control over their operating system does make software behave more consistently. For the most part I know where to look when I need to find either a new piece of installed software or a dependency installed with some software. This isn't quite as easy on Windows, although I'm less familiar with the deeper inner workings of Windows and Windows is getting better with this. The big thing for me though is the fact that MacOS is based on on the Unix kernel (which I also think is the reason it’s generally more stable compared to Windows). This makes it a VERY nice environment to program on compared to Windows.

Apple also maintains stricter standards on the hardware they put in their hardware. For instance, the processors they get from Intel have more rigorous and thorough testing and the bus controllers they’re soldering to their motherboards are also spec’d to run more consistently compared to most PCs. This doesn’t mean that there aren’t PCs spec’d as intensely, but PC’s have such a broad range of standards with the majority of them not not put together with the same attention to detail (which does not ALWAYS equate to an inferior machine, but always equates to a more fairly priced machine).

Although in all honesty, I'm actually looking forward to when my MacBook Air has trouble supporting the newest MacOS version cause that means I get to turn it into a Linux machine :)

So ya, I'm a Mac fan :D. I'm also a huge geek and a fan of most hardware in general though! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back