Issues with pull up type Continence nurse unsure what to suggest

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcat

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hi All

Saw my continence nurse today apparently the reason I have all the slipping and skin irritation issues as well as occasionally leakage around the legs is because the product I am wearing is too large (Large) and the Medium is too tight and she stated I seem to be in between sizes.

My waist is 112cm and my continence nurse is unsure what to try next. She wants me to try Bonds incontinence trunks 105 -110cm. Which I am unsure as they only hold 400mls and my leakage varies on amout etc as well as a very heavy sweater in that area.

Thank you

You didn't mention what you're using now, or if you're experience anything more than occasional leakage. But I'm guessing it's a pullup. And those incontinence trunks are going to be even less absorbent than a pullup. You will likely be in worse shape with them if this is the case.

I'd suggest you try a different brand of pullup, or if you're leaking enough maybe even a cloth like disposable diaper. Manufacturers all make their pullups a d diapers differently too, so one can be too big while another of the same size will fit just right. If you're really wanting to stick with whatever type you're using now then just ask to try a different brand, but keep in mind if what you're using now isn't working then going down in absorbency and capabilities is the wrong direction to take.

The nurse is only there to advise, wearing a product that is too big is no good (as I found out this morning...) first off it makes for some horrible chaffing as well as leaking and sagging etc. Maybe try a different brand, also it depends on how much you leak. I tried pull ups for running and I would either soak through or have a BM and they would be useless, maybe try a all in one pad. If you don’t want to go down the nappy/diaper route I would suggest asking for the removable type pads and get some of the mesh type underwear, as this can adjust to your size. Hope this helps a little

Hi Tomcat,

did you ever thing about a catheter? I think there are other drawbacks - but if skin irritation is a major problem, than that might help - at last util your skin had recovered. More over I would hardly think over if the counseling of your continence nurse is the best if she's not able to find fitting diapers...

pullups in my experience are very hard to get a good fit and you need to have the right figure or else you'll either have them too tight and ripping/cutting off circulation/leaking with floods or will be too big and leak. They just aren't a lot of help if you have more then occasional gushes

Cyclist said:
The nurse is only there to advise, wearing a product that is too big is no good (as I found out this morning...) first off it makes for some horrible chaffing as well as leaking and sagging etc. Maybe try a different brand, also it depends on how much you leak. I tried pull ups for running and I would either soak through or have a BM and they would be useless, maybe try a all in one pad. If you don’t want to go down the nappy/diaper route I would suggest asking for the removable type pads and get some of the mesh type underwear, as this can adjust to your size. Hope this helps a little

I am considering trying out nappy/diaper route as I originally tried the guards type with buttons well that ended up a "wet failure".

mickdl said:
Hi Tomcat,

did you ever thing about a catheter? I think there are other drawbacks - but if skin irritation is a major problem, than that might help - at last util your skin had recovered. More over I would hardly think over if the counseling of your continence nurse is the best if she's not able to find fitting diapers...

I have considered catheters as I heavily sweat in that area as well so would need absorbance as well apparently my skin is "fine" as I had an unexpected skin check (first time I ever had one) and thankfully didn't get over excited with the nurse as currently using Tena Barrier wipes (as cant handle the feel of cream with my fingers).

i would try a med tab diaper you can adjust them better

I would suggest a tabbed diaper too. Even if you're between sizes, you can adjust the tapes to get a better fit. Also you'll be able to get a better-absorbency product, if that's what you need.

Hi,

I'm in between sizes as well, there's only one pullup style that does fit (always discreet), which is fine around the house but for work and at night it is not sufficient. I've stepped over the embarrassment and am trying different brands of tabbed and belted diapers. For me the thinnest cloth-like versions seem to be sufficient and they don't show more under clothes than the pullups do, because they fit better. So maybe just try some samples and see what works for you.

Have a good day!

Have you tried different brands? I find that Molicare and Attends just don't fit me very well, whilst Tena and Formacare work really well.

Taped diapers like Betterdry or Dry 24/7 are the best way to go for managing incontinece issues you get a way better fit and you can trust them to do thier job. pullups have thier uses but its for small leaks not full floods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back