Status
Not open for further replies.

Maia

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hello gentlepeople,

I thought I’d write down a couple of things that I figured out over time trying to manage the flooding waterworks. Most is related to plastic pants and cloth diapers.

I’ve always been fully urinary incontinent because of a congenital issue, and have never found anything that beats good old plastic pants and pin-on cloth diapers.
When laundering isn’t an option, I use the largest disposable pads that I can find with tie-on plastic “snibbar” (not sure how to translate that: they’re thin plastic hourglass-shaped sheets that can be tied to fit at the sides. They’re from Sweden, and in France they’re called pointes a nouer - ‘tips to tie’).

Some resources that may not be too widely known

• There is a Swedish webshop that sells these snibbar: https://vuxshopen.nordicshops.com/product.html/snibb 
I got a few packets of those several years ago, and they last amazingly long. I always use two stacked together because I find just one too flimsy, and this way I can have the pleasantly textured sides both outside and inside. The funny thing about these snibbar is that they look very wrinkled-up where you tied the knot: but just put them in a washbasin with hot water and they magically smooth out. I clean them with a drop of shampoo, and they last almost forever. I don’t know what sort of plastic they are made from, pvc or something else - maybe polyethylene?
  • unlike many abdl people (as I’ve understood at least), I dislike smooth shiny plastic. Or, maybe I should say: I have a thing with textured plastic, also known as “taffeta embossed vinyl”. But whatever it’s called: it is increasingly hard to get which is a never-ending source of frustration to me, because they didn’t choose to use textured plastic for baby-plastic pants since the 1950’s for nothing. It prevents the plastic from clinging to the skin where it touches and gives the plastic a bit of a luxurious silk-like look and feel. Way better than that sterile clingfilm-like shininess, which always makes me feel as if I’m a wrapped cabbage. And besides, I find the very specific swishing sound that that textured plastic makes infinitely cute.
As far as I know, the only decent plastic pants made from this textured plastic are sold by baby-pants.com (the pink stars and blue stars pants). It also has cute little stars embossed in it.

There’s also (and I guess this one is much less known) the German web-shop fabimonti.de. I’m not too wild about their plastic diaper pants because the crotch is too narrow and they don’t fit the female body-shape very well. It look as if they are scaled-up man’s underpants. But they’ve been adding more and more fetish-related products lately, including complete overalls and whatnot. Plus, decent prices (some of those places targeting the fetish market are outrageously expensive).
Especially their thin foil is superb and very soft. The texture is much finer than with those from baby-pants, even almost invisible without magnifying glass; but it lends the foil a kind of nice shimmer. I prefer the baby-pants pink-stars foil, but I can’t find that anywhere to buy that by the meter. I sent a mail to them to ask, but they didn’t want to tell. If anyone knows where to buy it, can you please let me know?

In the UK there’s also some places that sell textured plastic pants but those are a waste of money (stiff, hard, yuck! blehh! bah!) - just like the SGA and Hygia ones from the Netherlands where I come from. They used to be great, but these days they’re made from old sandpaper because someone out there decided that incontinent people should be punished for being wet.

Cleaning plastic pants / cloth diapers
  • I suppose everyone knows that you best not throw plastic pants in the regular laundry, and ESPECIALLY avoid fabric softener. Since about a year I found that the German discount shop ohwe.de (Save Express) sells special “pvc wash” - probably also sold elsewhere. It has a bit of a strange, somewhat chemical (though not unpleasant) smell to it (it reminds me of an inflatable toy rubber boat we had when we were kids - a BP petrol station promotional gift) but it doesn’t harden the plastic and it does a good job. 

• I never put plastic pants in the washing machine anyhow, because the violent movements and washing powder quickly ages and hardens the foil. 
The same goes for UV light - never put them in the direct sunlight to dry.

• if you use cloth diapers, you’re probably familiar with the stinky ammonia buildup phenomenon. Washing your diapers hot enough helps, and the better they are rinsed the less likely you’ll be ammonia’d. Flat diapers are easiest in this respect, prefolds and other shaped diapers are harder, and the ones with builtin waterproof layers are dreadful. That is, apart from that they usually aren’t waterproof anyhow, so that layer only helps to make them more difficult to launder and dry. Good riddance.
  • Limescale remover - the stuff that you use to clean your bathroom taps with - neutralises ammonia (a base) because they contain formic acid (or something similar). I found that if I spray some on the wet diaper in the bathtub, the ammonia stink disappears almost immediately.
    I then rinse the diaper in the usual way in the tub as I take my shower.

I don’t know if it also helps preventing the problem. Vinegar should also work (and it is sometimes recommended sometimes to add to diaper pails), but has the advantage of also smelling quite strong. Formic acid is practically odourless.

Repairing plastic pants

• there was a topic about this, but it was closed. So I’ll put it in here. 
Some years back I decided to make my own plastic pants because I wasn’t happy with what was available and I found that German webshop that sells a nice quality of pvc foil. 
You can indeed glue soft pvc foil, with special “soft pvc glue”. It’s sold at DIY shops (Bison glue for soft PVC) e.g. https://www.bison.nl/nl/product.445, or, in shops that sell gardening stuff as “pond foil glue” (people apparently use thick pvc foil to create garden ponds with) eg. https://www.bol.com/nl/p/griffon-zacht-lijm-pvc-m-385-250ml/9200000047294215/. 
Make sure you use it in a well ventilated place though.

• I try and minimise my use of that glue because welded seams are still way better (stronger, more supple and durable). I found an old NATO plastic sealing machine in an army surplus store. It’s a very heavy-duty but clunky machine, presumably used to mothball military equipment in thick foil with (it came with the last maintenance report, signed off by a French sergeant). 
Judging by the loud clacking noise that it produces it has a couple of heavy relay switches inside, and a timer with an old-school buzzer that you can set from 1 to 10 seconds.
it’s a beast of a machine, used to setting its teeth in rough-tough military canvas and I had to temper it’s enthusiasm a bit so that it doesn’t chew right through that delicate plastic panties stuff in a millisecond. The temperature can be set anywhere from 50 to 300 degrees or so, and I found that 140 degrees (centigrade) works well for PVC foil, for about 7 - 10 seconds. The “hot” side of the tongs (that weigh almost a kilogram) is wrapped in baking paper to prevent the bare hot metal melting and tearing the thin plastic foil, and I cover the seams to be welded with masking tape (the same stuff you use when painting). This also serves to keep the plastic in place while I work.
It is possible to fix a tear with that welder: put a small piece of foil over the tear, cover it with masking tape and apply the tongs. If I’m careful and lucky, it is then invisibly fixed. If not, it makes things worse - I suppose it’s a matter of skill and experience.

DIY plastic pants - it’s a ton of work, but the result can be very good. You’ll need some sort of sealer or welding apparatus though (unless you’re happy with leaky sewed seams, of course).
  • You cannot weld aged foil that’s hardened. It doesn’t melt, at least not at the temperatures I tried. The same goes for plastic that’s been welded but has come loose.

• It pays to experiment with welding temperatures and times. A weld that looks great can still be very shallow (with only the contact surfaces melted together) and snap loose unexpectedly. 

• Material costs are negligible compared to the effort it takes. A closed plastic pant will take about 4 hours, and a snap-one one (that I prefer) around 8 - 10 hours. I suppose that with better tools it would be much quicker. But sewing is not an option IMO: it’s not waterproof and the plastic foil tends to start tearing there. 

• I found Prym Color Snaps to work very well for plastic snap pants (and there’s dozens of colours to choose from). I think Kam Snaps are almost the same.

• I like to have the elastics of my plastic pants encased, but this has caused a lot of headaches! Without getting too technical: it’s not possible to fold over a curved edge of plastic foil and weld it so that it creates a nice closed elastics tunnel. That only works only if the edge is straight, as with the waist elastic - but not for the leg elastics, where it is most important. Plastic foil doesn’t stretch like cotton fabric does, so you end up with either too much or too little material. I tried patching things up, but in the end it all leads to way too many ugly half-glued /half-welded seams that invariably leak. so that the tunnels fill with water when you wash or even rinse the pants. So, they need to be cut open for the elastics to be pulled out to dry; and then patch ‘m up again, leading to even more ugly seams. In short: a mess. 

So I tried something else. Though folding a curved edge over won’t work, it is possible to create a curved tunnel for the leg elastics by welding a separate strip of foil of the same shape on to the edge, with the elastic going between two parallel welds. It creates a bit of a ruffled edge but that’s ok. Time will tell if this approach works. 

• you can fix the elastics in the tunnels in a completely water-proof way by taking a piece of (slightly sturdier) foil, wrap that around the end of the elastic a couple of times and attach to the elastic with, for instance, two Prym snaps. Make sure there’s about an inch of foil sticking out. When ready, weld that piece of foil together with the foil of the tunnel so that it’s completely sealed.

• Recycling plastic pants: cut off snap pants if made from metal, and remove elastics. Put the foil in plastic recycling container.

I hope this is of some use to someone!

Iraina

Last edited:
Reactions: tiny
Thanks. Nice information. Any advice on how to use cloth diapers so they are good for side sleepers? I find my disposables do a lousy job when I sleep since I am a side sleeper. I have heard cloth is better. I bought one of those precut with Velcro closures but it doesn't seem to hold much. I am a heavy wetter. Any thoughts?

Great article and informative. I used to wear the PVC plastic pants and yes, washing them out, even by hand was difficult. Eventually I just rinsed them with no sort of soap because the soap hardened the plastic. Recently, I've switched to PUL and those I can put in the washing machine with the machine set to gentle. As for my cloth diapers, recently I've been adding white vinegar and rinse them first in the washing machine. Then I wash them again with Arm & Hammer with Oxy clean and that seems to get rid of the lingering odor.

paddedagain said:
Thanks. Nice information. Any advice on how to use cloth diapers so they are good for side sleepers? I find my disposables do a lousy job when I sleep since I am a side sleeper. I have heard cloth is better. I bought one of those precut with Velcro closures but it doesn't seem to hold much. I am a heavy wetter. Any thoughts?

Sure, I’m a side sleeper as well. I think pin-on flat diapers are the best but you’ll need to figure out how to fold them and put them on. It’s not hard but it can take some trying out. I always need two or three flat diapers to last the night. Advantage is also that they’re cheap.

You can also try prefolds. They’re available in different thicknesses. It will save you the folding but you’ll still need to pin them on or use another way to fasten them.

Hourglass shapes diapers don’t hold as much because they have less bulk between the legs. But they can be ok for daytime use.

I would also have a look in the articles section of the forum, as I think I saw some guides there on how to create cloth diapers.

As I mentioned above, I would avoid all-in-ones with a builtin waterproofing, but use separate plastic pants.
I’ve never seen the point of “breathing” waterproof pants. It seems to me that’s a paradox, because how can anything that lets air through be really waterproof?
Water repellent maybe, as in goretex rain gear; but as a heavy wetter I found that way insufficient.

Here in Europe adult sized cloth diapers are hard to find, but in the US there are a number of places that sell them - from the top of my head: adultclothdiaper.com and baby-pants.com - but there are others.

I hope you’ll find something that works for you!

paddedagain said:

My best advice to you is when you wake up and want to wet your diaper, roll onto your back, wet, and give it a few minutes before rolling back onto your side. That's basically how I do it. Cloth will perform better if you have to wet on your side though, but still has its limits. It helps if you change sides between wettings, to give the other half of the padding a chance to get in the ring.

paddedagain said:

I had the exact same problem. When I switched to cloth I found I needed 5 layers of cloth so I wouldn't leak. While I used to wake up to pee each time, I found it was best to not move and just try to let it go. Turning over would agitate my lungs and start making me cough, which would mean no hope of going back to sleep for me. Plus I would end up disturbing my wife too.

Unfortunately I ended up getting hip pain from all those layers of cloth. I was forced to go back to disposables, and eventually found Betterdry/Crinklz. This (and now PeekABU too) has been the ONLY diaper I've found that usually won't leak on me. Sadly, my last two batches of Crinklz have had a reduced amount of sap and will leak on me half of the time. Adding in a baby diaper booster has solved that problem though, and I'm back to not leaking again.

Thank you for the brain dump.

When I was exploring cloth diapers (exclusively for night), I tried using a wet bag where I would place the wet cloth but, it would take several days before accumulating enough wet diapers for a load of laundry. When laundry day rolled around, the odor was over powering and the washer struggled to get the odor out. I have an HE washer.

What I ended up doing was to place the diaper on the shower floor to let the water rinse it until the hot water started. Next, when soaping up and rinsing, the diaper benefited from the soap runoff, and when done, I would squeeze/wring out the water before placing in a wet bag. This helped a lot in keeping the odors down between wash days.

Incidentally, I plan to give cloth and PUL pants another go for both my daytime and night routine. I do like the feel of and the environmental friendly aspects of using cloth. The problem, like Slomo, I would get hip/back pain if I used too much cloth. Guessing the bulk would not let my legs straighten out.

Maybe, if I trusted my technique more, I could reduce the bulk. So, the question I have is:

Do you or others have advice on what is the best way to arrange/fold cloth? For back vs side sleepers? Do high absorbency inserts like zorb help?

Thanks for the graduate seminar in plastic pants!

daylight said:
Thank you for the brain dump.

When I was exploring cloth diapers (exclusively for night), I tried using a wet bag where I would place the wet cloth but, it would take several days before accumulating enough wet diapers for a load of laundry. When laundry day rolled around, the odor was over powering and the washer struggled to get the odor out. I have an HE washer.

What I ended up doing was to place the diaper on the shower floor to let the water rinse it until the hot water started. Next, when soaping up and rinsing, the diaper benefited from the soap runoff, and when done, I would squeeze/wring out the water before placing in a wet bag. This helped a lot in keeping the odors down between wash days.

Incidentally, I plan to give cloth and PUL pants another go for both my daytime and night routine. I do like the feel of and the environmental friendly aspects of using cloth. The problem, like Slomo, I would get hip/back pain if I used too much cloth. Guessing the bulk would not let my legs straighten out.

Maybe, if I trusted my technique more, I could reduce the bulk. So, the question I have is:

Do you or others have advice on what is the best way to arrange/fold cloth? For back vs side sleepers? Do high absorbency inserts like zorb help?

I should clarify. The pain I got was from all the extra material on my sides, not from in between my legs. This pushed my hips up off the bed too much, and is what caused my pain- on the outside of my hips. (I also have a firm memory foam mattress, so that didn't help).

Iraina said:
Hello gentlepeople,

I thought I’d write down a couple of things that I figured out over time trying to manage the flooding waterworks. Most is related to plastic pants and cloth diapers.

I’ve always been fully urinary incontinent because of a congenital issue, and have never found anything that beats good old plastic pants and pin-on cloth diapers.
When laundering isn’t an option, I use the largest disposable pads that I can find with tie-on plastic “snibbar” (not sure how to translate that: they’re thin plastic hourglass-shaped sheets that can be tied to fit at the sides. They’re from Sweden, and in France they’re called pointes a nouer - ‘tips to tie’).

Some resources that may not be too widely known

• There is a Swedish webshop that sells these snibbar: https://vuxshopen.nordicshops.com/product.html/snibb 
I got a few packets of those several years ago, and they last amazingly long. I always use two stacked together because I find just one too flimsy, and this way I can have the pleasantly textured sides both outside and inside. The funny thing about these snibbar is that they look very wrinkled-up where you tied the knot: but just put them in a washbasin with hot water and they magically smooth out. I clean them with a drop of shampoo, and they last almost forever. I don’t know what sort of plastic they are made from, pvc or something else - maybe polyethylene?
  • unlike many abdl people (as I’ve understood at least), I dislike smooth shiny plastic. Or, maybe I should say: I have a thing with textured plastic, also known as “taffeta embossed vinyl”. But whatever it’s called: it is increasingly hard to get which is a never-ending source of frustration to me, because they didn’t choose to use textured plastic for baby-plastic pants since the 1950’s for nothing. It prevents the plastic from clinging to the skin where it touches and gives the plastic a bit of a luxurious silk-like look and feel. Way better than that sterile clingfilm-like shininess, which always makes me feel as if I’m a wrapped cabbage. And besides, I find the very specific swishing sound that that textured plastic makes infinitely cute.
As far as I know, the only decent plastic pants made from this textured plastic are sold by baby-pants.com (the pink stars and blue stars pants). It also has cute little stars embossed in it.

There’s also (and I guess this one is much less known) the German web-shop fabimonti.de. I’m not too wild about their plastic diaper pants because the crotch is too narrow and they don’t fit the female body-shape very well. It look as if they are scaled-up man’s underpants. But they’ve been adding more and more fetish-related products lately, including complete overalls and whatnot. Plus, decent prices (some of those places targeting the fetish market are outrageously expensive).
Especially their thin foil is superb and very soft. The texture is much finer than with those from baby-pants, even almost invisible without magnifying glass; but it lends the foil a kind of nice shimmer. I prefer the baby-pants pink-stars foil, but I can’t find that anywhere to buy that by the meter. I sent a mail to them to ask, but they didn’t want to tell. If anyone knows where to buy it, can you please let me know?

In the UK there’s also some places that sell textured plastic pants but those are a waste of money (stiff, hard, yuck! blehh! bah!) - just like the SGA and Hygia ones from the Netherlands where I come from. They used to be great, but these days they’re made from old sandpaper because someone out there decided that incontinent people should be punished for being wet.

Cleaning plastic pants / cloth diapers
  • I suppose everyone knows that you best not throw plastic pants in the regular laundry, and ESPECIALLY avoid fabric softener. Since about a year I found that the German discount shop ohwe.de (Save Express) sells special “pvc wash” - probably also sold elsewhere. It has a bit of a strange, somewhat chemical (though not unpleasant) smell to it (it reminds me of an inflatable toy rubber boat we had when we were kids - a BP petrol station promotional gift) but it doesn’t harden the plastic and it does a good job. 

• I never put plastic pants in the washing machine anyhow, because the violent movements and washing powder quickly ages and hardens the foil. 
The same goes for UV light - never put them in the direct sunlight to dry.

• if you use cloth diapers, you’re probably familiar with the stinky ammonia buildup phenomenon. Washing your diapers hot enough helps, and the better they are rinsed the less likely you’ll be ammonia’d. Flat diapers are easiest in this respect, prefolds and other shaped diapers are harder, and the ones with builtin waterproof layers are dreadful. That is, apart from that they usually aren’t waterproof anyhow, so that layer only helps to make them more difficult to launder and dry. Good riddance.
  • Limescale remover - the stuff that you use to clean your bathroom taps with - neutralises ammonia (a base) because they contain formic acid (or something similar). I found that if I spray some on the wet diaper in the bathtub, the ammonia stink disappears almost immediately.
    I then rinse the diaper in the usual way in the tub as I take my shower.

I don’t know if it also helps preventing the problem. Vinegar should also work (and it is sometimes recommended sometimes to add to diaper pails), but has the advantage of also smelling quite strong. Formic acid is practically odourless.

Repairing plastic pants

• there was a topic about this, but it was closed. So I’ll put it in here. 
Some years back I decided to make my own plastic pants because I wasn’t happy with what was available and I found that German webshop that sells a nice quality of pvc foil. 
You can indeed glue soft pvc foil, with special “soft pvc glue”. It’s sold at DIY shops (Bison glue for soft PVC) e.g. https://www.bison.nl/nl/product.445, or, in shops that sell gardening stuff as “pond foil glue” (people apparently use thick pvc foil to create garden ponds with) eg. https://www.bol.com/nl/p/griffon-zacht-lijm-pvc-m-385-250ml/9200000047294215/. 
Make sure you use it in a well ventilated place though.

• I try and minimise my use of that glue because welded seams are still way better (stronger, more supple and durable). I found an old NATO plastic sealing machine in an army surplus store. It’s a very heavy-duty but clunky machine, presumably used to mothball military equipment in thick foil with (it came with the last maintenance report, signed off by a French sergeant). 
Judging by the loud clacking noise that it produces it has a couple of heavy relay switches inside, and a timer with an old-school buzzer that you can set from 1 to 10 seconds.
it’s a beast of a machine, used to setting its teeth in rough-tough military canvas and I had to temper it’s enthusiasm a bit so that it doesn’t chew right through that delicate plastic panties stuff in a millisecond. The temperature can be set anywhere from 50 to 300 degrees or so, and I found that 140 degrees (centigrade) works well for PVC foil, for about 7 - 10 seconds. The “hot” side of the tongs (that weigh almost a kilogram) is wrapped in baking paper to prevent the bare hot metal melting and tearing the thin plastic foil, and I cover the seams to be welded with masking tape (the same stuff you use when painting). This also serves to keep the plastic in place while I work.
It is possible to fix a tear with that welder: put a small piece of foil over the tear, cover it with masking tape and apply the tongs. If I’m careful and lucky, it is then invisibly fixed. If not, it makes things worse - I suppose it’s a matter of skill and experience.

DIY plastic pants - it’s a ton of work, but the result can be very good. You’ll need some sort of sealer or welding apparatus though (unless you’re happy with leaky sewed seams, of course).
  • You cannot weld aged foil that’s hardened. It doesn’t melt, at least not at the temperatures I tried. The same goes for plastic that’s been welded but has come loose.

• It pays to experiment with welding temperatures and times. A weld that looks great can still be very shallow (with only the contact surfaces melted together) and snap loose unexpectedly. 

• Material costs are negligible compared to the effort it takes. A closed plastic pant will take about 4 hours, and a snap-one one (that I prefer) around 8 - 10 hours. I suppose that with better tools it would be much quicker. But sewing is not an option IMO: it’s not waterproof and the plastic foil tends to start tearing there. 

• I found Prym Color Snaps to work very well for plastic snap pants (and there’s dozens of colours to choose from). I think Kam Snaps are almost the same.

• I like to have the elastics of my plastic pants encased, but this has caused a lot of headaches! Without getting too technical: it’s not possible to fold over a curved edge of plastic foil and weld it so that it creates a nice closed elastics tunnel. That only works only if the edge is straight, as with the waist elastic - but not for the leg elastics, where it is most important. Plastic foil doesn’t stretch like cotton fabric does, so you end up with either too much or too little material. I tried patching things up, but in the end it all leads to way too many ugly half-glued /half-welded seams that invariably leak. so that the tunnels fill with water when you wash or even rinse the pants. So, they need to be cut open for the elastics to be pulled out to dry; and then patch ‘m up again, leading to even more ugly seams. In short: a mess. 

So I tried something else. Though folding a curved edge over won’t work, it is possible to create a curved tunnel for the leg elastics by welding a separate strip of foil of the same shape on to the edge, with the elastic going between two parallel welds. It creates a bit of a ruffled edge but that’s ok. Time will tell if this approach works. 

• you can fix the elastics in the tunnels in a completely water-proof way by taking a piece of (slightly sturdier) foil, wrap that around the end of the elastic a couple of times and attach to the elastic with, for instance, two Prym snaps. Make sure there’s about an inch of foil sticking out. When ready, weld that piece of foil together with the foil of the tunnel so that it’s completely sealed.

• Recycling plastic pants: cut off snap pants if made from metal, and remove elastics. Put the foil in plastic recycling container.

I hope this is of some use to someone!

Iraina

I have tried pointes a nouer and did not find them very effective for bedwetting. But now that I know they are called snibbars, how could I could I resist something so charming?

- - - Updated - - -

Same goes for “taffeta embossed vinyl”.

Slomo said:
I should clarify. The pain I got was from all the extra material on my sides, not from in between my legs. This pushed my hips up off the bed too much, and is what caused my pain- on the outside of my hips. (I also have a firm memory foam mattress, so that didn't help).

Yes, exactly. I'm mostly a back sleeper and have/had similar issues though not specifically on my sides; my hips were effected.

Hello Daylight,

I do something similar.
When I take a shower in the morning I put the diapers in the bath tub with some limescale remover and let them rinse while I shower. I wring them out once or twice and afterwards I put them first in the washing machine and set it to spin cycle only. That takes just 5 minutes or so, and afterwards they’re already as good as clean. At least no smell issues. I then put them in a pail and launder them every two or three days.

daylight said:
.The problem, like Slomo, I would get hip/back pain if I used too much cloth. Guessing the bulk would not let my legs straighten out.

I don’t know what “Zorb” is - I do use micro fibre inserts, are they something like that?

Re. the back pain issues: sorry to hear that! I’ve never had that though, but it might depend on the kind of cloth diaper maybe.
I mostly use the regular flat ones, also because prefolds are so hard to find here.

Maybe you could try flat diapers: they have the advantage that you can fold them in many different ways to suit your needs, and every technique puts the bulk slightly different.

Likewise, I’ve been looking for a good “fold for girls” that puts it mostly in the center and at the back and found one, but I didn’t get the hang of it yet because it’s quite complex.

One thing that I found over time is that most plastic pants are cut too low if you want to use cloth. They should really be a LOT bigger, even to halfway the chest (where the bra band sits).

Since I’ve settled that I hardly ever have any leaks.

INCONTGUY said:
I have tried pointes a nouer and did not find them very effective for bedwetting. But now that I know they are called snibbars, how could I could I resist something so charming?

Actually, to Dutch ears that word doesn’t sound very charming, because it resembles “snibbig”, which means “snappishly” or “shrill”. 🧐

Anyhow, I suppose it also depends on the size how effective they are. I only use them during the day.

Iraina said:
Hello Daylight,

I do something similar.
When I take a shower in the morning I put the diapers in the bath tub with some limescale remover and let them rinse while I shower. I wring them out once or twice and afterwards I put them first in the washing machine and set it to spin cycle only. That takes just 5 minutes or so, and afterwards they’re already as good as clean. At least no smell issues. I then put them in a pail and launder them every two or three days.

I don’t know what “Zorb” is - I do use micro fibre inserts, are they something like that?

Re. the back pain issues: sorry to hear that! I’ve never had that though, but it might depend on the kind of cloth diaper maybe.
I mostly use the regular flat ones, also because prefolds are so hard to find here.

Maybe you could try flat diapers: they have the advantage that you can fold them in many different ways to suit your needs, and every technique puts the bulk slightly different.

Likewise, I’ve been looking for a good “fold for girls” that puts it mostly in the center and at the back and found one, but I didn’t get the hang of it yet because it’s quite complex.

One thing that I found over time is that most plastic pants are cut too low if you want to use cloth. They should really be a LOT bigger, even to halfway the chest (where the bra band sits).

Since I’ve settled that I hardly ever have any leaks.

Thank you for replying.

The PUL pants I've found do not extend above the waist. I'll look around to see what I can find. Maybe going up a size or two would facilitate higher coverage.

I've also tried various origami-like folds for cloth, and was looking for opinions on approaches.

Zorb ref: https://allaboutclothdiapers.com/what-is-zorb-do-you-know/

I tried getting a countoured cloth diaper made with zorb once. It was through Jessica on etsy. What she made for me was not even close to what I ordered, and it was so bad I couldn't even use it. It cost me $50 for the one diaper too!

What's worse is that etsy wouldn't refund my money even though it was clearly a manufacturing defect. Sadly I never did get to try zorb, and without any consumer protections I will NOT make another order from ets ever again. Buyer beware!

Hi Daylight,

daylight said:
The PUL pants I've found do not extend above the waist. I'll look around to see what I can find. Maybe going up a size or two would facilitate higher coverage.

I suppose so. I found plenty of “high back” pvc pants. The range for PUL is smaller it seems but I’m not sure, I never search for them because they don’t seem to be fully waterproof like pvc - at least the PUL waterproofing layer on an all-in-one cotton diaper that I was a test user for wasn’t. I suppose that comes with the “breathing”.

daylight said:
I've also tried various origami-like folds for cloth, and was looking for opinions on approaches.

Well, my experience is that it’s not that easy when you first start. My first attempt looked like a random mushed up bundle and dropped off my waist after a few minutes.

But practices makes perfect, here as well. Look for the right fold for you, there are generic ones, and lots are especially for boys (with enough layers in the front). There are way less folds specifically for girls (alas for me), with enough layers in the centre. But I found one: the “Gaynor fold for girls”:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cROuJ7yVRcc
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tieas3KkO9Q

It took some time to get it right, but now I’ve got the hang of it, it works like a charm.

I would just like the larger size pins, but I can’t find them in Europe. Regular baby size diaper pins work as well, but it would make things a bit easier.

daylight said:

Thanks!
That’s completely new to me. It looks interesting!

In that respect you guys in the US are better of than us Yurpeans [emoji4] - there are tons of adult size cloth options everywhere.

I tried ordering a few items from an American site last week, but the shipping costs freaked me out! [emoji32]

It used to be about a third of the item price, but it has doubled now. And on top of that, the customs have become really nitpicky as well, loading up another 20% in import dues - last time I tried that was on a super [emoji7]sweet [emoji178] dress [emoji156]that I found in a Seattle based shop last spring.

I hope that ordering via Amazon.co.uk or EBay has better shipping prices, or otherwise I can’t afford that any longer. I’m not going to pay twice the price ... [emoji31]

Last edited:
Thanks again. I looked through other folding techniques inspired by the links and I'm going to give cloth another go. Seems most of the creative folding is using flats not pre-folds. I'll have to order or make some flats to try as pre-folds is the only ones I have on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back