Is Xbox gonna get a competitive list of exclusives again in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Warning, strong opinions below, you have been warned.

Kinda odd how their glory days for having a competitive library of exclusives was back on the Xbox 360, and slowly most of their previous exclusives moved to PS4 as well.

Now I know to some people exclusives aren't everything, but I think it counts for a lot.

I mean the systems themselves all run almost equal to each other (PS4 has a slight advantage in 1 area, Xbox 1 has a slight advantage in one area AFAIK; not to mention the One X is not a home run compared to the PS4 Pro), the Interface/Menus of the online stores and all the settings are not all that hard on PS4 (and I'm sure I could easily learn the Xbone Layout), the controllers aren't game-changing for either (Xbone looks very similar to Xbox 360, as does the PS4 to the PS3, but bigger and seems better proportioned).

So really being realistic that leaves one huge difference, exclusive game library, I know I seem to be a rare breed in this regard; but if I can play 10 good exclusives vs 3 equally as good exclusives I would rather have the 10 and not miss out on much.

I would gladly get an Xbone some day, but feel no rush when their exclusives have crumbled down to little more than Halo (dont care), Forza (also dont care), and Gears Of War, which I like and I got the chance to beat Gears 4 when I was on Vacation; so I feel no burning desire to rush to get an Xbone.

How is it PS4 keeps exclusives for the most part (most obvious exceptions being Crash, and soon Spyro) and Xbox exclusives go Multi-Plat?

TL;DR: You're upset that you don't have a good reason to go and buy another expensive console.

Uhhhhh.... :) Maybe you should be glad! There are lots of other ways to burn half a $K, and they're all probably better than buying an Xbox One--if, as it sounds, you've already got a PS4 and access to a large library of games that you like.

I think I'm missing something.

"Exclusive" isn't a franchise or even a genre, right? It might be an interesting indicator of a console's health and longevity, or of what's going on behind the scenes, but if Microsoft was to suddenly announce that all upcoming NFL/Football titles were Xbox exclusives, I don't think I could give a rip less. They might as well announce zero new exclusive titles.

BabyTyrant said:
How is it PS4 keeps exclusives for the most part (most obvious exceptions being Crash, and soon Spyro) and Xbox exclusives go Multi-Plat?

Because hardly anyone cares about PS4 exclusives, but everyone wants to play the games that were once "exclusive" to Xbox? Microsoft is bucking the elitist trend and is making their games available to everyone? I don't really know, nor do I care. But my guess is that you are now going to respond with the same repetitive drivel about "PS4 greatness" and how you are still "so confused as to why anyone would play anything else". This song and dance of yours grows very tiresome and exceptionally repetitious. I suggest moving on, find something else to be annoyed by. Your own personal opinions for games and platforms that YOU like has been well documented.

I'm just saying if everything else is nearly the same, and the only big difference is exclusives, obviously you go for the system with more games you want to play.

I know the biggest reason a lot of people go Xbox is because 1 person goes Xbox, then all their friends and family are forced to go Xbox as well to play with their Friends/Family, so 1 console sold could easily become 6.

BabyTyrant said:
I know the biggest reason a lot of people go Xbox is because 1 person goes Xbox, then all their friends and family are forced to go Xbox as well to play with their Friends/Family, so 1 console sold could easily become 6.
Uh... That's pretty much the state of affairs on the PS4, too--by executive decision:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...console-play-to-provide-best-user-experience/

I don't own an Xbox, by the way. Never have. I just find your arguments curious. In the first post, you're complaining about a lack of the sort of titles that would lock you into Xbox, and in your second post, you're complaining about how Microsoft locks you into Xbox for multiplayer online titles, which is just the industry norm--and not even a valid point if the implication is that Sony doesn't do that, because that's simply false.

But even if it wasn't false, you'd be giving people far less credit than they deserve for their own decisions. Marketing strategies don't make you buy stuff. If there's a game you want to play, and you can only do it (and have fun) if you buy System A, then you weigh that among the merits of the available systems and you make a decision about which to purchase.

As an aside: If you're an old Sega console fan, the notion of exclusive titles probably brings some bitterness. Back in the 80's, Nintendo's standard license agreement for third-party developers prevented them from releasing their titles on other platforms. I think most would agree that was not in the best interest of the consumer. Although, in those days, a multiplatform game engine really couldn't work, so it's possible to also argue that making titles exclusive in that way forced developers to concentrate their energies on one platform and its unique set of capabilities, improving the quality of the result.

That's no longer really an argument, though, as game development nowadays is considerably higher-level than in the past, and multiplatform game engines are mature.

Last edited:
I'm not saying either makes you do anything, rather there would be way less Xboxs sold if not for some1 in a group of family or friends buying an Xbox in the 1st place.

Xbox literally has nothing great about it, considering they don't have some amazing game library (you get Multi-Plat games and a few exclusives), they don't run better than other systems, it is not as if the interface or controllers are unusable on other systems.

But Xbox fanboys have to convince themselves Xbox is amazing when it isn't, so they can feel good about having an Xbox and dont feel regret on all they are missing out on (even if someone doesn't like anything on PS4 now, there is a way higher chance something would come out on it later that they would like on PS4 since they have variety and number of exclusives games over Xbox).

I mean sheer number of new studios and titles coming out with exclusive games goes to every1 except Xbox, even PC catches most things Xbox doesn't and better performing PCs are getting cheaper and cheaper than ever before too.

BabyTyrant said:
I'm not saying either makes you do anything, rather there would be way less Xboxs sold if not for some1 in a group of family or friends buying an Xbox in the 1st place.
I hear you. I'm just not sure you're making sense. Cross-platform gaming isn't really a thing for either console. So if head-to-head play or competition for standings requires that friends and family have the same console(s), then both consoles have benefited. It's not an Xbox thing, right? By definition, you can't distinguish two things based on common traits. :)

As for exclusive titles, I again am unsure why a shortage of Xbox exclusives is a bad thing for gamers. How does the owner of a particular system benefit from an exclusive versus a title released on both? Again, if your goal is to sell systems, then exclusives may be an interesting marketing strategy. If your goal is simply to play games, why would you care? In fact, if you already own a system, you should be afraid of exclusives. Exclusives definitely don't benefit consumers, IMO. At best, when one comes out, you get to heave a sigh of relief. At worst, you have to decide whether to spend hundreds of dollars to buy the console you don't already have. Exclusives are just leverage to get money out of you. And that leverage is extremely expensive, too, so it's not always clear that it benefits the console companies.

And again, no fanboyism in play on my end. I've never owned any kind of Xbox. I'm just hearing unintuitive and unsupported claims, and I have a hard time ignoring that kind of thing.

I just find it refreshing seeing what each Companys studios can come up with and seeing which end up being the better game of its type, which doesn't really happen these days because Xbox game studios usually end up going multiplat later in the series.

Competition is good and makes different companies strive to do better and beat out their competitors, this is a thing that definitely is good fo

It doesn't really matter to me as I've collected every gaming system I could over the years. To me, exclusive just means turning on the right system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back