Favorite novalty treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So It is suppose to be 100 degrees today and remain this hot foe the next few days.

I was thinking about what to fix for dinner and something cool this evening.
Then a Ice cream truck just went by and I drifted to back when I was "Little".

What is your favorite novelty treat that has also grown up with you.

I remember the ice cream sandwiches from back in the 60's when I was little.

Pasty black cracker/cookie with vanilla ice cream. Back then they where sort of gag it down but it was special.

My favorite version of this today is Blue Bunny Neapolitan Ice cream sandwiches.

Neenish tarts.

Not sure if they are anywhere else other than Australia (not hubris) but these things are crazy sweet and remind me of my childhood. I even introduced these to my own daughters.

In the same vein Woolworths used to have green frog cakes that were a square piece of cake and the super sweet pink mock cream plonked on top in the shape of a frogs mouth then the entire thing was covered in green icing and some eyes were painted on with white and brown icing.

I grew up on the beach, Jersey Shore, and the ice cream truck would come on the beach. When I was a little kid it was so awesome to get an ice cream cone or a rocket at the beach. They also shot off 4th of July fireworks at that same beach.

I used to love root beer as a kid and my grandmother always had some for me. My parents would buy the real "Popsicle" brand popsicles, and back in the '50s and '60s, they made root beer and vanilla Popsicles which I loved.

Any decent variation of the Ice Cream Sandwiches with Cookies top and bottom wins for me, though one of my favorite was from 600 Lb Gorillas (that was the name of the company lol)

Back when I was "a kid" a quarter get me a comic book, a bottle of Mountandaw AND a red licrish whip... Good times. 😻

- - - Updated - - -

Now days just the pop costs six times that🙀 And do NOT get me started on the price of comics since the speculates got into the act.😾

My ice cream man used to bring Milkshake Candy Bars which when chilled, were irresistible. Note the following is before my time but is cute, nonetheless:

[video=youtube;SEG0m8-TJS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEG0m8-TJS4[/video]

ESPF said:
Back when I was "a kid" a quarter get me a comic book, a bottle of Mountandaw AND a red licrish whip... Good times. ��

- - - Updated - - -

Now days just the pop costs six times that�� And do NOT get me started on the price of comics since the speculates got into the act.��

I can remember when - if you found a quarter you could get 5 candy bars and be on a sugar buzz for a week.
for a penny you got a bazooka bubble gum and followed the bazooka joe cartoon.
my favorite candy was "Wall-nettos".
Mc Donald's Hamburgers where 19 cents and if I was a good boy I would get a cheese burger for 24 cents.

I used to get those ones that were ice cream in the shape of a favorite cartoon character that had gumballs for eyes.

Far superior because then you still had gum when the ice cream was all eaten. :3

But I do remember these: http://www.inthe80s.com/food/mickeymouseicecreambars0.shtml

Probably my favorite of the time because I was going to grow up and marry Mickey Mouse. :laugh:

The list would be endless; I'm still that little brat at heart.
Nowadays, Dolly Mixture is a special treat (mainly because it's hard to get hold of at a reasonable price), but an added treat therein is in sharing them with people who think themselves to be vegetarian or vegan. I usually tell them the truth at a later time 😀

CuddleWoozle said:
I used to get those ones that were ice cream in the shape of a favorite cartoon character that had gumballs for eyes.

Far superior because then you still had gum when the ice cream was all eaten. :3

But I do remember these: http://www.inthe80s.com/food/mickeymouseicecreambars0.shtml

Probably my favorite of the time because I was going to grow up and marry Mickey Mouse. :laugh:

I think I can vaguely remember Mickey Mouse popsicles: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7d/4a/f4/7d4af4bd59af085cd1466ffe46592bc8.jpg

Although I've never actually gotten something from an ice-cream truck. I didn't grow up in neighborhoods where they came around. We do have a guy who sells snow cones out of a pickup truck though.

- - - Updated - - -

dogboy said:
I grew up on the beach, Jersey Shore, and the ice cream truck would come on the beach. When I was a little kid it was so awesome to get an ice cream cone or a rocket at the beach. They also shot off 4th of July fireworks at that same beach.

I used to love root beer as a kid and my grandmother always had some for me. My parents would buy the real "Popsicle" brand popsicles, and back in the '50s and '60s, they made root beer and vanilla Popsicles which I loved.

Vanilla Popsicles sound interesting.

In Texas you can get Blue Bonnet Ice Cream at every store. A lot of it is seasonal, the berries or whatnots aren't frozen (until they've been put into the ice cream), the Pecan ones only from late september until december... in the 80s they didn't ship to any other state.

AND... Gelados. That's Spanish for "frozen anything" but mostly sweets. Which in English "sweet" used as a noun is candy... Some of the gelados are really something you'd find in any supermarkets in Texas but probably not in New York or London. There's a cactus, prickly pears, you get the leaves (I guess that's the best word for it) in soups, burritos, marvelous stuff, and the deep red/purple fruits is really sweet, and eating it straight would be instant diabetes. Mixed with milk and frozen... mm mmmm mmmmmmmm

When I was in England the term Supermarket wasn't even a word outside the states... and there was a sweets shoppe right next to the fish & chips shoppe and they had hard core great wonderful licorice whips wound on spools like wire or rope, and they were tuppence a foot. Long ago of course... Progress is a byotch sometimes...

They're so amazingly good. I wish I had one now!

LittleSissieJolie said:
In Texas you can get Blue Bonnet Ice Cream at every store.

I love that ice cream! We used to get it where I live but then there was a health scare a few years ago...

It hasn't been back since.

Since there is so much icy talk I remember loving both Butterscotch ice cream and Rum’n raisin when I was a kid. The rum’n raisin I remember had large raisins and was sold in a plastic barrel.

The term "Ice Cream Novelties" always makes me giggle about sexual acts you can perform with a popsicle.

willnotwill said:
The term "Ice Cream Novelties" always makes me giggle about sexual acts you can perform with a popsicle.

Oh noooooes. XD

Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants.

Oh, definitely ice cream sandwiches. Especially Neapolitan ones.

RaccoonHussar said:
Oh, definitely ice cream sandwiches. Especially Neapolitan ones.

You mean Napoleon, obviously. *giggles*

When I was small, I couldn't say 'neopolitan', I said 'Napoleon', like the French leader. *shrug* I suppose I just figured as a kid that Napoleon couldn't decide what flavor he liked and so he got all three.

CuddleWoozle said:
Oh noooooes. XD

Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants.

Sooooo......I'm guessing this is where the expression, "ants in your pants" comes from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back