Urine sanitation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Urine is not sterile, even before it comes out of you... Bacteria are present at low levels in the urine of healthy people not suffering from a urinary tract infection...

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/gory-details/urine-not-sterile-and-neither-rest-you

qwertyqwerty said:
If I wore a diaper 2 days ago can I wear it again if urine was inside? As in wear the same one again 2 days later

Can you? Yes.

Should you? No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and NO!

It's very unhygienic, puts you in contact with harmful levels of bacteria, will stink, and feel nasty. If you want to see what it's like, just fill a diaper with cold tap water, leave it for 15 minutes for the moisture to spread, then wear that.

Even wearing an unused diaper multiple times isn't ideal. They'll absorb sweat and skin bacteria if nothing else.

willnotwill said:
I did my research and despite how many times you say that, it is NOT true. This is a widely held misbelief. It dates back to the late 1800's when Joseph Lister was doing all his pioneering working in infections. People poopoo'd early research to show otherwise arguing that even with catheter collection, the bacteria present were externally introduced. This has been pretty much repudiated over the last decade. There's no part of the human body that is not teeming with bacteria.

You might want to review your research then to see if it has been updated. I'm having difficulty finding anything recent that agrees with those statements.

Wikipedia on sepsis and bacteremia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteremia
Bacteremia (also bacteraemia) is the presence of bacteria in the blood. Blood is normally a sterile environment,[1] so the detection of bacteria in the blood (most commonly accomplished by blood cultures[2]) is always abnormal. It is distinct from sepsis, which is the host response to the bacteria.[3]

You might have misread statements similar to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infection
An interesting fact that gas chromatography–mass spectrometry, 16S ribosomal RNA analysis, omics, and other advanced technologies have made more apparent to humans in recent decades is that microbial colonization is very common even in environments that humans think of as being nearly sterile.

where they are describing environments outside the body.

I don't recall reading any description of "normal or expected bacterial colonization" anywhere internally in the human body, except of course the lower digestive system as well as very low depth flora such as inside the mouth or surface layers of the skin. (such as hair follicles or sweat glands, causing pimples) If you have a link, please share.

willnotwill said:
I did my research and despite how many times you say that, it is NOT true. This is a widely held misbelief. It dates back to the late 1800's when Joseph Lister was doing all his pioneering working in infections. People poopoo'd early research to show otherwise arguing that even with catheter collection, the bacteria present were externally introduced. This has been pretty much repudiated over the last decade. There's no part of the human body that is not teeming with bacteria.

You're still getting this confused. I never said the pee in a persons bladder will always be free of any bacteria. The urine itself coming from the kidneys absolutely IS free of bacteria. This is a well established medical fact that the kidneys do not filter live bacteria from your blood. By all means, go look it up for yourself.

When urine gets dumped into the bladder it will still be free of bacteria- unless- that person has had a bladder infection. And as we age the likely this will have occured. One positive from the 1800's does not automatically mean everyone is that way, only that it can happen.

That isn't to say evertone will eventually have bacteria in their bladders though either. Naturally and normally we will not- but only as a starting point. So when someone says there normally is not any bacteria in urine, that person is correct. If however someone says there is never any bacteria in the bladder, then that person is incorrect. See the difference?

Do not do this. You're going to get an infection, a bad rash, and it's oh so ever yuck.

Right, back on track and as I previously mentioned. It simply does not matter if there is bacteria in your pee or not. As soon as it's exposed to the natural bacteria in the air, the warm wet environment of a used diaper will start breeding bacteria anyways. If you put it back on later (especially two days later), then you will be directly exposing yourself to a very potential infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back