Diaper closure methods, and various diaper systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

windelboy4

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Hello, I wanted to know how you fixed cloth diapers on the body.
There are various ways to put on diapers, with safety pins, or already preformed with Velcro, or with snaps.
Of course you can put the diapers without fixing help, just a PVC pants over it, and ready. But when you move, they soon loosen up, and when you bend over, they are also compressed and it becomes more and more uncomfortable to carry them.
Different diapers also have Velcro fasteners, but they do not hold on after a while, and they keep opening up. Even if they are closed for washing.
I have also seen some diapers, which are fixed with safety pins. But I do not think that makes sense, because the fabric is damaged at some point by the many piercing. I even think that it is a risk to carry needles close to the body. This already starts when putting on the diaper, if you are not careful, you can sting easily, and if even one of the safety pins opens through the movements, there is also a risk of injury.
I have already tried many things, and I personally think that the push button version is the best, and also the safest. The create works also the fastest, and since the buttons can be closed individually, you can also vary the diaper strength. I have such diapers, which look something like one-time Inkoslips. With side wings laid forward and closed at the front. For the night I put then always thick rectangular diapers, and close the diaper as closely as possible. For the day I mostly use the same method, but then the extra rectangle diaper is less thick. Of course you also need a PVC diaper pants for cloth diapers, but I always wear them anyway, even when I put on an inco-slip.

And what is your opinion on the All in One cloth diapers?

These are diapers that are made of fabric inside, but they have a waterproof exterior, and they are usually offered with Velcro. I have several of them, and the product description usually states that the outside is waterproof. But I have the experience that nevertheless a PVC pants over it is necessary, so that they can really hold back the wet. I always put a thin cloth diaper between the all-in-one nappy and PVC pants to catch escaping moisture. Only then do I feel really safe.

The same I do, if I put on an Inko slip, so that the moisture is better distributed, and it can also be used better, I always put the Inkoslip with a fabric template in it. Even then, always comes the PVC pants over it, and between diaper and pants I put a thin cloth diaper. Only then is the diaper really safe, and you can wear it much longer, without something leaking. I also always put on a bodice pant, so the diaper is better molded to the body. Of course, I sweat more, and especially now in the summer, but I take that for more security when wearing.

greetings-Windelboy4

Hi!
So, I don't regularily wear diapers, but I prefer cloth when I do, so I've been reading up on it quite a bit. Like you, I also prefer snap closures over others, but pins aren't half bad either. Diaper fabric is usually sturdy enough that it doesn't get damaged with prolonged use, and fabrics like gauze are very loosely woven, so pins just go straight through the gaps in the fibers without breaking them. I don't know if you've ever held a diaper pin in your hands, but they have an extra safety closure. You open and close them like regular safety pins, but there is a cap that goes over the top of the pin so you can't open it by accident. Remember, these are designed with actual babies in mind, so they're not that easy to injure yourself with.
There's also a closure device called a "snappi". It has three grabby thingies arranged in a triangle shape, two to grab both wings of a cloth diaper and the third one for the middle. I haven't yet bought one of these, but they look really cool and easy to use.
Velcro is...well, it's convenient and easy to put on and customize the fit, but it's so loud and doesn't feel very secure.

I think I prefer pocket diapers over all-in-ones. Yes, AIOs are convenient, but the adult variety doesn't look that great usually. I sew my own cloth diapers too, and it's much easier to sew a cover and insert separately rather than try and muddle it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back