8K TVs are going to come to Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Basically going to be a gigantic waste of money unless you have

1. Enough money to buy a huge screen TV (every time resolution goes up you need an even bigger TV to be able to easily notice the difference), for an 8K TV you may need to go to like 100+ inches

2. Plenty of space on a TV stand/wall and a very big room.

I'm pretty sure its gonna end up being a flop because I cant see enough people buying into it to make it last.

Right now I have a 49 inch Samsung SUHD (4K) Smart TV from 2016 and use it for all my purposes (media streaming on multiple programming up to 4k, and PS4 Pro gaming) and would not be spending extra money just to go for an 8K, the only way I would go for such a TV is if it got to the point where i didn't have a choice when buying a new TV.

Yeah, I have a Samsung 55" SUHD (4K) and there's almost nothing broadcasted in anything that comes close to SUHD 4K. I do have DVD's that are in 4K but I'm not sure my eyes notice a great difference. I do like the overall quality and picture of the Samsung, so I'm pleased with it. I'm more pleased with my Infinity surround sound system.

Yeah. As soon as 4K TVs appeared, 8K was predictable. Marketing departments love numbers, and just like it was Megapixels that sold digital cameras for a decade, it'll be the "K" factor that sells TVs for a while. Consumers just get screwed. As it is, there's very little meaningful 4K programming right now, and I'm not convinced that people really want it. We've all gotten used to crappy compressed 1080p and 720p from NetFlix.

dogboy said:
Yeah, I have a Samsung 55" SUHD (4K) and there's almost nothing broadcasted in anything that comes close to SUHD 4K. I do have DVD's that are in 4K but I'm not sure my eyes notice a great difference. I do like the overall quality and picture of the Samsung, so I'm pleased with it. I'm more pleased with my Infinity surround sound system.

There is 4K on Netflix and 4K Gaming and 4K Blu Ray movies, besides that 4K is still kinda a worthless format/feature, but there are some great Netflix programs worth watching in 4K, the movies can be amazing, and to me 4k Gaming is a joy (even if its upscale to close to 4k), but yeah if you have less than stellar eyes I could see not noticing a huge difference.

My eyes are pretty healthy, but I always wear glasses otherwise I would be quite visually impaired.

BabyTyrant said:
There is 4K on Netflix and 4K Gaming and 4K Blu Ray movies, besides that 4K is still kinda a worthless format/feature, but there are some great Netflix programs worth watching in 4K, the movies can be amazing, and to me 4k Gaming is a joy (even if its upscale to close to 4k), but yeah if you have less than stellar eyes I could see not noticing a huge difference.

My eyes are pretty healthy, but I always wear glasses otherwise I would be quite visually impaired.

I had cataracts removed in January and supposedly I now have 20/20 vision. But yeah, you do have to have really good vision to see the difference between HD and 4Hd. I've also noticed that in movies, they use a lot of lens filters to soften up the image and I think that sort of works against the benefits of 4HD. On the other hand, some National Geographic things are amazing in 4HD. Sports are sharp and colorful and fun to watch.

Yeah - sure... the industrie have to sell new stuff... Sometimes it’s usefull sometimes not...

Just check the resultion in which movies are produced, then check the resultion of digital cinema projectors, then check the value chain of the movie industrie and the way rightes where given.

Afterwards check the retina resulution of an eye and make a short calculation how far you have to sit away from a TV to mention that 8K resultion.

Then start laughing about people who buy that stuff...

mickdl said:
Yeah - sure... the industrie have to sell new stuff... Sometimes it’s usefull sometimes not...

Just check the resultion in which movies are produced, then check the resultion of digital cinema projectors, then check the value chain of the movie industrie and the way rightes where given.

Afterwards check the retina resulution of an eye and make a short calculation how far you have to sit away from a TV to mention that 8K resultion.

Then start laughing about people who buy that stuff...

Yeah, its basically to the point where people would need to make a room into a kind of Home Theater for such huge TVs you would need to really enjoy the new 8K Resolution, at least with 4K you wouldn't need such a big TV to make use of such a great resolution, I just hope that eventually it becomes more practical outside of the few uses that 4k Resolution has so far.

Remember when 3 - D television was the big seller. That sure faded quickly. The funny thing is that they still make 3 - D movies to show on the big I-max 3 - D theaters. My wife and I saw The Jungle Book that way and it was a great experience. Not so much on 3 - D TVs though.

dogboy said:
Remember when 3 - D television was the big seller. That sure faded quickly. The funny thing is that they still make 3 - D movies to show on the big I-max 3 - D theaters. My wife and I saw The Jungle Book that way and it was a great experience. Not so much on 3 - D TVs though.

you just made me remember that the tv in my living room is 3D. my dad bought it when he scored a month's salary worth of money on the lottery and he loved the store demo recording so much he bought the tv. i don't think we watched more than two 3D movies on that tv. looking back on it i really can't believe we were so dumb

Alexia said:
you just made me remember that the tv in my living room is 3D. my dad bought it when he scored a month's salary worth of money on the lottery and he loved the store demo recording so much he bought the tv. i don't think we watched more than two 3D movies on that tv. looking back on it i really can't believe we were so dumb

Don't feel bad. My daughter and son-in-law bought one when they were all the rage, and in regular vision, it has a great picture. I think they tend to have really good resolution, bright colors, etc.

dogboy said:
Don't feel bad. My daughter and son-in-law bought one when they were all the rage, and in regular vision, it has a great picture. I think they tend to have really good resolution, bright colors, etc.

Well, there are bad, decent, good, and really good versions of TVs out there, regardless of screen size, resolution, number of features, brand, etc.

I had an old school fat screen 1080p Magnavox for about 10+ years, it was actually a pretty good TV, good sound, great picture, etc.

I only replaced it with a new TV because I had used it for so long and wanted something newer and better and I ended up getting a pretty good deal on a 2016 Samsung SUHD Smart TV, and that's my TV in my Living Room for everything (well short of 4k Blu-rays because I dont have a 4k Blu-Ray player currently, I did before and liked it, but the movies can be expensive and it would go a long way to have a soundbar or speaker system with it as well as the sound for movies is a lot lower than the number on the volume says)

Just exactly like when 1K, 4K, and 3D came out, every single reviewer out there is saying to wait a few years before buying an 8K tv. They are overpriced, and so very little content is in 8K anyways that they won't be fully utilized.

I don't get it. Who cares that much about video resolution beyond HD? Yet there's a crazy demand for ever increasing resolution.

We had CDs in the 1980s, for goodness sake! Yet audio quality plummeted the depths with MP3s and hasn't even recovered to CD-quality yet! Where are the high-def audio services and TV systems?!

It's madness!

tiny said:
I don't get it. Who cares that much about video resolution beyond HD? Yet there's a crazy demand for ever increasing resolution.

We had CDs in the 1980s, for goodness sake! Yet audio quality plummeted the depths with MP3s and hasn't even recovered to CD-quality yet! Where are the high-def audio services and TV systems?!

It's madness!

There is actually quite a noticeable difference between 1080p and 4k, but there will be a much less noticeable difference between 4k and 8k, the picture will probably look better because of any number of other advancements in technology and not just resolution.

But I digress, the biggest problem is every jump up in resolution requires a much bigger TV which costs a lot more money and needs a lot more space, that's what makes it make no sense.

Not only will most people not be able to afford the technology for a long time, but even when it gets much cheaper nobody will have walls and rooms that are big enough.

I think 50" is as big as I want. I once bought a 55" Samsung, and it had an internal crack. And I'm definitely not interested in 8K. I'll stick with 4K at most.

I'm holding out for the 32K TVs.

12srepaid said:
I think 50" is as big as I want. I once bought a 55" Samsung, and it had an internal crack. And I'm definitely not interested in 8K. I'll stick with 4K at most.

Well, I doubt big TVs always have internal damage or people wouldn't be buying them, there is no sense in that.

My brother in Florida has a 60ish inch TV with no apparent flaws in it.

But as I've said before, the main thing with a TV is getting one that is scaled according to the length of room you have and how much wall space you have; and most people I'm sure do not have the kind of space it would take to make an 8K TV practical.

I'm still regretting my 3D TV I bought years ago. The little content that was available has nearly entirely disappeared. I'm still smarting from the slightly less popular Beta format on video cassettes as well :)

There is a formula that defines screen size based on viewing distance. For example, a viewing distance of 10ft would benefit from a 75"screen. 8K while a natural progression for larger screen sizes, will benefit gamers who sit very close to the screen.

ArchtopK said:
There is a formula that defines screen size based on viewing distance. For example, a viewing distance of 10ft would benefit from a 75"screen. 8K while a natural progression for larger screen sizes, will benefit gamers who sit very close to the screen.

Actually a 75 inch screen would feel like too much in a 10 foot long room, you would be better off with a 13-15 foot long room for a 75 inch screen TV.

Go up to 100 inch screen (which would be necessary to enjoy 8K at a distance) and you would be talking about an almost 17 foot long room.

That is why 8K is IMO gonna end up as a flop, not to mention the higher the resolution gets the less graphical difference you will see from the resolution before it, 720p to 1080p seems like a huge jump, 1080p to 4k (which is actually 2160p) seems like a good jump, 4k to 8k will probably not feel like it is groundbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back