Not open for further replies.

Wuggle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
I want to try transitioning to cloth diapers, as I've started needing to wear 24/7, but can't afford to keep buying disposables. I've never used a cloth diaper in my life, and so need some advice for you experts. I currently go through an average of 3 BetterDrys a day, and so would like something of a similar absorbency, preferably while maintaining a maximum thickness equivalent to a BetterDry (thinner is preferable, since the BetterDrys are quite bulky and hard to hide, but I imagine that will be hard to come by).

I've seen some that use velcro rather than pins, and think I would prefer that. I also want your opinions on prefolded vs ordinary square diapers. Do any of you use cloth only 24/7? Roughly how many do you think I'll need to buy in order to not be doing laundry every single day? Also, what's the deal with rubber pants? Do all cloth diapers require them? Any other advice you think would be good to know is appreciated as well, thanks guys!

If you're going through 3 BetterDrys daily, you might be able to make 4 of the Rearz bulky nighttime diapers last the course ... if you have a toddler-sized prefold or two as a soaker.

These will certainly require plastic pants (I can recommend the heavier Gary pants - 7mm thick) but they are the most absorbent cloth diaper I've tried in 33 years of wearing. They also fasten with Velcro® and are very easy to manage. I have six at the moment, which last me an entire day, but I'm a heavy wetter.

Don't even think about getting through the day with a similar number of pocket diapers or even adult-sized prefolds. You'd need a half-dozen at least.

If you start with a dozen cloth diapers that would probably be fine. I change mine 4 times a day, maybe once more if I have a messy accident. If you need them, you can always get more. A diaper pail is a necessity as are plastic pants--5 or 6 pairs. Flat diapers that you can fold to fit you with pins are probably a good way to start. There are many standard diaper folds that you can try. Once you find a size that is just right, you may want to order some with velcro (or make your own). Some all-in-one diapers do not require waterproof pants, but the waterproof part wears out a long time before the diaper and becomes very expensive.

I would recommend starting off with 2 cloth diapers. I like contour or prefold diapers, an add 2 more when you find out what you feel more comfortable. I think Velcro will work but Velcro can wear out requiring replacing the Velcro or the diaper. Pins are cheap, and haven't worn out. I use PUL diaper covers because they are washable but need to air dry. As you build your diaper supply (as finances warrant) your diapers will become more comfortable, and softer. I wear 3 to 4 diapers a day with boosters. Washing diapers must be done every other day, Wash 4 then wear 4 so 8 diapers are a good start.

Slow your roll... only you can decide whats comfortabe and works. Your enthusiasm is great but as Alwayz said, get a few and tell us how it goes. It would be possible to spend a bunch on something you dont want to use. Ease into it and we can give you better advice based on your feedback.

Yeah, I was going to start with one each of a couple of different brands until I find one I like. I've found one that I like the look of and which is pretty cheap (I'm always cautious about balancing price with quality, as one generally gets what one pays for). I've ordered one so far, and the seller has told me that they will be listing their inserts for sale separately in the near future so I can get extras to use as doublers if I need them. I've also been told that these ones don't require the use of plastic pants, as the outer shell is waterproof. Time and experience will tell if that's an accurate assertion. It seems to be a fairly new company, with few sales to base a quality judgement on, but it does have at least one positive review on Amazon from earlier this year. Below is the link where I bought it.

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1495679268

I decided to try cloth awhile back and tried flat pieces but but found it too difficult to get it folded and fitting correctly so I went to all in ones.

I bought these with two inserts. This is a one size fit all and you can just about position the tabs wherever
https://littleaussiemonster.com.au/p...-cloth-diaper/

Justo said:
I decided to try cloth awhile back and tried flat pieces but but found it too difficult to get it folded and fitting correctly so I went to all in ones.

I bought these with two inserts. This is a one size fit all and you can just about position the tabs wherever
https://littleaussiemonster.com.au/p...-cloth-diaper/

That's odd, it's telling me the page doesn't exist. Maybe I can't see it because I'm not in Australia? That would be a little strange.

Ah yes, I see it now. Have you tried it out? If so, how does it work for you?

Well as a cloth diaper wearer forever, I decided to go to disposables.so just the reverse. Why the change for me....tired of washing diapers,love the new prints now available...but yes the cost is up. I used contours,flannel prefolds 2-4-2 thickness,adult diaper pins in fun colors...velcro is terrible to wash and to wear and of course diaper covers from Kins. I posted on e bay to sell the entire collection and that is a place you may want to buy and try first. What I loved about cloth is you WILL feel wet when you need a diaper change. Also with cloth you can always add diapers if needed if you start leaking.

Wuggle said:

I wear (but not use) nightly and its very comfortable.
I did test it out once and it worked well.

Wuggle said:
Most modern cloth diapers don't work like you think they would. They're cheap and they don't function much at all as they hold very little. There's only one brand that I've tried that you can actually get some use out of. I have personally made a review for them here on the forums, they're called Ecoables. I'm sure if you search for it you can find it rather easily. Go there if you want further details. Depending on the size you need they go for about $25-$30, but are worth the price.

I'm not sure if you're actually IC or not, but if you need night protection, I'd recommend using prefolds for that, especially if you're a side sleeper. They have a much wider/all around coverage area. You don't have to use pins, you can use 2 Snappi fasteners instead along with plastic pants on top.

Cloth diapers can be expensive to start out with, but can save you money over time. You may need some adjustment time, but if I were you, I wouldn't go all in on cloth diapers, it would be pretty annoying traveling and carrying them around with you, especially the used ones. Save the cloth diapers for home use, proper cloth diapers are pretty bulky and will look like you have a diapered butt. You'll still save a lot of money by alternating.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back