Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap, middle ground, or expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    I buy what is going to work. And it's not always the most expensive option!

I've had expensive things break easily and inexpensive ones that stand up to abuse.

It's variable. We bought a fancy fiberglass-handled garden rake and I ended up snapping the handle in half raking rocks back into our driveway. I went back and got the rusty old cheap one from our garage and it's still going strong. O_O

I bought an off-brand dvd player. Everyone mocks me for it. I bought it because it was regionless and can play -anything-. I got it for $15 and it works fine for what I want from it.

That's also another thing...have realistic expectations of the things you purchase. :P
    I agree with CuddleWoozle: I buy what is going to work for me. I have bought expensive, moderate, and lower-cost in many different categories over the years. I generally try to stay away from "cheap" because I believe you "get what you pay for." I will buy better things after they have gone on sale and I usually try to wait for a sale on most of the things I buy and use. I do buy a few brand names (Folgers Coffee for example) just because I like that particular brand. I do the same with winter coats (Columbia) because I think the quality is worth the price.

I personally buy a mix of products. Though... I also believe in the you-get-what-you-pay-for. Even so, I've learned some tricks from my mother to get good things for lower price. For example, when I was growing up, my mother would always find things like Designer clothes for a much reduced price at TJ Maxx, especially in the clearance aisles.

It totally depends. Sometimes there's no difference at all between the cheapest and most expensive products -- like with OTC drugs. Why pay 3 for a pack of Panadol when you can get unbranded paracetamol for 20p? If you check the manufacturing code on the box, you will often see that the drugs originate from EXACTLY the same production line.

Other times, when comparing cheap and expensive products, the cheaper one is actually "better". Cheaper dehumidifiers and microwave ovens often have a mechanical control panel -- a physical switch and rotary dials -- much easier to use than the expensive model with a complicated digital panel (that will be more likely to break down and be harder to repair) and all sorts of settings that you just don't need.

And sometimes it's hard to say whether you're buying a "cheap" option or an "expensive" one. I spent 100 on a pair of earphones. Most people would say that's expensive, but they were the cheapest model of that brand, and would be considered sub-entry-level for professional musicians.

I also try to plan ahead, so I'll buy summer cycling gear in October, when it's "reduced to clear". Last year I got a pair of 60 shorts reduced to 15, and a windproof top for 60 instead of 160. Woo!

The one thing where there seems to be a good correlation between price and quality is with food. I spend a ridiculous amount of money on food, but I can't imagine life without good food. Perhaps spending 3.50 on a small loaf of bread is extravagant... but it's so delicious (and more healthy) than a 70p a loaf of cheap aerated bread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leio View Post
    I personally buy a mix of products. Though... I also believe in the you-get-what-you-pay-for. Even so, I've learned some tricks from my mother to get good things for lower price. For example, when I was growing up, my mother would always find things like Designer clothes for a much reduced price at TJ Maxx, especially in the clearance aisles.
    TK/TJ Maxx are quite sneaky. Most of their clothes have been specially commissioned for TK Maxx at much lower price points, so the "full price" shown is just made-up to mislead customers into thinking that they're getting a real bargain. There was a documentary made about it, also detailing the fraught relationship with suppliers who were torn between manufacturing cheap clothes for TK Maxx and maintaining the exclusivity of their brand.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...s-8993940.html

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/n...ing-at-tk-maxx

Having said that, I've picked up a few genuine bargains from TK Maxx, but you really have to sort through the crap and check the quality to find the good deals. Their trainers and wallets mostly seem to be good value, and some of the children's books.

I am always alert for value. Wine is a great example. You can spend a lot on a bottle but the ideal is finding something you like that is moderately priced. I try to be thrifty and not waste money but will splurge on occasion.

I buy according to what it is that I want/need and I always do my homework. For example, I had no issue paying $1k for the new Note 9 because the quality of the Note 8 was so great, it's a product that I know will be reliable for the time that I have it. At the same time though, I don't mind buying my clothes and shoes from discount stores like Ross or TJ Maxx.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I consider my myself in the middle, on pretty much everything, and not just on buying stuff.