Is it the powder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gcv216

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I wear pull ups 24/7 due to some incont. issues. This past summer (which has been a hot one) I came down with my first diaper rash. The rash cleared up after I started using a diaper rash cream and baby powder. Now I am just using baby powder because of the sweating during this summer heat, but I am getting raw and sore skin (almost like chaffing) between my thigh and groin. Does anyone think this could be from the courseness of the baby powder? By the way the diaper rash was in a different area.

Probably not due to the coarseness of baby powder. But you might want to try a smoother powder and use more of it. Also change more frequently to prevent the chafing.

Thanks for the reply. What would you suggest for a smoother powder than Johnson’s baby powder

Hi Gary,
Johnson's now produce a powder made from corn starch rather than talc that is both safer and finer and also comes in various scents. I don't know how long you wear a wet pull up for, but the best thing you can do is to change as soon as possible. Urine is sterile when you first pass it, but on contact with the air it starts to break down and one of the compounds is ammonia which is what causes the nappy rash. Don't use cream and powder together, it can form very hard gritty particles that will shred your delicate skin. Also make sure you apply cream to the perineum (the area between your scrotum and your anus and you may also want to consider putting cream around your anus aswell as if you are sitting for a while in wet nappies or pulll ups the urine will wick into the lower parts of the pull up.

Carry a small holdall or backpack with you that contains the following items. Fresh pull ups (always add an extra one or two more than you think you will need). Wet wipes, it's important you clean your groin area properly at each change. Ziplock bags in case you can't throw the used pull up away. Nappy rash cream and powder possibly a spare pair of trousers and if you use them a spare pair of waterproof pants (or 2).

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply pcbaby. Most of the issue and moisture comes from excessive sweat during the summer. I have used cream and powder together. Now I realize that was a mistake.

this may sound crazy but when you are going out and be out for a while i would step up a notch or so with your pull up not sure who you use to get your pull ups i use www.northshorecare.com and they have a very wide range of pull ups diapers and pads i would give them a yell and they can set you up with some samples and the best part is they will ship right to your house in boxes that nobody will be the wiser hope this helps

Using powder for sweat issues can also have the same effect, basically anything that can wet the powder but not enough to wash it away, can cause a granule effect.

Thanks for all the replies

Gcv216 said:
Thanks for the reply. What would you suggest for a smoother powder than Johnson’s baby powder

I think the J&J talc is smoother than their corn starch powder, although in the summer I use the corn starch powder most of the time. Most of my experience has been with cloth diapers, but I try to change several times a day and keep as dry as I can.

I have found the best way to deal with chafing, of any sort, is with Body Glide. It's an anti-chafing 'balm' made for runners. It comes in a couple various sticks (look like deodorant) and a cream (comes in a tube like lotion). I've only used the sticks (because I've only recently learned about it from my sister who uses the stuff when she wears dresses and skirts to prevent her thighs from chafing), and find it a little difficult to apply nicely to the loose skin of my inner thigh, but I don't have any problems with chafing when I wear it. And, when I forget to put some on before I leave the house, so my thighs are raw by the time I get home from work, and still sore and hating the feel of even my pajama pants against them, putting some on before I leave the house in the morning fixes the issue entirely. I've thought about getting the cream but I think the sticks are cheaper. I'll reconsider when I run out of the stick I have now. I bought mine on Amazon. She buys hers from REI or Dick's Sporting Goods.

What about baby oil? Or will it just soak in and not help with the chafing?

I admit, I have some, but I've never tried using it as a 'lubricant' for chafing. :laugh: I just use it whenever my skin gets super dry and itchy.

I think if I had that much trouble with chafing I would end up just rolling in a large tub full of Crisco and then using it to slide through the kitchen. "I'M A SNAAAAAAAAIL!"

I've only ever really used cornstarch baby powders. I don't feel a difference when I've handled talcum powder though.

Baby oil is a moisturiser. Putting it on your skin will transfer some of it to your nappy, which will make the nappy less absorbent and more prone to leaks

slightly off topic but wasn't it Johnson's who were successfully sued by that woman for giving her cancer in her nether regions from using their talc?

there are several multi-million lawsuits pending in the US at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back