Best cost effective options? Also Tips for University?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldchateau

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Currently for adult diapers I'm covered by my parents since I'm living at home. But that's about to change come next month when I move to University.

Right now I wear M4's and Tena Classic Plus. I was wondering what would you guys think is the most cost effective option for someone who has full bladder incontinence? I live in Canada and usually my parents order my diapers through healthwick.ca. I was also wondering if that was my best bet or if there are any better alternatives in Canada for incontinence.

Another question I have is how do I break it to my roommates? I'll be sharing a room with one guy and a general living space with 2 others.

Also looking for tips on how to be as courteous as possible when it comes to my incontinence.

And any tips in general are welcome too!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Well, idk about Canada, but in The United States it sounds as if what "the system" gives you is really bad quality, so if you want (or need) better, it will come at the expense of your own money.

That being said I've had M4s before and they aren't bad, but there is also much better out there and you need to Asses what you need and is it worth extra money.

As far as room-mates, I think they will be accepting if they realize you need the diapers, usually needing diapers goes a long way towards the acceptance of others.

Why can't your parents send you diapers?

Many schools student health services provide them ,and if you notify the school of your condition they will put you in a suite with a bathroom and your roomate will be a fellow user be it bed wetting or all the time wearing.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Scaramouche said:
Why can't your parents send you diapers?
I'm not living anywhere near my home city in University. Also they said once I'm in Uni I'm financially on my own. Luckily I was able to get a full scholarship and residence covered.

oldchateau said:
I'm not living anywhere near my home city in University. Also they said once I'm in Uni I'm financially on my own. Luckily I was able to get a full scholarship and residence covered.

Ah, ok.

oldchateau said:
Currently for adult diapers I'm covered by my parents since I'm living at home. But that's about to change come next month when I move to University.

Right now I wear M4's and Tena Classic Plus. I was wondering what would you guys think is the most cost effective option for someone who has full bladder incontinence? I live in Canada and usually my parents order my diapers through healthwick.ca. I was also wondering if that was my best bet or if there are any better alternatives in Canada for incontinence.

Another question I have is how do I break it to my roommates? I'll be sharing a room with one guy and a general living space with 2 others.

Also looking for tips on how to be as courteous as possible when it comes to my incontinence.

M4's are like $30 a pack, perhaps cheaper if you buy in bulk. There are 14 in a pack, so that's less than 1 week of use per pack. They are quite good all-round diapers, I can't think of anything that is much more reliable, for the same sort of cost. I'm in Canada, but I'm not IC, so I don't have the pressure of finding week-in week-out supplies of reliable diapers. I suppose that you might try a Tena Stretch, which is pretty absorbent, and retails at $35 for 28. That's a slight saving?

You're gonna have to find somewhere to store these bad-boys, plus somewhere to dispose of them regularly, so coming clean with your roommates is advisable, fairly early on. Maybe go for a drink with them, and then tell them once they've loosened up a bit? (drinking age is lower outside the US.....) Most people are pretty understanding when it's a medical issue. Not sure exactly how you should go about it though.

oldchateau said:

I KNOW it is more cost effective to stop paying double for the outer shell, tapes, elastics, etc by using lesser diapers and change twice as often. If you buy a diaper that literally lasts twice as long yet cost less than twice as much, then you will save money overall. I am fully urinary incontinent and use Crinklz (though Betterdry costs less as well). At about $1.55 each I spend just $3.10 per day. That's cheaper than using ANY brand of Depends when you look at it as a price-per-day! And as a bonus I only need to change twice per day, while using a diaper I can fully trust will not leak. Now that's a bargain!

I'm a student in the UK and suffer from full urinary incontinence. I've found it to be ok and my flatmates have been very accepting of me using nappies. Luckily I don't have to share an actual room with anyone but I share a flat with 6 others. I didn't try to hide it from them as it's pretty obvious I wouldn't be able too. Luckily in the UK I have nappies provided by the NHS so I don't have to worry about paying for them either.

I’m also in Canada, and I have been buying my diapers exclusively from Healthwick for several years. I think that it’s one of the best places to get diapers in this country.
I’ve been in a diaper 24/7 for many years and have found that wearing a relatively expensive, high-capacity diaper such as ConfiDry 24/7 or BetterDry is more cost effective than buying less expensive diapers. The cheap diaper have a low capacity so that you have to wear more of them. For that reason, using them is more expensive than using a top-of-the-line product.
You should definitely tell the university about your medical problem. The dormitory administrators can and almost certainly will assign you to room with another person with a medical issue comparable to yours; and that will make your life easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back