Thinking of trying cloth any thoughts

Pongoandperdi15

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hi all just wondered what people's experience was with cloth nappies.

Currently as it stands I get my day time nappies on the NHS so I don't need to replace those with cloth however I have to buy my own larger capacity disposables for the night time so I was thinking of trying cloth.

I’ve just started using cloth at night - I got a batch of Ecoables and I’ve been very impressed so far. I was skeptical. But they work great. No leaks. They are the pocket style instead of pin on or all in one. Very nice and actually quite comfortable :)

I wear my cloth fulltime days are Angelfluff contours nite are super heavyweight night cloth prefold.
I only wear disposable when going out where it's easier to carry a dry diaper bag and throw them out than carry a wet diaper bag also.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I found that in order for cloth to be more effective than disposables they need to be about twice as thick. As long as you don't mind the thickness, then they work absolutely great! Well, that and you have to be prepared for a LOT of heavy and stinky laundry. The kind you will NOT be able to hide. And like every 2-3 days you will need to do the laundry too! Unfortunately I also sleep on my side, so that added thickness was making my hips hurt really bad. I had to give it up in favor of Betterdry (which is the ONLY disposable diaper I have found that works without leaking on me overnight).

I am also a cloth diaper (and water-proof pants) user for bed-wetting. I prefer cloth to disposables unless I am away from home with no place to do laundry. I just need to make sure I have enough thickness to properly absorb the amount I wet; I use varying multiple layers to get the absorbancy I need. To me, cloth feels better and I am more comfortable in them.

I have cloth that admittedly I don’t use often as I reserve them for back up diapers when running low on stock. I tend to only wear them around the house because they are super thick and ofcourse you can adjust the thickness with the padding inserts. To me though they work really well I have not once leaked.

Hmm it's a lot to think about, I was away on holiday last week and was talking to the wife about moving abroad and I think if we did then cloth might be the only way to go as incontinence pads are expensive and I don't expect the NHS to look after me out there.

So think I might start with night time and work my way on from there! Thanks for all the advice

Around the house, or out shopping, I only use Cloth and plastic panties... I only wear disposables at work where it makes it easier to change. (Working in the medical field no one bats an eye at another used disposable in the trash. (Disposables make it much less obvious under my scrubs.)
But all things being equal I'd rather use cotton.

Cotton/plastic/pins all the way. Minimal leaking at night if ever. Very comfortable and about as babyish a you can get.

My first real solid diaper was a Babyland cloth pocket diaper. The second was an Ecoable, also a pocket diaper. Both of them are solid diapers, diapers that wear comfortably and perform well. The Ecoables especially fit nicely, hugging to my contours and almost fitting in the way that one would expect a scaled up baby diaper would (I love the fit around the legs).

As far as these go, they both work very well with just one insert in the diaper. Two can fit, which results in a bit of a waddle, but two also makes for quite a bit of absorbency. If you went for bamboo soakers, the absorbency is especially notable, I've noticed.

Cloth diapers (and the stuffer pads for them) will take a few washes before they're really ready to use. Fabric softener is a no-go, as this will make them repel instead of absorb.

i use pin on cloth and plastic pants exclusively at night and a disposable during the day. nothing beats the cloth for night time at least for me. results may vary.

I'd second Ecoables - I've got some from them, and they are really good. Slightly more bulky than a moderately thick disposable though, so not 100% discreet.

I have been 24/7 for a couple of years now and I wear cloth almost all the time, unless I am going to be away from home for a few days. I wear a 36" square diaper, folded in half. At night I either double up or add a 14" x 16" pre-fold for more absorbency. I use plastic pants and a onesie and hardly ever have any leaks.

I like cloth diapers more than disposable diapers but have never worn them during the day while I’m in public. The reason is because my cloth diapers are much thicker than my disposables.

For everyone who wear cloth diapers during the day, how do you deal with the increased thickness of the cloth diaper under your clothes? If I were to wear my cloth diapers during the day in public, everyone would notice that my bum has dramatically increased in size.

I wear cloth diapers only. I found them to be comfortable, disposables are expensive and the tapes are difficult to reposition. Cloth diapers are initially expensive and they need to be washed but are cheaper in the long run. Getting rid of used disposables can be problematic, and they fill the landfills with plastic waste.

alwayz said:
I wear cloth diapers only. I found them to be comfortable, disposables are expensive and the tapes are difficult to reposition. Cloth diapers are initially expensive and they need to be washed but are cheaper in the long run. Getting rid of used disposables can be problematic, and they fill the landfills with plastic waste.

What brand/type/style of cloth diapers do you use?

alwayz said:

But isn't exactly where you WOULD want them to end up? Plastic is made from oil (carbon), so you DO want to make sure it gets sequestered back into the ground, right? Better than having it in the air at least.

Slomo said:
But isn't exactly where you WOULD want them to end up?

I’m afraid not.

Slomo said:
Plastic is made from oil (carbon), so you DO want to make sure it gets sequestered back into the ground, right? Better than having it in the air at least.

It’s true that (most) plastics are made from oil and contain carbon. But having plastic waste in the soil or anywhere else isn’t really the way to counter carbon dioxide emissions. Plastic doesn’t break down but eventually falls apart into little bits and pieces that can go and cause problems for a long time afterwards, like ending up in the food chain.

A better solution is to recycle the plastic. But plastic used in disposable diapers is very hard to recycle. I don’t even know if it is possible at all.

That’s why waterproofed disposable diapers (both plastic backed or cotton feel) are about the worst idea ever, especially because they don’t offer any advantage, apart from being a tiny little bit easier to handle than disposables without plastic (*if* they would be available) + separate plastic pants.

Is there a really fluffy cloth diaper that looks cute when paired with a colorful pair of plastic pants?

- - - Updated - - -

I like the way that sounds! Cotton, plastic,pins!

You're going to have to wash them a lot, but they can be
comfortable with the right amount of thickness.
Some have snaps, others you fold and pin. As Slomo said,
they need more thickness to be more effective.
So you may have a bit of trouble balancing comfort with absorbency. :thumbsup:

Back