2Little2Late

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Carer
Hi everyone.

I am really shy about making this post, also am sorry if this is a duplicate post, but I am also curious so with all that said. . .

I plan on trying out diapers for the first time and never tried to put them on. Was wanting to know if there is a correct way to put on a diaper on myself and use the tapes correctly so it doesn't leak overnight?

I do the bottom tapes first and then the top. However, I am a side sleeper and I haven't had good luck with overnight unless I wear plastic pants which can be hot and uncomfortable. I'm a heavy wetter which is part of the problem. People say cloth with plastic pants are best for night time but I haven't tried that yet. For daytime I like Bambino Magnifico because I can adjust the Velcro tabs to better get it right.

lower tapes first, middle then top. the bag will have a step by step.

Exciting! I vividly remember my first time (after being potty trained).

First thing I will suggest is taking a look at this thread. I’m sure you’ll find it very helpful: https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php/83448-How-to-Put-On-a-Diaper

Here’s my personal advice...
- Go with a premium diaper that has leak guards. This is the most important advise I can give!

I usually wear without the slightest worry of leaking for about 8 hours. (If you need some suggestions on brands, just ask. I’m sure people here will be happy to chime in).

- Get the right size. Most adult diapers tend to fit smaller or larger than advertised. Feel free to ask around here how a diaper fits if you have a certain one in mind that you want to try.

- Don't overfill. When trying a new diaper you have to learn it’s usable capacity. If you are in a private setting where you can afford to leak, push it to it’s limits. Otherwise, change once your bum cheeks start feeling wet.

- Beware of sitting down right after flooding your diaper. It takes a little time to absorb. Some diapers are quicker than others.

- Until you get to know your diaper, beware of wetting in any position other than standing up or squatting (upright).

- Not only does getting the perfect fit feel wonderful, but it helps your diaper perform better to prevent leaks. You’ll find that different brands work better taped differently. Diapering yourself is definitely a skill that you can improve on. Refastenable tape diapers like Tykables and CTDC Bear Hugz are excellent to learn and practice with, while not being cloth backed.

- Not every diaper is the same. Some will perform better than others according to your body type.

Your first time might be a complete disaster, but like most of the good things in this life you gotta put a little effort in. Give it a few tries before you give up on it.

A big part of wearing a diaper is just getting to know it.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

This is all good advice, but another BIG thing is to use diapers you can trust will not leak. Even if you follow all the right ways to put on a diaper, if you use a major store brand you're likely to leak anyways. It will also depend if you intend to empty a full bladder (ie, flooding), or use controlled releases every 10 minutes (ie, slowly leaking).

For anyone starting out, I highly recommend going with more than you think you need at first, and only then consider lesser or thinner brands later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back