Medical Workers and Protective Undergarments

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOCKMAN

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I am curious. For any medical workers at Hospitals or equivalent, is there ever any discussion about patients that check in wearing diapers, etc. or due to a certain surgery are told they will wake up in a diaper as a precaution or is it just take it each moment at a time and deal with that situation at that moment?

In other words, do hospital staff plan with other staff about this issue or just wing it as it comes up (patient check in wearing a diaper, patient requesting a diaper, patient wetting the bed and staff should encourage the use of a diaper). Do you ever discuss with management about buying better quality diapers for patients or to just keep using the same "lower quality" that so many others on this forum keep noting?

JOCKMAN said:
I am curious. For any medical workers at Hospitals or equivalent, is there ever any discussion about patients that check in wearing diapers, etc. or due to a certain surgery are told they will wake up in a diaper as a precaution or is it just take it each moment at a time and deal with that situation at that moment?

In other words, do hospital staff plan with other staff about this issue or just wing it as it comes up (patient check in wearing a diaper, patient requesting a diaper, patient wetting the bed and staff should encourage the use of a diaper). Do you ever discuss with management about buying better quality diapers for patients or to just keep using the same "lower quality" that so many others on this forum keep noting?

I know when I passed out in Boston and was taken to a local hospital My high end diaper was completely full of urine and they put me in a thin blue greenish plastic backed diaper that by time I was discharged from the ER They had to change me twice and had to go home with their diaper and just about made it home before I would have leaked that thing was soaked.

If you come in wearing a diaper, we'll offer you one of ours (generic Cardinal diapers). That's all we got.
If you bring some of yours, we'll use those.

That's interesting. You'd think if they upgraded to higher quality diapers, they'd save time and money because people wouldn't go through as many of them. I'm sure that would be appreciated by patients and nurses alike, because changing a stranger's diaper can't be fun, and I'm sure the person being changed is embarrassed at needing to be changed by a stranger as well.

So...basically if you want 'decent' diapers you have to "BYOP"? XD (Bring your own padding)

I wondered about if you went in unconscious...if they'd just cath you or if they'd put padding back on you.

Wuggle said:
That's interesting. You'd think if they upgraded to higher quality diapers, they'd save time and money because people wouldn't go through as many of them. I'm sure that would be appreciated by patients and nurses alike, because changing a stranger's diaper can't be fun, and I'm sure the person being changed is embarrassed at needing to be changed by a stranger as well.

There are certain rules that hospital staff have that pretty much make scheduled changing mandate something like changes every 4 hours for incontinence patients so US hospitals won't opt for diapers that will exceed those estimates

rennecfox said:
There are certain rules that hospital staff have that pretty much make scheduled changing mandate something like changes every 4 hours for incontinence patients so US hospitals won't opt for diapers that will exceed those estimates

Or then you'd have people going on about how they were 'left in a wet diaper for six hours!' even when it had the capacity for six times what they put in it. Regular people see a time frame for changes as more important than capacity. "I was only wet for about five minutes and they came right in and took care of it!" sounds better to most people. (And probably because a lot of people don't like diapers like we do)

The cardinals aren't bad, just not tremendous. In an hospital (as opposed to nursing or rehab), we're usually keeping a fairly close tab on you (and yes we have to weigh those blasted things).

My experience as an incontinent patient is that every hospital just wings it as it comes up. I could tell my doctor beforehand, and the nurse at check in. And the nurses in surgery prep and in recovery will have no clue I need diapers. Usually when I request a diaper it will take them some time to go get a bag or even just one diaper from their stock room.

And every hospital I've been to (dozens of them unfortunately) only carry the thinnest cheapest crap. Seriously, store brand tabbed diaper are better. You do not want to use them. And forget about using one for 4+ hours, they barely last 30 minutes before needing to be changed. Always bring your own spares!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back