Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Retard

Default Retard

How do you feel about that word? Apparently there are people trying to get people to stop saying it, because it's as bad as saying the "n" word, or "fag"

It should only be used for people who are actually mentally retarded. Not as an insult.

I don't use it, not even for people who are mentally challenged. I just use, "Mentally challenged."

I find it slightly insulting for anyone, especially since people use it in the wrong context. "That idea is retarded." "What are you, retarded?" That sort of thing.

--The Silent Assassin--

soren456

Yes. It's an insult. There are other words that can be used in place of it.

I find the offensiveness of the word to be idealistically challenged!

Saying 'thats retarded' or 'your retarded' is no worse than saying you're an idiot, stupid, moronic, etc. It's a loose slang insult, I don't think anyone who's called someone a bastard or a bitch used or intended to use them in their exact meaning.
    I find the only people who are offended at the word 'retard' are those who regard the mentally challenged as retards. Stop this association and we can have the word back and use it guilt-free! Seriously!

For me, I use the word alot, but would never ever dare think of using it to describe the less fortunate people who are struggling with mental disabilities. That's just not cool, man. Not cool. That, is retarded.

I'm gonna have to be the asshole here who uses the word retard (Swedified as "retarderad") for people other than those who are actually retarded. I find it different from using nigger and fag as it suggests the person is mentally slow, as opposed to being words for something that's not at all negative in itself. Though I don't use it around people who are retarded, seeing as in that context it might be hurtful.

Seriously though, I think people shouldn't be so hung up on words and the use of them. Take the word fag for example. I don't feel hurt or insulted when people use it despite my being gay. I sometimes use it myself as well. Often when jokingly insulting my friends. It's just a word for crying out loud. The only way to give a word enough power to be hurtful is to treat it as a word containing said power.

I'd say this, look up the etymology of the word retard, you'll find it's a verb, and you'll find that the way it seems offensive, is actually the correct way to use the word.
    If people were saying, "that's mentally handicapped," or "Your mentally handicapped." then they quite possible have an argument, because all those people who want to retard the word retard, are simply retarding society.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
    I don't use it, not even for people who are mentally challenged. I just use, "Mentally challenged."

I find it slightly insulting for anyone, especially since people use it in the wrong context. "That idea is retarded." "What are you, retarded?" That sort of thing.

--The Silent Assassin--
    This statement is the germ of my opinion. Over-use of a word strips a word of itís meaning. It is not the words fault, but when the people of Earth use the word incorrectly, habitually, the word becomes generic, meaningless, and unable to express anything.

Generic, meaningless, unable to express anything --- Remind you of anyone?
    I do hope someone recognizes that joke.

I grew up using the word and have tried hard to break myself from using it. We have kids at my school are are MR or EMR, educable mentally retarded. They are almost always sweet kids. If you worked with them you wouldn't want to use the word. More than half of the kids at my school are black. Most of them are really nice kids. Knowing them makes the "N" word all the more offensive. I could never hurt them. They live with too much hurt as it is. coming from very poor homes.

I despise the word and I never use it. I hate it when people say things like I am so retarded. No one should ever use that word. You never know the meaning it may have for the person standing next to you. Of course me being an Aspie might have something to do with my opinion.