Solo diapering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lykedanappies

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Guys and girls, I'm new to this forum and recently have become a devout DL. With that being said, I could use some help. Tapeing on a nappy correctly comes with practice. My question is what position is best to a successful taping? Standing up, sitting or laying down?

For me it’s laying down, to get the tapes pointing up and down properly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Standing up works quite well and is convenient. Despite that, I usually feel like the fit is a little better for me lying down. I expect it varies by person, so play around with both approaches and see what works best.

You will find that the best solo taping position depends entirely on the individual.

For me personally, I lay down as well, it helps me get a nice tight seal between my legs and it's a great position for making sure the tapes line up and are equal on each side. Occasionally, if a tape needs to come over a bit more or if it needs to be loosened a tad, I'll stand up to make those adjustments. I also like having a body mirror in front of me when I tape up and make adjustments, this usually assists me in making sure the fit is correct before closing up shop and it also helps me judge if the tapes need to be adjusted.

So yeah, I lay down for the initial taping, if adjustments need to be made, I stand up and I have a body mirror on standby just to make sure the diaper is positioned and laying correctly. You will find that others tape up differently from myself.

My best advice, you mentioned it yourself, practice, practice makes perfect. The more you tape up and try different positions, the sooner you'll find the best tape up position for you :)

Thanks for info. Know it's just going to take practice, practice, practice and appreciate y'all responding. More questions will certainly follow.

What I've started to do and do basically all the time now is put the Bottom Tapes (far out) on the "Landing strip" area of the diaper I am putting on, then I slide the diaper on (standing up), put on Top Tapes, and Re-Adjust for a more snug fit.

It has become incredibly easy to do and makes for a really good fit too.

Standing is the quickest. You just need to get the adjustment correct with practice.

I do the best job of taping my diaper on when I am leaning against the bathroom wall looking into the mirror.

If you apply the tapes in tried and tested positions by sight alone (rather than by how the nappy feels on you) then you will get the same fit no matter what posture you choose. If you position the tapes according to what feels right, then taping while standing may give you a better fit for standing and likewise for lying down. Around half of my changes are done away from home in washrooms, so they are done standing, by visually positioning the tapes to the guide lines. At home I will experiment more and test the fit of different tape positions, either standing or lying down. I always put my night nappy on lying down, and if someone else is changing me that is also usually done lying down.

Standing to change really benefits from having a wall or surface to lean against to hold the nappy in position while taping. I have a routine that avoids bare skin touching the wall in public bathrooms. Before changing, I use a little pre-cut piece of sticky tape to stick the disposal bag to the wall at waist-height, then lean against that. An alternative that works quite well, and avoids even the need for a surface to lean on, is to use the piece of sticky tape to stick the back of the waistband to my body. This is removed once the nappy is taped up.

I agree that lots of practice and experimentation pays off. A few months of regular wear and you'll be an expert.

I prefer to tape the bottom tapes first while sitting. Then I do the top ones while standing. Then look in the mirror to make sure it all looks even before clothing up.

There's always a lot of different opinions here on the best way to put on a diaper, and a lot of people will tell you they tried many of the different methods and "this one's the only one that works for me." So I think you're best off to just listen to everyone's ideas and try them out and find out which one works best for you.

I personally prefer either to pretape and pull up, or to lean against a door/wall and tape up, top tapes first.

My wear-to-work diaper I have to do standing up against a door, because I wear Tykables Little Builders, and the velcro tapes on them don't stay well when pulling up after pre-taping. The tapes get temporarily pulled on at weird angles when you're pulling up, and that often causes the velcro to twist and pop off. All my other diapers I pretape, to insure I get a perfect, very consistent fit, without the tapes either causing the shell to wrinkle and crease or the tapes themselves to get a wrinkle in them.

Bambinod is right. Take all the suggestion and try them out, then stick with the best way that works for you. Me personally, I prefer standing while leaning against the wall. I first tape the bottom tapes directly across. I then tape on the top tapes directly across as well.

I've been diapering up for so long I have no problem with laying down, and have even done it while standing and not leaning against anything. Though with sitting your diaper will be stretched out more when you put it on. Stand up and it's likely to fall off your, um..... hips, so I don't bother with it that way.

I like your style, I can see that being really convenient.

The only way I can get a good fit is to put the nappy on whilst lying down. You can adjust the back so it's centred, then your weight keeps it in position as you pull up the front and stick down the tapes.

When I first started wearing diapers, I didn't realise that you need to pull the front up quite snugly before sticking down the tapes or you get gaps round the leg-cuffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back