Is it possible to lose bladder control if you wear diapers for too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayden123

Monkey the Diaper Boy
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Not that I'm going to do it myself, mind you. I'm just curious.

no but you may develop urge incon You can still hold it but it will be more difficult and find yourself peeing alot more frequently which if you are in a profession you cannot always be near a toilet for you may just end up needing the nappie. :laugh:

Ive been a dl for as long as I can remember, when I bought by house 10 years ago I up'd my diaper wearing by a ton, I've been wearing a diaper almost every night for 4 years now, I wear almost every day after work, and go 24/7 on the weekends and have not had any issues when not wearing one.

I think for it to have a chance, the way you wear is going to be far more important than how long. I have been 24/7 for as long as 15 months and experienced no loss in control. Why should there be any loss when I use them the same as the toilet? If instead, you relax all the time and dribble, I imagine there could be some reduction in capacity over time.

I don't think it's possible if your bladder is normal.

Source: I have been wearing 24/7 for 6 years and no loss of bladder or bowel control.

Reactions: agrowingpair
If you wear 24x7 for a couple of weeks and allow yourself to just relax instead of trying to hold it, you'll start to notice it's harder to hold it and you'll be peeing more often if you try. This is due to the muscle tone starting to fade, as well as your brain not remembering to hold it due to being used to releasing it. You won't ever go fully incontinent, but after that length of time trying to get back to normal will be a week or two of unpleasantness.

The mere act of wearing diapers has no effect on your continence.

OmiOMy said:
The mere act of wearing diapers has no effect on your continence.

The act, no, but training yourself to stay relaxed and release without really thinking about it will cause you to eventually lose some control. If you just don't bother to control it, you will eventually lose some measure of it.

I would think the answer is “certainly not”
However, I myself have worn diapers for a couple decades now and just over the past few months I’ve been having daytime issues with peeing too often and too urgently - and all of this without any obvious medical explanation from my doctor so far. I’ve wondered in light of this, if my DL ness might have anything to do with it. Have I somehow trained my bladder to be comfortable holding less and less over time? Normally I would suspect not, but because of current circumstances, I wouldn’t be surprised.

NovaDL said:
If you wear 24x7 for a couple of weeks and allow yourself to just relax instead of trying to hold it, you'll start to notice it's harder to hold it and you'll be peeing more often if you try. This is due to the muscle tone starting to fade, as well as your brain not remembering to hold it due to being used to releasing it. You won't ever go fully incontinent, but after that length of time trying to get back to normal will be a week or two of unpleasantness.
Exactly my thoughts on it.

Jayden123 said:
Not that I'm going to do it myself, mind you. I'm just curious.

Like the others have said, no. You will not become incontinent from just wearing a diaper- no matter the length. However, wearing and keeping your sphincter constantly relaxed will lead to functional urinary incontinence. Also, always peeing when you get the first urge to go can lead to urge incontinemce.

Reactions: TXbabe8
I was wetting the bed growing up without any diapers so the reverse is definitely not true! ha

When I told my continence nurse I was giving up the fight with my bladder and going to wear nappies all the time she said it was up to me but what remaining control I had would soon be lost. She was right within 6 months I was and still am totally dependant on nappies.

that's what happened to me. I used to be able to hold it for about an hour, so essentially trapped in my home to be near a toilet or diaper change. Now I wear 24/7

I think it all depends on your situation and how you go about it. I personally don’t wear 24/7, or at least I don’t yet. I have noticed that over time, it’s gotten easier for me to go in a diaper, but I can’t say I have any control issues.

Now I realize I’m not the best person to answer this, but through the right methods of muscle memory training and whatnot, you can lose control, but it takes time.

There are also methods and programs out there on how to retrain yourself to be diaper dependent, but they take quite a bit of time until success occurs.

Last edited:
After five years 24/7, no....

As everyone has said, things will change a bit, your bladder might shrink a bit, you might not give as much thought to it, it might be easier to wet, etc., but you'll always retain control, unless something gets damaged Those that indicate otherwise are probably just wishful thinking, because that's just how we are, as diaper wearers. Of course, we all sort of wish it (except for true incons), but, in reality, it's probably better to have things working, down there, yet still have the fun of wearing & wetting yourself, when desired.

I know I commented on this, but it never showed up, so I'll say it again. Simply wearing a diaper in itself will never cause incontinence. If you attempt to maintain normal control with a normal time between peeing then it will never happen. This is lkke asking is switching from briefs to boxers can cause incontinence, so nope.

IF you start using the diaper with each (or most) feeling you need to pee then it is likely your bladder will shrink, and your body will get more used to going right away with each need. Possibly enough that you could develop urge incontinence (trust me, this type is horrible and painful to have). IF you attempt to always keep your sphincter muscle relaxed, then you are likely to develop full functional incontinence. Your bladder will then shrink to be very small, and you will constantly leak without even feeling it (which is likely what you desire but be warned it IS a near constant dripping)

Also, with urge incontinence it is unlikely you would then be able to re-potty train and regain normal continence ever again. With functional incontinence it IS always possible to re-potty train. However, most people don't have the pain tolerance or muscle control to re-stretch the bladder. As such, for them it is highly unlikely they will ever regain continence. I personally LOVE being completely diaper dependent, but until you experience it yourself you simply can't know if you will truly love or hate it. And by then it may be too late to change your mind.

Reactions: janus80
Yes the mere fact of just wearing nappies will have no consequence on your continence.

If in fact your like me and like to simulate incontinence by making your sphincter muscle remain in a total relaxed position and wetting at the slightest urge over time you will notice the urge to pee all the time and when you do its a small amount and a weak stream them it repeats some minutes later. You get a uncomfortable for a few weeks because your constantly feel the urge to pee at night. This goes and you begin to wake up to pee but in semi-conscious you pee and fall straight back to sleep while still in the same position.

You begin to able to pee in every position and each time its a small amount, you catch yourself dribbling small amounts while not noticing. You catch yourself dribbling after you've peed. This continues to turn into stress incontinence. I backed out at this time. It took some time to get back to normal having to visit the toilet 7/8 times in a hour too pee. I still have to get up 2 times a night to pee. I always wet the bed when I drink excess alcohol, that never happened before. And when I do wear nappies again so so easy to pee, even if I have a tiny bit of pee in my bladder as soon I start wearing I need to pee. Wearing 24/7 and wetting at the slightest urge you will end up incontinent.

I saw an interesting article just yesterday. It was on the default MSN page you get if you open a new tab. I went back today to see if I could find the link to post, but sadly I was unable to do so.

So anyway, it basically explained that going to the toilet everytime you felt the slightest urge or when not needed is bad for you. For example, like a TV program is about to start that you like to watch and you think, I should go for a quick pee before (even though you dont need to). If you get what I mean. In a nutshell, what it said was that your bladder becomes conditioned to feel irritated to get emptied even though its not full, like half its capacity etc.

So whats this got to do with this topic? When I wear, I just release anytime I feel like it, I think they are right you know. When at work when not wearing, I think I do feel the need to go more often than I should, the knock on effect from wearing diapers I guess. I myself would say it wouldnt lead to full blown urinary incon, but a reduced bladder capacity.

Just wearing, no. However, IF you decide to use as soon as you feel the urge every single time no matter what, it will diaper train you and you will reduce your bladder size, and there is a possibility that voiding will go back to automatic. (I have a friend who has did that and has been working to retrain himself for the past month.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back