Best way to find diaper designs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayden123

Monkey the Diaper Boy
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
The way I apply textures onto the diaper model that I use is by simply searching classic designs via Google. However, there's not that many with the designs I'm looking for, while some that do come up are either too small, not stretched out, have too many creases and all of the above.

I wonder if there's a better way to find old diaper designs, either baby or adult?

There's a certain frowned upon ABDL that has good diaper tape pictures.

http://www.pamperchu.net/DiaperTapes.html

What he did might get this response taken down, but can't deny the quality of those tape scans

Honestly I advise you to manually redraw some of the stuff. You can actually load up images in software like inkscape and redraw it into a vector. This allows you to blow it up to any size and not lose quality as long as you fix any mishaps that come from a computer redrawing it.

Thing is most baby diapers use simple shapes anyways to begin with. They are not that hard to reproduce using simple shapes and vector line art.

Also another thing the UV map used on those models wasn't that good. It was my first try and I sorta threw the uv map together. Because of this you will always get stretching unless you scale parts of the shape inward accordingly.

kratox said:
Honestly I advise you to manually redraw some of the stuff. You can actually load up images in software like inkscape and redraw it into a vector. This allows you to blow it up to any size and not lose quality as long as you fix any mishaps that come from a computer redrawing it.

Thing is most baby diapers use simple shapes anyways to begin with. They are not that hard to reproduce using simple shapes and vector line art.

Also another thing the UV map used on those models wasn't that good. It was my first try and I sorta threw the uv map together. Because of this you will always get stretching unless you scale parts of the shape inward accordingly.

I've tried a couple of re-draws before, but none of them turned out amazing. Still, thanks for the advice.

Taking kratox's advice, I've done an average but simple diaper design, inspired by vintage Pampers Baby Dry. It's not perfect, but I guess it's a start!

design1.jpg design2.jpg

Jayden123 said:
Taking kratox's advice, I've done an average but simple diaper design, inspired by vintage Pampers Baby Dry. It's not perfect, but I guess it's a start!

View attachment 31494 View attachment 31495

Those actually look really good! I like how the texture in the back is slightly wrinkled, it gives it a much more realistic look.

possible improvements:
- the waist band is too dark though in the front and back
- the tapes on the front need to stand out a bit more

I really can't see anything else I think could be improved though, great job!

kratox said:
What software are you using to draw?

Photoshop trial. I use the normal as a base for where the designs should be done. The only thing I actually drew was the blue line, while the rest was done with images found online.

- - - Updated - - -

bambinod said:
Those actually look really good! I like how the texture in the back is slightly wrinkled, it gives it a much more realistic look.

possible improvements:
- the waist band is too dark though in the front and back
- the tapes on the front need to stand out a bit more

I really can't see anything else I think could be improved though, great job!

1. Waist band I think has something to do with the normals. The main texture is as white as it can be in Photoshop.

2. As for the tapes.... what can I do to help them stand out more?

I think once I'm satisfied with this, I might do one based on the new Size 8 Baby Drys.... just need to find a good image to use as a reference...

Jayden123 said:
1. Waist band I think has something to do with the normals. The main texture is as white as it can be in Photoshop.

2. As for the tapes.... what can I do to help them stand out more?

I'll have to take a closer look at the tapes when I get home. (beware, I'm NO graphics artist, more of a 'photoshop hack') As for the waistbands, I'm referring to the elastic parts, they seem to be very dark wrinkles, just seems to be a bit more bold than they should be. You should be able to see the corrugations in the plastic, but it shouldn't really have a black or color to it. (look at the subtle wrinkles on the back of the shell, like that)

bambinod said:
I'll have to take a closer look at the tapes when I get home. (beware, I'm NO graphics artist, more of a 'photoshop hack') As for the waistbands, I'm referring to the elastic parts, they seem to be very dark wrinkles, just seems to be a bit more bold than they should be. You should be able to see the corrugations in the plastic, but it shouldn't really have a black or color to it. (look at the subtle wrinkles on the back of the shell, like that)

It's something that you'll still need to pass onto kratox, who made the original model.

Jayden123 said:
It's something that you'll still need to pass onto kratox, who made the original model.

Not sure if you have this but This is how the uv map looks if you want to be able to place things easier.

high_diaper_uv.png

That might be wrong. I made like 50 billion different variations and can't remember what I stopped at.

bambinod said:

I made the wrinkles in such a trash way tbh xD.

I went to websites looking for wrinkles in different fabrics, and then fused/mixed them together. I then ran software called crazy bump that generates normal maps based on lights and darks to get the design I was looking for.
Website used:
https://www.textures.com/category/wrinkles/112397

Software used:
https://www.crazybump.com/

Now a days what I would do is manually draw it on a high level model in zbrush and then render that as a normal and slap it onto a lower polly model.

Also just a heads up another thing I would do is set some of that stuff as a brush. It makes it easier to draw in photoshop:
That is what I do for my art when i want to draw realistic looking pampers.
84f804c7b6cecd39a9d715b3de285dac.png

I am not using Photoshop so brushes will be slightly different but you should be able to do the same thing in photoshop.

Finally for the clouds those can easily be recreated by overlaying circles.

kratox said:
Not sure if you have this but This is how the uv map looks if you want to be able to place things easier.

high_diaper_uv.png

That might be wrong. I made like 50 billion different variations and can't remember what I stopped at.

I made the wrinkles in such a trash way tbh xD.

I went to websites looking for wrinkles in different fabrics, and then fused/mixed them together. I then ran software called crazy bump that generates normal maps based on lights and darks to get the design I was looking for.
Website used:
https://www.textures.com/category/wrinkles/112397

Software used:
https://www.crazybump.com/

Now a days what I would do is manually draw it on a high level model in zbrush and then render that as a normal and slap it onto a lower polly model.

Also just a heads up another thing I would do is set some of that stuff as a brush. It makes it easier to draw in photoshop:
That is what I do for my art when i want to draw realistic looking pampers.
84f804c7b6cecd39a9d715b3de285dac.png

I am not using Photoshop so brushes will be slightly different but you should be able to do the same thing in photoshop.

Finally for the clouds those can easily be recreated by overlaying circles.

Thanks for the tips. I'll see what I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back