Artificial urethral sphincter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elenwen

Est. Contributor
I recently got reassigned to another doctor and today we had a talk and she mentioned this thing called artificial urethral sphincter. As far as I understood, it's some kind of balloon, that compresses the urinary tract and acts similar to normal sphincter. I don't have any feeling or control of my bladder and she said, that despite some complications, it's theoretically possible to get it installed in my situation.
Although I'm basically OK with my condition, I thought it may not be a bad idea. But then I looked it up and there seem to be dangers of this device malfunctioning or damaging something even worse or even the need for a follow up operation...
It's just an idea my doctor had, she isn't really saying I should get it and they'll need to perform some more tests to check if it'll work for me, but still...
Has anyone had any experience with this device and if yes, how did things work out?

Years ago I followed a yahoo incontinence board and one regular poster had a daughter with spina bifida who had one of these fitted. It worked fine for a couple of years then perished and she had to have it removed and she was back to nappies. It appeared that simply fitting another one wasn't an option, I don't know why.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

It was offered to me less than a year ago after my prostrate was removed. Ultimately I declined since I have urge incontinence and didn't want my bladder filling up ever again (or I'd have painful urges again).

From what I found out about the device is its basically a set of two baloons with a control valve. One balloon is implanted near the bladder and a second ring balloon around your urethra. The second baloon is normally closed, but opens when you squeeze a control device implanted in your scrotum the first balloon will open. It then slowly closes in a few minutes.

I also found the device has a staggering high failure rate. Something like 1/3 fail with the first month. And something like 3/4 will fail within the first five years. The most common failure being you can't open the sphincter balloon and have to be catheterized asap. The second was infections when the balloon starts to leak, and that can be 10 or more years after it's implanted.

Why anyone would want this is beyond me. It is a horrible solution. Though it also amazes me what some people are willing to do in order to not wear a diaper. Given you don't have any feeling you won't know when your bladder is full. Accidentally go a little too long and you could induce a number of complications on top of the sphincter failures. My advice, google "artificial sphincter complications", then politely decline having it implanted.

Slomo said:
It was offered to me less than a year ago after my prostrate was removed. Ultimately I declined since I have urge incontinence and didn't want my bladder filling up ever again (or I'd have painful urges again).

From what I found out about the device is its basically a set of two baloons with a control valve. One balloon is implanted near the bladder and a second ring balloon around your urethra. The second baloon is normally closed, but opens when you squeeze a control device implanted in your scrotum the first balloon will open. It then slowly closes in a few minutes.

I also found the device has a staggering high failure rate. Something like 1/3 fail with the first month. And something like 3/4 will fail within the first five years. The most common failure being you can't open the sphincter balloon and have to be catheterized asap. The second was infections when the balloon starts to leak, and that can be 10 or more years after it's implanted.

Why anyone would want this is beyond me. It is a horrible solution. Though it also amazes me what some people are willing to do in order to not wear a diaper. Given you don't have any feeling you won't know when your bladder is full. Accidentally go a little too long and you could induce a number of complications on top of the sphincter failures. My advice, google "artificial sphincter complications", then politely decline having it implanted.
Well, I kind of already declined, but said I'll ask around. Then I looked it up, wrote here (and got two negative comments), talked to my mom... And I don't think I would ever want something like that, because it's not even a cath, that can quickly be removed, if necessary...
Anyway, thanks for information and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back