Is it okay to feel awkward wearing 24/7 after being diagnosed incontinent?

leio not sure where you are as the web is all over the world but if in USA and can get with northshore give their superme a shot they have them in the pull up also i swear by them and the nice thing is they are delivered to your home

I started with pull ups but as my incontinene worsened I switched to slips which are basically nappies. I tend to wear tena slip maxis most of the time now.

This bears repeating: A thin diaper or pullup that has leaked is WAY more noticable than a thick one that has done its job.

Anyone who is concerned about being found out they wear diapers needs to stay away from pullups or that's exactly what is going to happen. Also know that people around us really and truly do not notice a diaper bulge. It's only when you make it completely obvious that they notice (like with tight or wet pants).

Slomo, I know you have strong convictions/feelings on what works, and what works for you. I just want to point out that people fall on the spectrum of incontinence and choices also fall on a spectrum.

Getting back to the OP - emotional support and confidence is tough with IC. Time does help and people tend to try methods until they find what works physically and emotionally.

Incorporating (owning) incontinence and living life should be one of your goals. There are not re-dos in life. We are here to help.

It is time that is your biggest ally. It just gets easier as time goes by. After 7 years wearing a nappy is just a normal daily occurrence.

daylight said:
Slomo, I know you have strong convictions/feelings on what works, and what works for you. I just want to point out that people fall on the spectrum of incontinence and choices also fall on a spectrum.

Getting back to the OP - emotional support and confidence is tough with IC. Time does help and people tend to try methods until they find what works physically and emotionally.

Incorporating (owning) incontinence and living life should be one of your goals. There are not re-dos in life. We are here to help.

I wasn't implying otherwise, and my comment was directly relavent towards Firebrand feeling awkward and wanting to hide/conceal his diapers. If someone isn't worried about being found out, and/or only has mild leakage or stress incontinence, then they can most likely get away with only needing a pullup. To iterate, what I am saying is people need to use whatever level of protection they know they need. Don't go with something thinner or less absorbent than needed, or the lilelyhood of being found out will be greatly increased because of those leaks.

When you start wearing your diaper 24/7, you are going to be nervous. 1. Does the diaper show front or back? 2. Do your plastic pants crinkle too loud? (They don't really.) 3. Should you wear a thin day time diaper to hide it more. That was me when I went 24/7. A few years later, I've gotten rid of the thin day diapers and wear my thick night time diaper 24/7. I also wear a thick 7 mil plastic pants. Nobody seems to notice or care. For my convenience I wear a snap on style pant during the day for easier emergency changing and a pull up plastic pant at night. As time goes on putting on your diaper will be like putting on your shoes. You won't think twice about it.

I still feel awkward after a few years. Part of why I don’t wear 24/7 is the fear of others mistreating me, and also an internal struggle. When I look at it logically, sure diapers are needed to help manage my Urge incontinence. Without diapers, I am often forced to endure pain in an effort to make it to a bathroom. Since part of my job includes assisting people, I occasionally have to excuse myself while not drawing attention to my issue.

These days I wear them on occasion when out of the house. If I know I will have easy access to a bathroom. I wear them pretty much every night to avoid losing sleep to running to the bathroom.

If I was able to get over my awkwardness towards diapers, they would help me live a more manageable life.

I feel guilty because I was a DL. Didn't get to enjoy diapers very much. Moved out on my own and now I can wear when I want to. After people realizing that diapers help me. I am now encouraged to wear and do wear most of the time now. I do have cerebral palsy which makes it a little harder for me to walk so diapers do make my life easier. I still have a hard time dealing with the fact that I have become dependent on diapers and think that it is completely a head game but I can't turn it off. My loved ones support me but I get the needing to be at peace with it. It has become part of my medical record due to my disability but still not a good thing for me to find peace with right now.

Last edited:
Wearing a diaper for extended periods can make you feel awkward initially. I have been wearing diapers 24/7 for over 8 months I started to wear commercially available adult disposable diapers but could not then or now deal with the placement of tapes. I found that cloth diapers and plastic pants were much easier for me. Now diapers are my regular underwear and honestly, I feel awkward if i'm not wearing a diaper.

Wearing diapers can be even after 6 years of incontinence awkward and disturbing to me. I sometimes wish to have just a day off from having to wear them, but there's no chance. I recently tried to spend a weekend in pull-ups with the intention to use the bathroom as often as possible and the goal to stay dry. After half a day I wet my pants and gave up; that was quite frustrating. Most of the times it's o.k. though, I've gotten used to wearing them and don't se a big difference to regular underwear.

I am used to wearing. It takes awhile. I used to think that everyone was looking at my bulge in the back of my pants. It took me awhile to figure out that 99% of people are not paying any attention to what I am wearing. I sometimes even carry my Diaper bag with me, and people still don't notice or care. Finally I had to give in to wearing 24/7. Years later, I feel just the opposite. If I am not wearing, I feel uncomfortable.

Back