Chafing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minih

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I've started to use resuables, and went for a 4 mile walk today, during which I got some horrible chafing round the legs from the Ecoables pocket diaper I was wearing. My questions are:

1. It's fairly new - will it soften up and stop chafing?
  2. What can I do to stop it? Going behind a tree, pulling my jeans down and moving the leg elastic around helped a bit, but I can't exaclty do that in the middle of the street.
  3. I've never had a problem with chafing with any disposables - is this a more common issue with reusables?

Thanks!

I'm incontinent. My sister, who isn't incontinent but does run, doesn't know. One day I said something to her about chafing between my thighs, and she suggested something called BodyGlide which runners use. I got some on Amazon and have had many fewer issues with chafing since then.

I've heard compression shorts could help, or just a onesie that would keep the diaper closer to your body.

CodyBaby said:
I've heard compression shorts could help, or just a onesie that would keep the diaper closer to your body.

I've found that most "onesies" made for adults are horrible culprits of chaffing. The issue I've found with all of them is that the snaps are too far down, so the outer ones are in the perfect position to rub against the tender inner skin of your leg/thigh. That constant motion against a metal snap can lead to broken skin or something that looks a bit like "road rash". I would highly suggest staying AWAY from onesies if your are walking quite a bit. I would at the very least check to make sure that the snaps will not chaff against the inner leg.

I really wish onesie manufacturers would move their snaps another two inches up the front, or even all the way to the back. It is a terrible design having them in the middle (or near to the middle) of the crotch. They're fine when just lounging around, but any sort of sustained walking usually ends in pain for me.

Reactions: iPad
I've never been in the military, but I've heard several people mention that vaseline is very popular in basic training to prevent chaffing on all the runs they do.

Be careful though, it's a petroleum product, and as such will break down certain things. Cloth diapers may be more difficult to wash if they've got a lot of vaseline on them, and it may break down the elastics and adhesives in a disposable.

If you try it, let us know how it works out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back