Post Surgery Diaper Suggestions? Incision will be at bellybutton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlitteredArtist

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
AT the beginning of October I'm having abdominal surgery (3rd time, ughhh) they will make three incision one on the bellybutton and then one at the same height on either side.
Getting up and down a bunch will really suck, especially the first 24 hours. So I was thinking it would be an excellent time to just wear for a bit.

Most of the diapers I have tried come up to my navel and with the incision I seriously want to avoid that.

Ideas?

GlitteredArtist said:
Most of the diapers I have tried come up to my navel and with the incision I seriously want to avoid that.

Actually a lot of diapers are "low-rise", as long as you don't buy too big. Bambino/tykables/Space are all fairly low-rise models. Actually quite a few others are as well. Maybe you're just used to wearing oversize diapers?

If you don't want to change sizes or brands another thing you can do is fold the front and back of the diaper in a little so it falls below your belly button line.

I do this often and also don't like how high diapers rise. Don't want to risk buying a smaller size either because I've got big hips.

Plus added bonus....Folding in the waistband will reduce a leak from the top!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can always use what you currently have and just fold in and tape or fold back and tape so it will not affect that area.

Yep, the ol' waistband fold! :D The nice thing about it is that you can customize the rise that way. If the plastic bugs you, you might also put a bit of gauze behind it, but keep in mind that if liquid gets up that high it'll wick out with it.

I wanted to say good luck in advance with your surgery! My mom just had foot surgery and she can't put any weight on her foot. It makes it a pain in the butt to move around. I can't imagine having stitches in my belly! I would want to giggle and then "OWIES!" So you must be very brave. *nodnod*

Be prepared to have a catheter inserted while you are on the table once the doctor sees your diaper, as the surgery point is to close to your diaper and they will be worried about infections. I was in for day surgury for a hurnea operation and it was a close call for me having a catheter.

Rob110 said:
Be prepared to have a catheter inserted while you are on the table once the doctor sees your diaper, as the surgery point is to close to your diaper and they will be worried about infections. I was in for day surgury for a hurnea operation and it was a close call for me having a catheter.

I have no intentions of showing up in a diaper, I know for certain I will have the cath during, I've had this procedure done twice before now.
I'm more thinking of the first 24 hours after at home, sitting up and down will be hellacious because the incisions go through my abdonimal wall .. so less moving is better

I recently had my prostrate removed, so I had a bunch of small incisions between my waist line and hips line. I am also incontinent, so diapered the entire time before, going into the OR, and after the surgery.

If the incision will only be at your belly button, then like the others mentioned just fold in the top of the diaper and you should be fine. If that isn't an option, or the incision is a little lower you can request a bunch of gauze and tape. Tape over the gauze completely to cover the incision with a sort of custom bandaid (or alternatively buy some large bandaids).

It's ok if the incision gets wet with pee though, just as long as it doesn't stay wet for too long. Keeping it clean and dry is needed so it will heal better/faster. The "bandaid" allowes you to continue wearing and wetting while keeping it dry. Still make sure to give the incision plenty of airing out time too though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back