Is it okay to feel awkward wearing 24/7 after being diagnosed incontinent?

Fireband

The musical wounder of ADISC!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
  4. Carer
  5. Other
Hello,
I know i am a diaper lover but it still feels awkward wearing 24/7. Today was my first day, and sure it was easier then the toilet paper in my underwear strategy, but it still feels weird. I have to buy my own diapers though because my parents think it's just a phase (my incontinence). I've been wearing tight underwear over my diaper to hide it and it removes some of the noise. I feel so weird. Is this normal?

Hey Leio i'm in the same boat. my accidents are sporadic

Wearing diapers at first to manage your incontinence issues can be a bit nerve racking, but it does get easier over time When I first started to wear 24/7 I was allways self conscious about how thick the diapers were and that some one my notice but after a while you get use to the extra padding and stop worrying about having to wear.

its completely normal to feel awkward when you are back in diapers as an adult, once you find a diaper thst you can trust and have gotten use to wearing and changing in public wearing diapers 24/7 becomes a no issue

I believe most anyone is going to struggle with needing diapers. Maybe even double so for anyone who is AB or DL. So yeah, totally normal for you. I was the same way. When I became incontinent I absolutely loved having that perfect excuse. Except I hated myself for loving diapers because that's how society said I should feel. Also because I truly needed them, and that "wasn't something I should like". Once you are able to completely realize that wearing adult diapers (regardless of the reason) is neither illegal nor immoral, AND that it helps us to feel better, then that misplaced weirdness/embarrassment/hatred we feel will start to go away.

Diapers are going to feel weird at first when you adapt to it being the norm, but that feeling goes away most of the time after awhile. Believe it or not the dl aspect can make using a diaper effectively more difficult in some cases.

Wearing diapers for a medical need will feel awkward at first. It’s a big change (no pun intended), and at first you’ll be very self-conscious of the diaper, whether it crinkles, sticks out above your waistline. If you were a DL beforehand you may have conflicting feelings about your diapers.

But, be patient, take your time. Allow yourself to get used to the feeling of the diaper on your body. It takes effort and practice but if they help you stay dry and protected, that’s definitely a good thing. Changing a diaper is far easier than wet pants - and much less embarrassing.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

I guess it took me about 4 or 5 months to be completely confident wearing nappies 24/7. Now 6 years later it is just completely normal

Oh man, I had SEVERELY conflicting feelings when I became IC as a DL. I would tell myself it's all in my head, that I was just making things up in order to wear diapers, so I wouldn't wear them. Then I'd wet my pants, get mad at myself, go back to wearing diapers, and again think it was all in my head, despite the doctors actually finding problems. I'd say it was at least 6 months before I started to feel more normal about it, and longer still to be *completely* at peace with it.

Sadly it took me 10 years to fully accept my need for diapers. I've been a dl all my life, and had always wanted that perfect excuse to wear them. Then at age 18 I became urge incontinent. Somehow I though my compulsory love for them made my physical need for them kind of a fake excuse. It took me that long to quit listening to how society says we should be ashamed of diapers. Once I realized I truly needed and truly wanted them at the same time, and that they hurt no-one but help me, then I was able to get past those misplaced feelings.

Absolutely. I resisted wearing nappies for ages after I actually needed them because I couldn't work out whether I was making excuses to wear them or whether I actually needed them, and hated wearing them when I needed it. I got my head around it about 10 years later.

In my last post I said it took 6 months for it to "feel more normal", but I don't mean to lead people on that the journey will be that short. Whereas I feel MUCH better about having to wear diapers, I'm still slowly adapting to it 3 years later. Occasionally I feel shame when changing in a public restroom (if people I know could be there, like at my office), I still haven't told anyone (but really, why do people need to know about my underwear?), and other bits here and there... but it's so much better than it was. It does get better, it just takes time!

Won't say I feel shame because I need to wear diapers. More embarrassed that I need to be in diapers at my age.

About changing at my office restrooms, this is something I go a long distance to avoid which means I need to wear thicker and more absorbent diapers. But I prefer that simply because I don't know when I need to change if I'm in thinner less absorbent diapers, and definitely not if I have an opportunity to change when needed.
Therefore I went with thicker diapers, simply out of need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After wearing diapers for 16 years, it's just underwear. I'm thankful my pants are dry.

I just forget about it after a while. You just wake up to reality when a leak or something unexpected happens. Then you hope that nobody else has noticed. After that I just take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again and continue whatever I was doing.

I still struggle to wrap my mind around the fact of having to wear something all the time. For instance, changing in a public restroom stall is very hard to do. Removing a diaper (tape) is 100x louder when someone is in the next stall!

Like others have said, be flexible in your expectations and what you choose to wear. And [emphasis] talk with your doctor and consider your options; try different approaches (Rx, PT, ...). Diapers cost and require a lot of preparation/time (planning, packing, clean up, laundry, etc.). Over time, it does get easier (more routine I think).

Remember...'Some things in life are bad. They really make you mad...Always look on the bright side of life' - thanks Eric Idle

Hey!

I understand your situation.

You can try some stuffs:

-There are some meds against incontinence. I took Toviaz 4mg
-Maybe wearing Pants could be less embarrassing for you?
-For long I felt ashamed to wearing Pants but I recently find the good one for me and I feel confortable in it and not shameful about wearing that anymore ;)

I was struggling with that as well now its only family i try to hide this from the way i see it is that after i thought abought it i enjoy being a baby and im proud of it strangers don't know me and i don't know them so why do i care. I ware proud and i may even start taking my nuck with me when i get some baby cloths

Wearing diapers did make me feel awkward initially, but I knew that wearing more often would lessen the "awkwardness" of wearing a diaper, especially in public. When wearing I would feel that people would notice the "diaper bump". The leaks continued to become more frequent, often with embarrassing results, especially when I tried to "hold it". At that time I tried OTC bladder leak pads and underwear to avoid having to wear diapers all the time, and I did have some successes but also failures , at times I considered wearing plastic pants over these but realized that wearing diapers would be needed. I have had times of trying to give up diapers but the leaks and bedwetting returned. I have been wearing diapers 24/7 now for over 6 months and have now lost all "awkwardness" and now are a regular part of my life.

Reactions: AutisticExtrovert
Back