8K TVs are going to come to Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
1080p, 4k, 8k... most of them can't decompress the raw video fast enough anyway so you get a great resolution until anything moves... 1080p30 is throwing 1.5Gbit/sec at the screen (before 5.1 channels of audio) and even on blu-ray you've got to compress that a lot to fit 90 mins on a disc. Hell, you've got to compress it a lot to get it down an HDMI cable unless you want to pay $100 for a cable.

Look at water, explosions, shots from planes over forest - it degrades like an overly-compressed JPEG very quickly wherever there's a lot of stuff moving around.

If they were serious about video quality they'd be doing 60fps which is "smooooth with a capital smoo" but it's not as good for boasting down the pub :wallbash:

RubberJin said:
1080p, 4k, 8k... most of them can't decompress the raw video fast enough anyway so you get a great resolution until anything moves... 1080p30 is throwing 1.5Gbit/sec at the screen (before 5.1 channels of audio) and even on blu-ray you've got to compress that a lot to fit 90 mins on a disc. Hell, you've got to compress it a lot to get it down an HDMI cable unless you want to pay $100 for a cable.

Look at water, explosions, shots from planes over forest - it degrades like an overly-compressed JPEG very quickly wherever there's a lot of stuff moving around.

If they were serious about video quality they'd be doing 60fps which is "smooooth with a capital smoo" but it's not as good for boasting down the pub :wallbash:

Still 4k has some merits while 8K will probably have nothing going for it for at least 3 or 4 years (like how 4k didn't have uses at the beginning, but now there is 4k gaming and 4k movies and 4k streaming services like some programs on Netflix), but really 8K will probably flop because I'm not even sure humans can see the difference from 4k to 8k.

BabyTyrant said:
Still 4k has some merits while 8K will probably have nothing going for it for at least 3 or 4 years (like how 4k didn't have uses at the beginning, but now there is 4k gaming and 4k movies and 4k streaming services like some programs on Netflix), but really 8K will probably flop because I'm not even sure humans can see the difference from 4k to 8k.

Meh, I'm not convinced most people have a big enough room (and high-resolution eyeballs) to really warrant 4k over (decent) 1080p.

I don't see much difference between mine as I have both though the 1080 is a much smaller screen.

RubberJin said:
Meh, I'm not convinced most people have a big enough room (and high-resolution eyeballs) to really warrant 4k over (decent) 1080p.

You don't really need a huge room for a 4k TV as the resolution difference may be noticeable in a sub 50 inch screen, 8K OTOH will see a need for screens twice the size, so you need both a wall that is 2x as big, but also a room that is twice as big.

I also saw a huge difference between my old 1080p Magnavox and my new 4k SUHD samsung, though admittedly I cant exactly gauge how much of a difference was because my old TV was 10 years old; and how much difference there was because of 4x the resolution.

All I i know is 4K Gaming and 4k Netflix are both great uses of the resolution; even though the PS4P isn't native 4k (it upscales, but the engine it uses is quite brilliant and making the resolution pop way better than on an Xbox 1S).

I'm thinking of getting a bigger, newer Samsung SUHD (or QLED as they are going by now), just because I can get my brother to send me one for way less than retail (Best Buy Employee Discount).

Kinda incredible they can make this stuff and then make content to fit.

When our CRT widescreen let its smoke out I bought a 3D TV and also watched a couple of 3D movies on it (Avatar, 3D upscaled Barbarella, Schrek and some X-Men movie) but never even thought about it after that but it has been a good regular TV ever since.

I was extremely keen to try a 1st person game in VR but now wondering if a 4K or 8K large screen TV wouldn’t be better since stuff looks pretty 3D if the source material is good enough?

Yeah, higher resolution on streaming services (like Netflix) and video gaming (like 4k HDR gaming) definitely is a selling point to those services and gaming systems, but 8k is still a few years out from usability (like 4k initially was), I'm not planning on getting an 8k TV anytime soon because the resolution will be wasted from not having any uses, and be hella expensive for being the "newest, hottest" technology.

Every time a new technology is out it is largely useless for a long time AND costs you a premium, the only good thing to these new technologies is it makes the older ones seem less desirable and therefore go down in price (think of how video technology went from VHS to DVD, to Blu-Ray, to 4k Blu-Ray) , but that doesn't matter much to me when I can get up to 70% off retail by having my brother buy the TV with his employee discount.

What babytyrant said - I wait until at least the 2nd generation of stuff otherwise you're paying 10x more than you have to. Big 1080p TV's were thousands, now decent ones are a few hundred and 4k ones are dropping too. Hell, wait for a big sports event (here it's the world cup) and half the country get rid of their old TV and buy the latest greatest, you can then pick up a last-gen TV for peanuts.

Mind you, I've got a triple HD monitor setup on my PC and am watching TV on an ancient 720p TV via SCART from the freeview box so you can see my priorities :biggrin: then again, I mostly listen to the radio as the pictures are better :tongueout:

There's plenty of horsepower to "decompress" in the TV. What you're seeing is the artifacts of compressing the HD streams enough to fit into the broadcast/cable/sat channels.

I'm not trying to start an argument about video compression but I'll just say I've worked in that area and do have some idea what I'm looking at. Be it broadcast or on high-capacity blu-ray there is not enough bandwidth anywhere to store or transport uncompressed HD video unless you buy HD-SDI gear, and I've yet to see any consumer gear with that on it.

outside of science shows I didn't really find hdtv all that important, let people with better eyesight then me spend their money on it.

When I clean my glasses the world goes from 720p to 1080p :biggrin:

If they weren't so scratched I'm sure I could get to 4k...

RubberJin said:
When I clean my glasses the world goes from 720p to 1080p :biggrin:

If they weren't so scratched I'm sure I could get to 4k...

Haha.....and quite right. I have 20/20 vision at the moment, but even that can't really take advantage of my ultra 4 K Samsung once I'm sitting four or five feet from the screen.

dogboy said:
Haha.....and quite right. I have 20/20 vision at the moment, but even that can't really take advantage of my ultra 4 K Samsung once I'm sitting four or five feet from the screen.

Well, that is why you sit further away from the screen, which is also the problem the 8k Resolution TVs will have (in both needing a bigger screen and needing to sit further away)

Tyrant - you misunderstand, if you sit far enough away to see the whole screen you're too far away to see the detail at 4k / 8k etc.

RubberJin said:
Tyrant - you misunderstand, if you sit far enough away to see the whole screen you're too far away to see the detail at 4k / 8k etc.

You make it sounds as if you basically have to sit inches away from the screen to see the detail, which is inaccurate and you don't want to sit super close to the screen anyways.

My whole point is 4K actually has uses these days - it didn't at first, it took a little while for uses for 4k to start coming out, but now it is a usable resolution and actually does look much better than 1080p for the few uses it has, 8K is gonna be even worse than 4k initially was, will probably take a longer time to see any usefulness, and is going to require bigger screens and bigger space than any resolution before it; chances are either it will be a complete flop, or they will have to start making them very cheap very soon to see any significant sales.

Of course when you don't have a good 4k TV anybody can be super skeptical about the resolution actually being put to use, but when you have a good 4k setup (not just the TV but also whatever "system" is plugged in (video game system, 4k Blu-ray player, media streaming device, etc), cables, and movies/games/digital signal), my TV was 2300 at retail (I paid 800 as open box), my PS4P was 400+ tax retail (though I bought used for about 350), and cables arent too much but games can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back