Issues with going to the gym?

Double wall loose gym shorts keep a slim diaper pretty well hidden if you make sure it is not sticking up out of the top.

I have worn Pull-Ups, cloth backed Tranquility Diapers and I gave up now on caring if people find out if I’m wearing a diaper. I wear Tranquility Slimline Plastic Backed diapers under shorts. No one has noticed or even acted like they did. I also take a shower at the gym and walk with my used diaper in my hand and throw it in the trash without hiding it. Then I put a new diaper on and put my clean clothes on in the locker room. If anyone walks by, no one says anything or even acts differently. As long as u act like it’s no big deal, everyone else won’t even care.

Ihatecrohns said:
Well I’ve beeb to the gym twice since I posted and people have noticed, I’ve been asked by two people if I’m wearing a nappy and why, (my gym is mostly older people who’re nosy) I explained and they told me not to be ashamed, it’s not something I have control over.

I’m just going how I’m comfy so I’m wearing yoga pants and my normal baggy T-shirt and if you look at my backside it’s very obvious I’m in nappies but oh well.

For what it's worth, I'd like to say that I'm proud of you. I know you've been having a difficult time of your Crohn's of late (according to your post in the Diaper Talk forum), and I know if it were me, I'd be skittish about allowing anyone to see my diapers either. Well done for living your life and not letting a medical condition dictate what you will and won't do.

When I went to the gym I wore a pull up and switched into a diaper right after. I used to be self cautious about people knowing I wear diapers. But I’m been wearing non stop for a long time now and every so often my best friend will blurt out hey your diaper is showing. Always in public this happens and at work I have noticed my diaper showing a couple f times and I just don’t care cause it’s what I need to wear and I’m not going to allow it to upset me. I speak openly about it. My boss knows I wear diapers and my whole family. At the end of the day no one really cares. Just wear a onesie at the gym with a nice pair of jogging pants and you will be just fine.

A few ideas...

Was reading the thread and registered to answer this ...

I have Crohn's (brief history, pardon the pun) - and I have had to work through these types of things for some time now. Shorts and T's here, as well.

First things first - I travel like anyone else to so I can carry what I need to the gym. What goes in the gym bag gets placed inside of a zip-lock bag. Wet clothing goes inside of a plastic shopping bag just to save money. Separate changes of clothing go into separate bags, this also gives me spare bags to hold clothing from before/after working out.

I'm not a clean freak .... I simply don't want fungal infections and my car to smell, lol. Fair, right?

Here's how I manage my wardrobe:

For concealing what's going on - I buy the tab-style attends that have two expanding panels on each side, and two blue tapes on each side. I tape the lower tapes high, the upper tapes low. I fold down the front and the back fabric/paper that would otherwise be chest high (exaggeration). There's a lot less bulk with this brand and type if I tape them tight around the waste and my upper leg.

Then to conceal at the gym....

Then I put on tighter fitting briefs over. Larger t-shirt and shorts. Usually compression shorts, or something tight. As a result, nothing can be seen or detected.

If I think I'm headed to a disaster, I leave.

Feel free to D.M. - this was the only option as a new member here. While I'm at it - I am very happy to have lurked around and learn from what I've read here.... hope my advice helps, I'm a guy too - and have been creative problem solving with Crohn's for a while now.

Fireband said:
Well it's looking like i'm gonna be wearing 24/7 if the dr. can't help, so the gym will be off limits to me. Plus my whole wardrobe is shorts and tees so there's a problem

Ihatecrohns said:
Yeah I was gonna try baggy clothes but it’s like I get so hot in the gym :( I know I probably shouldn’t worry it’s just there’s a lot of people my age at the gym and I’m worried they’ll be like laughing at me behind my back and stuff, it sucks I don’t even like wearing skirts much lately just in everyday life cos I’m worried people can see, and I’m scared someone will ask why I’m wearing and it’s embarrassing saying I’m incontinent.

I used to get bullied a bit at school about it so it gets me nervous about people knowing.

anyone who'd laugh at someone with a medical condition has bigger issues then incontinence. The vast majority of people there will not be bothered by the diapers.

To be honest - for the time where I had heavy IC problems I stopped going to the gym. The point was not to cover the diaper (sweatpants and a long T-shirt can cover that easily). The problem was the locker room. I think while the workout most people are self-absorbed and don't care much about their neighbours - but our fitness center had no changing cubicle in the locker room. I did't wont to share my IC problem with others and it was impossible to cover the diaper that I had to change after the workout. I mean sure - normally nobody should care about it, but reality is unfortunately different - and even if people don't say anything you will get these strange glances that makes you feel like an alien who's completely misplaced in that temple of physical fitness.

Fortunately, the gym where I work out has several shower stalls with doors. After working out, I wear underpants over my diaper into a shower stall and carry with me my towel, soap and a fresh diaper in a plastic bag. Inside the stall, I fully disrobe, take my shower, dry off, put on a fresh diaper and my underpants, put my wet diaper into the plastic bag, and then go back to my locker to finish dressing. I have no illusions about the underpants that I wear over my diaper prevents others from realizing that I’m wearing a diaper. But nobody has ever said anything about it, and the little bit of concealment that the underpants provide make me feel better.

Reactions: JOCKMAN
mickdl said:
To be honest - for the time where I had heavy IC problems I stopped going to the gym. The point was not to cover the diaper (sweatpants and a long T-shirt can cover that easily). The problem was the locker room. I think while the workout most people are self-absorbed and don't care much about their neighbours - but our fitness center had no changing cubicle in the locker room. I did't wont to share my IC problem with others and it was impossible to cover the diaper that I had to change after the workout. I mean sure - normally nobody should care about it, but reality is unfortunately different - and even if people don't say anything you will get these strange glances that makes you feel like an alien who's completely misplaced in that temple of physical fitness.

This reminds me of two times that actually happened to me. Once I was visiting some relatives and used their community gym. Sure enough their locker room didn't have any stalls either. I had finished taking a shower (which was also an open style), and had just pulled the front of my diaper up when a kid walked in. He wasn't more than 12 years old, and he just froze. I said, hi to him and continued diapering up. It's was actually kind of funny since he was all wide-eyed and replied wow. But then he went on like nothing happened.

Another time I was in Japan and went to a public hot spring. Nobody had noticed my diaper when I stripped naked, but two older guys noticed when I returned and was getting dressed. Both did a double take, but nothing was said and we all went on our own ways.

Both times it felt a little embarrasing to be "caught", but only at first. The more seconds ticked by, and the more I was able to think about it, the less embarrasing it actually ended up being. My advice, don't let that initial fear of a public outing stop you from living your life. Once it has happened you realize it's really not that big of a deal.

Reactions: JOCKMAN
Hi.

Glas you posted this as I hid from the gym for about 6 months after becoming IC. Trust me I was so scared and even thought that changing at home and walking into the gym was going to be an issue. SO.. I just went in and changed as if nothing was wrong. Just ignored it so to say. I didnt get naked. I took my pants off and left my shirt on. Then put on my shorts and then put on my shirt for working out. Now when I took a shirt it was a bit longer so that my diaper would not get exposed but there has been no problems since.

No to bring this into light. I play hockey on the weekends. This took longer to get used to as you cant really get into hockey pants and drive. Well I guess you can but it would be very hard. So I Put my lycras and socks on under my sweats and when I got there the diaper was hidden in a way. No one has ever commented.

Wow the one place where it feels everyone has a tape measure, besides Home Depot! My, a bit drawn out, suggestions are:

• Find a gym that is open 24/7 or adjust your visits to the mid-day - not prime time.
  • Choose lighter protection and visit when you know your body is less likely to cause issues. I'm worse from morning til about 1-ish pm thus, work outs are in the afternoons. Use something like Always Discreet (S/M) as it has double guards and are thin.
  • baggy trunks down to the knees are in vogue.
  • Arrive already in gym gear - change at work or home.
  • I empty my bladder before starting, and always before cardio. It is annoying to have a bladder urge on the treadmill as the pounding exasperates things. There's nothing like having to pause, straddle the belt, leak, and resume to redden the face and dampen the experience. It is like everyone can tell you are peeing, and can smell it - not.
  • Also, my bladder is wonky (I have many small leaks) after a vigorous cardio workout so, if I shower and change, I need to wear protection. My old gym had decent showers and changing areas but, putting on a pull up was never graceful. Try to quickly get into a pull up after showering, it catches on a thigh, clings to damp skin, adjust fit/gathers - forget about taping a diaper! It also doesn't help with all the mirrors. Think you are in a empty corner, look up! Reflections and stares. Now I just shower at home.

Lastly, as a courtesy to others, I always brought a towel with me into the sauna or steam room as the heat is one of my bladder triggers. Used it to wipe perspiration from my face and sop up when I leaked.

I'm a huge sauna advocate and feel like one of the few urinary incontinent types who is comfortable in a public spa setting. From using the changing facilities to sitting next to nude at my co-ed spa, I've had to develop some hacks to get the most out of these $50 visits.

I start by changing out of my street clothes and wet brief, then self-cath before showing at using the jacuzzi pools. My typical dry-time post catheterize is about 30 minutes on a good day, depending on my liquid intake hours prior. So I have 5 minutes to shower, 15 for jacuzzi, then if I'm not feeling pressure or potential leaks - another 5 in the dry sauna and a splash in the cold plunge.

From there I head back to the locker room and change into a light brief, such as a Unique Wellness or a Total Dry Overnight (equivalent to a Molicare). Once I'm padded and leakproof, I'll head back in and start my normal sweat lodge routine: A) 15 minutes in the dry sauna B) 5 minute cool down in a chair C) 10 minutes in the Russian Banya sauna D) 10 minute cool down on a daybed E) 10 minute steam room session F) 10 minute cool down on the roof

Then rehydrate throughout and start again if I'm mentally up for it. Otherwise I'll take a break in the lounge, possibly changing into another diaper before heading back to my 2nd or 3rd session.

Once I'm done or restarting, I disrobe and dispose of my wet brief(s) in the locker room, before diapering back up and heading back for more rounds.

When I'm done, typically towards the end of the day when they're closing up - I've grown confident and carefree when changing out into my street clothes after throwing on an Abena/ID Slip/BetterDry with stuffer and adequate powder or barrier lotions.

It's taken me 10 years of battling the anxiety associated with my diapered disposition, but coming to terms and realizing that public changing is only as awkward and uncomfortable as you make it. Beyond a look or two of disbelief, everyone is accommodating and understanding to the situation.

The only comments I've gotten were supportive or inquisitive, and a few times I've been approached after the gym by folks my age and older who commended me for being stronger about my incontinence than they're able to be with theirs.

One day, in a perfect world, disposable underwear won't be as taboo as "diapers" and the stigma that surrounds them as an adult.

I have wondered what diaper to wear to the gym. I wear cloth diapers and a PUL diaper cover. I wear baggy sweats and a t shirt I am afraid that a disposable would be changeable at the gym but the tapes tend to fail. and when they are wet they bulge. Cloth diapers are comfortable enough, but aren't as easy to change. any Ideas?

alwayz said:
I have wondered what diaper to wear to the gym. I wear cloth diapers and a PUL diaper cover. I wear baggy sweats and a t shirt I am afraid that a disposable would be changeable at the gym but the tapes tend to fail. and when they are wet they bulge. Cloth diapers are comfortable enough, but aren't as easy to change. any Ideas?

Nobody cares about the bulge, let alone notice. For your own sanity though wear a thinner diaper, possibly a cloth like one. But depending on your own needs. Of which is only an hour or two.

Try wearing compression tight leggings and wear a pair of basketball ball shorts over them. The leggings may cut down on the crinkle and bulge.

At the gym changing room!, one day when pulling down my jeans and I was on always discreet boutique, everyone laughed at me!.
(I used to wear Reebok underwear such as puma high performance underwear......damn bladder leaks!!!!)

Back