Looking for a bigger, soft, chime toy. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpAzpieSweeTot

Daddy's girl through and through! Understood?
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I want a chime rattle, so badly, I could essplode go boom! I'm having trouble finding anything, that's big enough for my darn-near 33-year-old hand. I have small hands, but, I want something obviously too big to be for infants, even if it is really cute. Help me look? I figure, between the bajillion of us, we'll find something. In a flash of utter brilliance, it occurred to me, to look at autism resources, as, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure that's not why I prefer the sound of chimes, to any other rattle. I'd prefer something soft, and, to reach for the stars, with a teether part, and, to reach beyond them, maybe, a mirror? Maybe not. I'm not sure I'd wanna see my grownup face.

Maybe you could get a chime toy and remove the chime bit and put it into something bigger?

Although I would feel pretty horrible doing that to another toy. Like some kind of Dr. Frankenstein.

I've just been off looking at various plushie making suppliers and I can't for the life of me find the chime box for sale separately. I've got growlers (you put them into a teddy bear to let him go 'grrrr'), music boxes and squeakers. Even a couple of 'moo cans'. But no chimes.

There's something called the Large Cuddle ball, but, it's UK based. Beaver house! Dirty, dirty, beaver house!:lol: There's a wooden chime rattle, too, and my bubba actually had to ask what it was, which means, it looked nothing like a rattle, to him. Maybe that one? It looks pretty big. It's not soft, but, I bet the wood makes a cute sound. It's called the Wobbal.

What exactly is a chime rattle? More precisely, is a chime something different than a bell? Because I've sewn a soft activity cube with a few bells inside before (the bells are inside a plastic thing with holes so the can move freely). Maybe you can get someone who does custom abdl clothing to sew you one?

Schwanensee said:
What exactly is a chime rattle? More precisely, is a chime something different than a bell? Because I've sewn a soft activity cube with a few bells inside before (the bells are inside a plastic thing with holes so the can move freely). Maybe you can get someone who does custom abdl clothing to sew you one?

I don't know which she means, but I'm thinking this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_FwXgtOynk

It's a unique sound. I have quite a few of them, but they're actual baby toys. (Which I don't have a problem with at all! But I get why SweeTot wants a bigger one. :3)

Ah, I know those. I don't actually know if you can properly make those as a soft rattle, as it seems like they need a hollow, hard shell to produce that sound, and fabric or stuffing might muffle that. I'll see if I can run some experiments, maybe if you put the container with the chime/bell part inside of another hard container and then put stuffing around...

Actually a chime rattle is a ceramic or plastic rattle that makes a faint chiming sound, in fact, the sound isn't terribly unlike a small bell. I own both a chime rattle and toys with chime rattles in them. I recently got some soft blocks and one of them has a chime rattle inside of it :)

For reference, this is what a standard chime rattle looks like, I just chose the first link I could find:

https://www.pbbemall.com/s/Product/kidsme-chime-rattle-9294/14922

I get where SpAzpieSweeTot is coming from, the handles on standard chime rattles are usually in that awkward triangular shape which would be tricky for larger hands to wield (my hands are really small for a man, so I have no trouble using mine). I do think there are some varieties that have just a standard, long handle, those would probably be easier to grip, but I haven't been able to find any.

Another suggestion, I do know they make stuffies with chime rattles inside of them, I've been looking at getting one myself, that might be a novel way around the handling issue. As a plus, you would have something that not only chimes, but something you can cuddle as well :)

https://www.amazon.com/Jellycat-Bashful-Bunny-Rattle-inches/dp/B003UTBUP2

I found these chime inserts for baby toys, maybe you could find or make a plushie creature or shape you like and put one of these inside. Plus also you could get a teether or autism chewy, attach it to a ribbon or something, then stitch the ribbon to the plush. That’s why I took up plushie sewing as a hobby, because I’m so picky about what I want in my plushies, from size to floppiness to color and stuffing material. I’m considering getting a chime insert for a dragon plushie I ordered on Etsy, she’s spring themed so the chime sound will be a nice touch.

http://www.feltandcraft.com/chime-insert-great-for-baby-and-pet-toys/

Now that we've all heard a chime rattle, see why I want one so badly? Do you; do you; do you? Doesn't it sound pretty!? I wan' i'; I wan' i'; I wan' i'!

Yep yep yep! It makes pretty sounds an’ I wants one too, an’ so does stuffie puppy Angus, right Angus? Right?

I don' wan' one, cause it hurts my ears. But I kinda wanna make one xD

How does it hurt your ears? (I'm honestly curious!)

I find it less jarring than a jingle bell. And when the chime is inside a plushie, it dampens the sound a bit more than with the plastic penguin in the video. Jingle bells are good, too, but I tend to get annoyed with them if they're in/on something when I'm trying to sleep. Roll over *JINGLE* Roll back over *JINGLEJINGLE*. :laugh:

(Also, it took me until last night to realize what you were using 'Beaver House' as a substitution for. :laugh: I was laughing at work and no one knew why. (But that's a common occurrence for me.) I might start doing that along with my "HOOVER DAM!" exclaimation. (I'm -trying- to cut down on the bad language. Woozle's gonna get her mouf washed out someday. D: So I'm using "Froot" for the "F" word, and "WHAT THE WHAT?!" for the "WTF?" expression. XD Beaver House might just fit in perfect.)

I am very sensitive to sound, side effect of chronic migraines, and certain sounds are just physically painful. I've never heard one inside a plushie, so you may be right. I have tiny jingle bells inside of plush cubes, and they're very quiet, which is nice for me. I don't like them on clothes either...I can hardly stand a zipper on a sleeper ^^"

But, like I said, I might experiment a bit. Next time I go by my local craft store, I'll see what materials they have that could mimic a chime, and test how that sounds in a stuffie.

I've seen custom AB rattles on the internet before, though I couldn't tell you where. They were the kind that has a longer handle, and then a stuffed bobble with the rattle part inside. Those don't look difficult to DIY...teethers can be bought separately, for a mirror to hang onto it maybe a bird toy would work? I don't know how sturdy those are though, I just know that people like to hang mirrors in bird's cages, so they can be bought somewhere.

Schwanensee said:
I don' wan' one, cause it hurts my ears. But I kinda wanna make one xD
I'm so sorry! I have sensitive ears, too. That's why I like chimes better than other rattles, but, everyone's different. I should've warned you.:hug:

That activity cube sounds cool. I'm the kind that likes to have plenty to do, not just shake and cuddle.

Darn those migraines. Always hurting people. I've known people who would disappear for days on end inside a dark bedroom because of those. :p

Me too me too guys! I has autism like SpAzpieSweeTot an’ loud sounds or yucky sounds hurts my ears! That’s why I don’t like regular rattles that go shake shake shake ‘cause they make a bad sound an’ sometimes I hafta hit my head to make the yucky feeling go away.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
I'm so sorry! I have sensitive ears, too. That's why I like chimes better than other rattles, but, everyone's different. I should've warned you.:hug:

That activity cube sounds cool. I'm the kind that likes to have plenty to do, not just shake and cuddle.
It's okay, chimes aren't like the worst sound for me, I just wouldn't want to shake one close to my head. And I can't expect everyone to know which sounds bother me, so no worries about warning me of noises ;)
I love the look of activity cubes, but I always just end up shaking them, and not doing any of the other stuff. Unless they have a music box or someting, I'll definitely pull on that.
CuddleWoozle said:
Darn those migraines. Always hurting people. I've known people who would disappear for days on end inside a dark bedroom because of those. :p
Fortunately I can still pretty much participate in everyday life, for me it's less migraine attacks and more a constant pain with bad days and better days. Yes, it's atypical, and doctors are baffled that nothing seems to help, but I can still live my life, so I guess it's fine?
Wuggle said:
Me too me too guys! I has autism like SpAzpieSweeTot an’ loud sounds or yucky sounds hurts my ears! That’s why I don’t like regular rattles that go shake shake shake ‘cause they make a bad sound an’ sometimes I hafta hit my head to make the yucky feeling go away.
I've never gotten a proper diagnosis, but it wouldn't surprise me if I was somewhere on the spectrum. I do have sensory issues, but it's kinda unclear if those are inherent and the cause of my migraines, or if my migraines have made me hypersensitive.

Wuggle said:
Me too; me too, guys! I has autism like SpAzpieSweeTot an’ loud sounds or yucky sounds hurts my ears! That’s why I don’t like regular rattles that go shake shake shake ‘cause they make a bad sound an’ sometimes I hafta hit my head to make the yucky feeling go away.
I've gotten so emotional, my hands went offline. It tingles. Flapping makes it stop.

I'm not formally diagnosed, yet, because, it's hard to find a doctor to diagnose it in females, let alone adult females, let alone adult cerebrally palsied females, but, my family knows, and accommodates it, without it being written on paper.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
I've gotten so emotional, my hands went offline. It tingles. Flapping makes it stop.

I'm not formally diagnosed, yet, because, it's hard to find a doctor to diagnose it in females, let alone adult females, let alone adult cerebrally palsied females, but, my family knows, and accommodates it, without it being written on paper.

Lucky ducky, my family didn’t really accommodate me much at all until I got my diagnosis on paper, and I was 21 when that happened. I’m female too and you’re right, finding someone who knows how to evaluate adult females properly is hard. I flap a lot too, the tingly feeling fills my whole body until I want to claw my skin off. It happens when I’m either super stressed or super excited. Sometimes my hands just flap themselves without me noticing because they like how it feels.

The thing is, my oldest brother is severely autistic. Compared to him, I'm super normal, so no one would have ever thought to get me diagnosed for anything when I was younger, and now it's unclear where my odd behaviour stems from. Also, same, adult female here.
I don't flap, but my brother doesn't either. I rock in place, he does that too. I hum a lot to distract myself, he has a constant melody going. I can't stand the texture of some clothes, he'll rip the tags out of his shirts because they bother him. There's a lot of paralells, but while it's obvious that something is up with him, you wouldn't look at me and go "this person has autism". Even my psychologist says that yes, something's not going quite right in my brain, but his opinion is that my brain is just not comprehending sensory input at a normal rate, so every sensation gets blown out of proportion, but he can't tell me where that's coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back