Status
Not open for further replies.

Poohbearboy

18 months
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I bought case Abu kiddos with scent strip and it smells like old lady perfume instead of baby smell.

Yeah... The ABU scent is to the scent of baby diapers what CGI faces are to real faces: close, but different enough be distracting. At least they're trying. For anybody wanting their stash to smell like baby diapers, I'd advise getting a bag of Luvs or Easy-Ups (both very strong and distinct scents) and lining your diaper drawer or container with them.

Cottontail said:
Yeah... The ABU scent is to the scent of baby diapers what CGI faces are to real faces: close, but different enough be distracting. At least they're trying. For anybody wanting their stash to smell like baby diapers, I'd advise getting a bag of Luvs or Easy-Ups (both very strong and distinct scents) and lining your diaper drawer or container with them.

That's what I do as well. :)

:D I know I sound like a broken record but I put a baggie of Dreft scent beads in the bag I store my diapers and inserts in and everything smells amazing. Extra bonus as a clothie: scent boost beads, unlike fabric softener beads, don't cause repelling, so I can wash with them. Something for other clothies to think about.

Reminds me of the Old Attends with that perfumey smell that you can tell from other side of room you got a fricken diaper on !

I don't seem to have a problem with their scent, even though some others do here apparently. It's definitely not vintage Pampers or Luvs, but it's better than what was used on the Covidien Wings product, when Tyco International owned the brand. I guess nobody has to buy them scented if they don't want that. After all, Huggies and the generic brands don't apply any scent to their products.

Never tried ABU scent but I purchased some diapers from Rearz with scented strips a couple of times. They have 4 different kinds. The first time I got he baby powder scent. It was okay, very light scent not too overpowering but didn’t remind me much of what I remember vintage pampers to smell like. I then tried their fabulous baby powder on my next order. The smell was overpowering and not very pleasant, it reminded me of a urinal cake. I couldn’t use those diapers for a while. I had to take them out of the bag and let them air out a bit before I could use them. After that I’ve been nervous about trying out any type of scenting. I’m still looking for that baby pampers smell and I imagine I’m not alone. Problem is my memory is really faded when it comes to what they actually smelled like but I can remember that is one of the things that attracted me to diapers when I was young.

It is likely that the classic Pampers scent won't be coming back. If you look at the current Pampers, I would say they are about similar to what you get from ABU. I remember that Pampers would have a scent similar to Johnson's Baby Powder, but also a good hint of pepper. That does not exist in the current Luvs or Pampers, although Luvs are a bit more pleasant. The Luvs scent is a bit more pronounced in size 5 and smaller, but that may be because size 6 tends to stay on the shelves longer. Regardless of which brand it may be, none of the scents will last very long. Luv's scent is extremely faint, compared to what they were less than two decades ago.

They're probably phasing out having scents in the diapers because so many people either don't like them or they don't trust them with added scents/chemicals. A lot of things are going 'scent-free' and, to my eternal happiness, dye-free*. Especially in regards to babies. I'm not sure why people are more panicky about babies than they are toddlers/small children in regards to chemicals/dyes/scents. One would think that we'd just stop having all the synthetic dyes in stuff for all kids. :p

*I have the worst reactions to red dye. I actually screwed up once and was craving a Hawaiian Punch, so I bought one and drank it not even thinking that they'd add red dye to it. My throat nearly swelled shut. D: That'd be a heck of a thing...floating around as a ghost talking to the other ghosts... "What killed you?" "Hawaiian Punch." "You got beaten up by a Hawaiian?!" "No. The drink."

CuddleWoozle said:
They're probably phasing out having scents in the diapers because so many people either don't like them or they don't trust them with added scents/chemicals. A lot of things are going 'scent-free' and, to my eternal happiness, dye-free*. Especially in regards to babies. I'm not sure why people are more panicky about babies than they are toddlers/small children in regards to chemicals/dyes/scents. One would think that we'd just stop having all the synthetic dyes in stuff for all kids. :p

*I have the worst reactions to red dye. I actually screwed up once and was craving a Hawaiian Punch, so I bought one and drank it not even thinking that they'd add red dye to it. My throat nearly swelled shut. D: That'd be a heck of a thing...floating around as a ghost talking to the other ghosts... "What killed you?" "Hawaiian Punch." "You got beaten up by a Hawaiian?!" "No. The drink."

In Germany, diapers and most baby products in general simply aren't scented, at all. So I'm somewhat confused at discussions about baby scents or diaper scents, because I don't have any reference to them^^
There's one thing that will make me baby out though, which is HIPP body lotion (or other HIPP products). They don't have added scents, but they still smell like something, and it just feels so babyish to me, I can't even explain.

CuddleWoozle said:

Issue is parents are basically putting their kids in a 18 year bubble and not exposing them to different things such as peanuts at a early age. If they did the allergies for that would be greatly diminished many studies have proven that. Also exposing them to dirt and chemicals also builds their system up so later in life they will not have a weakened immune system and be able to live a normal or close to normal life.
Same goes for those who are sensitive to scents were not exposed to scents as children. Your immune system would have built up to accept that scent as good instead of bad.
Now there are scents that you should be allergic to and they are scents that are put off by illicit drugs, tobacco, and skunks other than that its a matter of personal preference to accepting smells like Limburger or seafood scents.
Anyway this is my half a cents worth of opinion and views on this issue.

xpluswearer said:
Issue is parents are basically putting their kids in a 18 year bubble and not exposing them to different things such as peanuts at a early age. If they did the allergies for that would be greatly diminished many studies have proven that. Also exposing them to dirt and chemicals also builds their system up so later in life they will not have a weakened immune system and be able to live a normal or close to normal life.
Same goes for those who are sensitive to scents were not exposed to scents as children. Your immune system would have built up to accept that scent as good instead of bad.
Now there are scents that you should be allergic to and they are scents that are put off by illicit drugs, tobacco, and skunks other than that its a matter of personal preference to accepting smells like Limburger or seafood scents.
Anyway this is my half a cents worth of opinion and views on this issue.

The thing is, my issues with synthetic dyes didn't start up until I was 30 years old. :laugh: I used to drink Hawaiian Punch by the gallon as a kid. I used to -eat- dirt when I was little. (Mom has plenty of stories about that. LOL) So not everything is about exposure as a child.

That said, I love me some peanuts. And peanut butter. And Reese's Cups. So does another guy I work with. I told him that if either of us developed a peanut allergy that the other should chase them down with a bag of Reese's Cups screaming "ASSISTED SUICIDE!" to put us out of our peanut-loving-but-can't-have-them misery. Both of us developed lactose intolerance and still love milk and ice cream. :laugh: Now he just walks into the room and yells "I HAD A MILKSHAKE!" and everyone is like "OMG NOOOOOOOO." Because they'll have to work with him tooting all night.

I'm still investigating the baby scents I like. Personally I sort of like the ABU scent strip smell, but then, I haven't been exposed to a whole lot of real baby smells. I do know I love the smell of 100% cornstarch baby powder. I was born and spent several years in England, where we had an antiseptic rash cream called Sudocrem. I love the smell of that stuff because it takes me straight back to my early childhood. I just ordered some online and am quite excited. I haven't smelled it in years. Being freshly washed and wrapped in a freshly powdered diaper, protected by Sudocrem and wearing a warm snuggly footed sleeper makes me feel more little and secure than anything else in the world.

Baby Magic is back in the pink bottle and very close to the original scent. I think there was one of those heated room fresheners that had the Baby Magic scent as well. I would love a perfume that matched baby Magic, but so far I have not found it.

- - - Updated - - -

Saw this comment on the Dreft site and found it amusing. "So, I decided to try it out on a load of sheets - you just toss the beads in at the start of the wash, very simple - and promptly forgot all about it. A few weeks later I came home from a business trip to find new sheets on the bed and a husband who smelled like a baby. I thankfully remembered my experiment with Dreft Blissfuls In-Wash Scent Booster, and I will call it a success, with a caveat - the scent really does stick around, so make sure you want your loved ones to smell like the scent you've chosen. I don't want my husband to smell like a baby, so in the future I would choose more of a clean or relaxing scent."

I notice with my last ABU order that the stip itself smelled gross. However, when left out the scent will diffuse and actually change. It smelled quite pleasent to me when diluted into the air and not smelling the strip itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back