Car seat fits adults- a trial on Britax "original" frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

condmat

Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Hello everyone,

recently I bought an used Britax "original" frontier manufactured in 2008, and I found it fitting me perfectly. My height is 5.75 feet and my weight is 155 lbs. There are many slots on the back of the seat, and my method is actually not allowed in the manual. However, it's still very comfortable when sitting in it. First, uninstall the shoulder harnesses; then, adjust the car seat to the booster mode and let all adjustable seating position to their highest positions. Finally, install the harness through the slots on the heat restraint, note that those slots is higher than any slot on the plastic cover in the back of the seat. (Manual doesn't allow this type of installing method)

I've tried 2 models of frontier. One is frontier 85, and the other one is the original frontier. There is one fact which surprised me a lot that the original frontier fit me more comfortably than frontier 85. The reason is that the strap controlling the tightness of the harness is longer in the original frontier, which makes more spaces in the seat, one can also make it very tight though. Another reason is that the highest slots on the head restraint is surprisingly higher then frontier 85, which also makes more room to the shoulder. The crotch buckle position are the same, and the harness of the original frontier is softer than in frontier 85, which is a little bit rough. My rating of both of them is that the original one is better than frontier 85.

By the way, is there anyone having once sat in Britax frontier 90 or frontier clicktight? I'm wondering if they fit adults well or not?

I don't recommend the frontier 90. I am 5'6'' 140 lbs and could not sit in the frontier 90 at all. I had to slouch really bad just to have my head fit it the head rest, and I couldn't get the straps to close. Might be a great product for kids, but not so much for our community.

condmat said:
Hello everyone,

recently I bought an used Britax "original" frontier manufactured in 2008, and I found it fitting me perfectly. My height is 5.75 feet and my weight is 155 lbs. There are many slots on the back of the seat, and my method is actually not allowed in the manual. However, it's still very comfortable when sitting in it. First, uninstall the shoulder harnesses; then, adjust the car seat to the booster mode and let all adjustable seating position to their highest positions. Finally, install the harness through the slots on the heat restraint, note that those slots is higher than any slot on the plastic cover in the back of the seat. (Manual doesn't allow this type of installing method)

I've tried 2 models of frontier. One is frontier 85, and the other one is the original frontier. There is one fact which surprised me a lot that the original frontier fit me more comfortably than frontier 85. The reason is that the strap controlling the tightness of the harness is longer in the original frontier, which makes more spaces in the seat, one can also make it very tight though. Another reason is that the highest slots on the head restraint is surprisingly higher then frontier 85, which also makes more room to the shoulder. The crotch buckle position are the same, and the harness of the original frontier is softer than in frontier 85, which is a little bit rough. My rating of both of them is that the original one is better than frontier 85.

By the way, is there anyone having once sat in Britax frontier 90 or frontier clicktight? I'm wondering if they fit adults well or not?

OK then. If it works for you great, but looking at your profile I see the first thing that you are interested in is, "PHYSICS". Just envisioning this, you are using a product that is intended to keep some one less than half your weight and height safe in an auto accident. That specifically says, "don't use it like this".

I don't know. If you really want to throw caution to the wind, have at it. But what if you really were to get into an accident? How well do you think that this could really restrain you?

littlemoosey said:
OK then. If it works for you great, but looking at your profile I see the first thing that you are interested in is, "PHYSICS". Just envisioning this, you are using a product that is intended to keep some one less than half your weight and height safe in an auto accident. That specifically says, "don't use it like this".

I don't know. If you really want to throw caution to the wind, have at it. But what if you really were to get into an accident? How well do you think that this could really restrain you?
Agreed, be smart. Here you go. https://www.ezonpro.com/our-products/conversion-vests/item-86y-car-cam/

There's a crotch strap accessory and a crotch strap extender accessory, if you want. It doesn't come standard on the 86Y.

littlemoosey said:

I just use those car seats at home. Just a warning, not to use on real roads. Some people may want to sit in a car seat, just sit in, not going outside of the house. If someone wants to take a ride outside with a car seat, then a special car seat such as Columbia 2500 or tomato mps is needed. Those special car seats are extremely much more expensive than what I mentioned before. If you have enough budget, you surely can buy those special car seats and enjoy it on roads. I only have little money, so I can't afford any one of those special car seats.

condmat said:
I just use those car seats at home. Just a warning, not to use on real roads. Some people may want to sit in a car seat, just sit in, not going outside of the house. If someone wants to take a ride outside with a car seat, then a special car seat such as Columbia 2500 or tomato mps is needed. Those special car seats are extremely much more expensive than what I mentioned before. If you have enough budget, you surely can buy those special car seats and enjoy it on roads. I only have little money, so I can't afford any one of those special car seats.

I'm disabled myself, and I was super worried you'd hurt yourself, so, in my head, I was like, "Oh, no! Little bABy hurt! No, no, no! Safe. Nice and safe! Oh gosh!"

Being disabled, I knew exactly where to go. Funny thing is, being disabled does funny things to this peculiarity of ours, doesn't it?

As much as my body might like sitting in a Y86, especially with the crotch strap, and the extender for it, to keep me from having so much extensor tone, from my hips, all the way to my toes, as it can be hard to have to fight with my own body to keep my butt in my seat, and it'd be nice not to have to, I'm pretty sure my disabled, fiercely independent, self would be all, "Oh my gosh! Have you lost your mind? You can't even use a seatbelt now?! What's wrong with you?!"

I'm afraid, even if I did find it fun, on a Little bABy level, I could never really, because cerebral palsy is such a good mmoderation system for this thing of ours.

Last edited:
I have the Columbia Spirit 2400 APS (Now Inspired by Drive) and it easily fits me with no modifications at 210 pounds and 6'2".

I did buy the Merrit chest clip lock that works fantastic. It cannot be open without the key...I've tried to use a fingernail and it won't budge. The buckle gaurd is not that efficient as an adult can get their thumb in from below and open it.

I've been lucky enough to use the seat on several trips across Thailand. Most recently, just returned today from a 12 hour journey from Koh Samui to Bangkok. Because the seat is so large, you do need a larger van or SUV. The commuter vans common in Thailand are perfect for it. When it is properly secured using the two tethers, it's extremely secure and very comfortable. So far, the reaction from the drivers I've hired has been very positive.. all have tried to install it for me before departing, but most have never even seen real baby seats so they get a little confused and I have to assist.

I did have a unique experience two weeks ago on a 14 hour drive to Pukhet where we got stopped at one of the standard police road checkpoints. The police opened the passenger compartment and asked the driver about me....they didn't seem to care that I was in the seat, just wanted to check passports. Nonetheless, my heart was beating the entire time while the driver talked and a second officer filmed the entire encounter. Now, everytime we come across one...I get nervous.

pacibear said:
I have the Columbia Spirit 2400 APS (Now Inspired by Drive) and it easily fits me with no modifications at 210 pounds and 6'2".

I did buy the Merrit chest clip lock that works fantastic. It cannot be open without the key...I've tried to use a fingernail and it won't budge. The buckle gaurd is not that efficient as an adult can get their thumb in from below and open it.

I've been lucky enough to use the seat on several trips across Thailand. Most recently, just returned today from a 12 hour journey from Koh Samui to Bangkok. Because the seat is so large, you do need a larger van or SUV. The commuter vans common in Thailand are perfect for it. When it is properly secured using the two tethers, it's extremely secure and very comfortable. So far, the reaction from the drivers I've hired has been very positive.. all have tried to install it for me before departing, but most have never even seen real baby seats so they get a little confused and I have to assist.

I did have a unique experience two weeks ago on a 14 hour drive to Pukhet where we got stopped at one of the standard police road checkpoints. The police opened the passenger compartment and asked the driver about me....they didn't seem to care that I was in the seat, just wanted to check passports. Nonetheless, my heart was beating the entire time while the driver talked and a second officer filmed the entire encounter. Now, everytime we come across one...I get nervous.

Wow! This sounds really awesome and intersting trip and you are a brave burr! :eek: I´d like to look something like this in the future :3

pacibear said:

Wow, so you carried the seat with you and flied across countries? You're amazing. By the way, where did you buy the seat?

pacibear said:

Wow! Cool trip! You must be very brave. But it must also been very comfy. Did you sleep in you car seat? :3
And thanks for sizing info. Theres still hope I can fit nicely to a car seat but fuuukkk these special need car seats are so expensive :( I have planned that when I move on my own I will buy a Diono Monterey (XT) booster seat from Amazon and modify 5-point harness to it. Baby car seats locks from ebay, some webbing from fabric store and bolt them to seat. Maybe extend the car seat itself somehow a bit.
I don't know will this plan work but I will give a try because Diono Monterey is the biggest (non-special need) booster seat in USA (usa car seats are much bigger that eu seats!) and costs only 99€ from Amazon and ships to EU too :)

And of course I will not use that modded seat in a moving car and so on. It will just be a comfy computer chair XD

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: Pacibear, if you have spare time, it would be very nice if you would take some pics of the seat with a tape measure showing. https://us.diono.com/product/monterey-xt-booster/ <- Measurements of monterey xt, some similar measurements would be very nice.

I purchased a travel bag for it. It was difficult initially as I had to go through at least 8 different bags before I found one that would fit a seat that large. So far I have carried it into and out of Thailand, China, the U.K., and then back into the U.S.. Although I have had to have the bags scanned at different immigration points, nothing has so far been said about it. The only problem I have found at least in Asia is that it is considered oversized and needs to be dropped at a special collection area while checking in for a flight.

condmat said:
Hello everyone,

I am 5 7 so I doubt a car seat would fit me. I would be too tall. If your ears sticks above the head rest, you are too big.

Calico said:
I am 5 7 so I doubt a car seat would fit me. I would be too tall. If your ears sticks above the head rest, you are too big.

Definitely not too big for Britax frontier 85 or its older model. If still can't fit into the seat, remove the seat belt guide at the two sides of the headrest. It has a screw to be removed.

Does anyone know of any similar car seats in the UK, can’t seem to find the frontier 85 listed for sale here.

philly123 said:
Does anyone know of any similar car seats in the UK, can’t seem to find the frontier 85 listed for sale here.
Britax Frontier is an USA model so you will not find them from UK and Frontier 85 is old model - Frontier 90 is newer and Frontier G1.1 is the current model. EU/UK 5-point car seats are much smaller than USA car seats. I haven't found any big harnessed car seat like Britax Frontier for sale at EU. So if you want a car seat, try to find a Frontier from ebay which ships to UK (hard, risky and expensive) or buy a booster seat and modify harnesses to it.

If you are going to modify an booster seat, Diono Monterey is the biggest one in UK and USA as far as I know and it's sold to both via Amazon. It's suitable for children up to 160cm tall and should be wide enough too. You can buy the locks for harness and chest clip from ebay for under 10€ and then bolt them to it...
Monterey size: https://us.diono.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/montereyXT_dimension_chart_062717.png?x43623
Review with size info: http://www.madeformums.com/reviews/car-seats/car-seats-from-4-years/-diono-monterey-2/1597.html
Locks (for example): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Baby-S...m=123147343889&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109
Chest clip (for example): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baby-Safet...621686&hash=item1a5948b0f4:g:3SQAAOSwPRxbNI2Y

And of course don't use especially an modified one in a moving car.

leijulaakso said:
Britax Frontier is an USA model so you will not find them from UK and Frontier 85 is old model - Frontier 90 is newer and Frontier G1.1 is the current model. EU/UK 5-point car seats are much smaller than USA car seats. I haven't found any big harnessed car seat like Britax Frontier for sale at EU. So if you want a car seat, try to find a Frontier from ebay which ships to UK (hard, risky and expensive) or buy a booster seat and modify harnesses to it.

If you are going to modify an booster seat, Diono Monterey is the biggest one in UK and USA as far as I know and it's sold to both via Amazon. It's suitable for children up to 160cm tall and should be wide enough too. You can buy the locks for harness and chest clip from ebay for under 10€ and then bolt them to it...
Monterey size: https://us.diono.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/montereyXT_dimension_chart_062717.png?x43623
Review with size info: http://www.madeformums.com/reviews/car-seats/car-seats-from-4-years/-diono-monterey-2/1597.html
Locks (for example): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Baby-S...m=123147343889&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109
Chest clip (for example): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baby-Safet...621686&hash=item1a5948b0f4:g:3SQAAOSwPRxbNI2Y

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I've never noticed this model before. Have you ever made use of it? How does the modified harness fit? Would the harness be too wide for one's shoulder and then one could easily escape from it? It seems that there are no holes on the back of the seat shell so you have to route the harness straps beside the central seat shell (i.e., adjustable headrest).

leijulaakso said:

Hi, thank you for the reply :)
That’s a shame about the frontier, that will explain why I can’t find them over here.
The booster modification sounds interesting though, could be a project for me to have a go at! I’m around 175cm, but it says back height 32.5” so I think i would be ok.

I did just think I have seen harnesses for cars like this one https://www.crelling.com/model-28-steel.html#ad-image-0
I wonder if that would work with the booster seat? It also says it can be used in conjunction with the car seat belt, so I wonder if legally the booster/harnes combination would be ok then?

philly123 said:
I did just think I have seen harnesses for cars like this one https://www.crelling.com/model-28-steel.html#ad-image-0
I wonder if that would work with the booster seat?
Good idea! Harness like this should work pretty nicely, they are meant to use with booster seats too as you can read from the page. And thanks for the tip, I didn't know that there exists 5-point harnesses like this for adults! All harnesses for adults I have seen before are those elaynes special kid harnesses etc. which are walking harness style, not car seat 5-point harness style.
I don't know anything about legality of adults traveling in a car seat but you should use your cars seat belt too even if you use the harness because these harnesses are not certified safety products.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: I read the PDF of using the harness with a booster and if it works with a britax like that they use as example, it should work with monterey too. Of course you can ask and verify it from seller of these harnesses but I can't find out any reason why it couldn't work.

I would love to use a car seat, but I live alone and drive everywhere myself, so I’d never get to use it. I’m quite fortunate to be 4’11” and 95 lbs so I could probably get away with using a standard car seat for an older child, since I guess they’re supposed to use one until they reach 4’9”. If my parents followed that rule, I’d have been in a booster seat til high school. I really wish there were adult sized rear facing baby seats. I don’t even know if they would fit in a car, but they’d be super fun. I loved my car seat when I was a kid.

Wuggle said:
I would love to use a car seat, but I live alone and drive everywhere myself, so I’d never get to use it. I’m quite fortunate to be 4’11” and 95 lbs so I could probably get away with using a standard car seat for an older child, since I guess they’re supposed to use one until they reach 4’9”. If my parents followed that rule, I’d have been in a booster seat til high school. I really wish there were adult sized rear facing baby seats. I don’t even know if they would fit in a car, but they’d be super fun. I loved my car seat when I was a kid.
You are a little bit too tall and heavy to "legally" use Frontier G1.1 in harnessed mode (I guess you will still fit nicely) but you are in booster mode weight and height range :)

https://us.britax.com/frontier-clicktight-booster-seats/
Child Weight - Forward Facing Harness 2 years and 25, up to 90 lbs
Child Weight - Booster 40 - 120 lbs
Child Standing Height - Forward Facing Harness 30 - 58"
Child Standing Height - Booster 45 - 62"

Child Seated Shoulder Height - Forward Facing Harness 12.5 - 20.5"
Child Seated Shoulder Height - Booster 15 - 23"
Product Weight 25 lbs
Product Dimensions - Harness Minimum 19" W x 28" H x 21" D
Product Dimensions - Harness Maximum 19" W x 36" H x 21" D
Product Dimensions - Booster Minimum 19" W x 28" H x 21" D
Product Dimensions - Booster Maximum 19" W x 36" H x 21" D
Seating Compartment Height 23.5"
Seat Area Depth / Width 13.5" / 12"
Shoulder Width 15.5"
Harness Slot Heights 12.5" / 13.5" / 14.5" / 15.5" / 16.5" / 17.5" / 18.5" / 19.5" / 20.5"
Buckle Strap Depths 7.0" / 9.0"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back