Diapered doctors visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonnie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Went to establish a new doctor due to change in jobs and health insurance, I arrived 1/2 hour ahead of scheduled appointment time as required to fill out medical history, I mark frequent urination and incontinence on the form.
When asked about it by doctor , I inform him it’s due to a back injury from back in 1987, he offers suggestions of new procedures and treatments. When I decline his offers he is a bit befuddled, I tell him I’ve been dealing with for over 30 years now and another 20 years won’t make any difference.

You make sence to me

Doctors tend to have a strong drive to 'fix problems', and can have difficulty understanding why a patent would not want a problem solved that they think they can fix. But that's a good thing that they're pointing out that there may be a solution for you, in cases where you might have either given up or simply never realized it was possible to fix. (or that it even WAS considered a "problem")

Best thing then you can hope for is for them to accept your response and not get pushy.

bambinod said:
Doctors tend to have a strong drive to 'fix problems', and can have difficulty understanding why a patent would not want a problem solved that they think they can fix. But that's a good thing that they're pointing out that there may be a solution for you, in cases where you might have either given up or simply never realized it was possible to fix. (or that it even WAS considered a "problem")

Best thing then you can hope for is for them to accept your response and not get pushy.

Doctor did his best to try and convince me to try and fix the problem, I just told him I only have another 18 to 20 years to live and don’t plan on paying for a procedure that may or not fix the problem.

Trust me it takes a special kind of Urologist ,to not focus in on on "potential fix" hard sell job .
Part and parcel of medical school is drinking the kool aid and a reliance on the (to there thinking) modern medicine or pharmacology can cure everything. I fortunantly have had a vey old school common sense guy who doesn't feel the need to grab a prescription pad or scalpel and carve up a "fix" for what aills you .
And honestly at this point I am gratefull I have found a good team of doctors who can all agree ,no matter how sure they are of medication or surgery successfull outcome for any given problem ,I am not that patient .they can agree to leave well enough alone when it comes to me , i have had my life jeopardized too many times by some new "wonder drug" ( i wonder how I fell for the "try this candy it's good") I no longer take drugs as off 20 years ago that are patented, been burned to many times , like when "statins" came out ,and having a rare life threatening side effect and all the doctors wondering how did this happen and why,well the truth was it was only a rare side effect because the drugs were so damn new ,nowadays it common to watch out for and teach patients to watch for signs of this and if they start to happen stop taking it and call for help ,anyway I have a few million reasons why I am a bad case to try new things with because even old school drugs have proven problematic because i am so awfully rare in this disease they don't know that it's going to threaten my life because with only 202 people on earth having ever had this it very well could be they have never had a patient with it alive to find out it cant be taken by a person with this disease . I know your probably going to laugh at this , it is still used in certain medical situations as an anesthetic which is how I found out I am allergic to cocaine, imagine what a shock such a highly abused drug that has literaly been taken by billions of people can be fatal to me.
Urologist's frequently associate diapers with them being a failure of them personaly or modern medicine .it can be a challenge sometimes for people to rein in the urologist from trying such and such drug or new procedure and understand many of us are just fine with diapers ,it's not a personal or medical failure .
Continence has nothing to do with quality of life once you find out there are better diapers than Depend .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I am so glad my urologist was totally okay with diapers. He did offer me vesicare, and I am trying it. He said if it didn't work, or had bad side effects, we could try something else but he generally only tries three medications. He explained surgical options, and ruled out anything more serious than the endometriosis that has always been used to explain my OAB, but when I told him I wasn't interested in expensive surgeries that may or may not work, he said "If at some point you change your mind, we can discuss it again."

Trying medications is certainly an option but possibly struggling with side effects is another or getting surgery that is not guaranteed and may be cost prohibitive is another honest factor. If wearing diapers manages the situation to your liking, that matches my thinking when I was in college. The meds gave me more side problems then just dealing with the nighttime issue of wetting which was only about 8 - 10 hours in a day. Taking the meds was a 24 / 7 ordeal and was not 100% effective. The college doctor understood my situation and said that college stress was a main factor for a lot of the bed wetting students he saw (plus their history). His final note to me was if wearing diapers / plastic underpants were better to me than other options, then stick with it; just come back if I ever wanted to explore other possibilities.

Yup, I've had many urologists try and convince me that being in a diaper itself was something which needed to be fixed. Like tetra said, it takes a special type of urologist who can look past that and focus on any real urinary problems at hand. That, and to also not believe pills can magically fix all problems too....

i did try many of the cath ideas and one kind of inema thing to stay clean and dry only to end up sick and on more anti b's than i ever wanted to also accidents from number 2 only to go back to diapers after trying many different ones to find a diaper i felt safe with and one other one to feel safe in when number 1 would be out of stock i would fall back on number 2 for a month till number 1 was back in stock

my New urologist wanted to try some meds but was ok with my choice of wearing diapers to manage my OAB he said any time I get tired of using diapers to manage my inontinence to let him know and we will try some meds. Diapers are working and I really do not want to use meds so I guess I will still be in diapers for my next checkup to see what my blader is upto internally

I think if I became urinary IC I'd just stick with diapers, but for OAB I'd be more inclined to try options, simply because of the greatly increased hassle of regularly messy diapers.

bambinod said:
I think if I became urinary IC I'd just stick with diapers, but for OAB I'd be more inclined to try options, simply because of the greatly increased hassle of regularly messy diapers.

I tried a few different meds and the side affects where far worst than the problem of OAB/ Hyperactive bladder.

bambinod said:

By OAB (which normal means Overactive Bladder) do you mean fecal incontinent? Just trying to understand your train of thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joelvc said:
By OAB (which normal means Overactive Bladder) do you mean fecal incontinent? Just trying to understand your train of thoughts.

oh, Bladder, I thought you were referring to OverActive Bowels. I see "OAB" referred to a lot with relation to Crohn's disease, maybe I've been mis-interpreting that all along?

bambinod said:
oh, Bladder, I thought you were referring to OverActive Bowels. I see "OAB" referred to a lot with relation to Crohn's disease, maybe I've been mis-interpreting that all along?

Thanks Bambinod. I have OAB so it attracted my attention! From what I can find in Google, what you means is also called IBS (Irritable Bowels Syndrome) or OBM (Overactive Bowels Movements)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joelvc said:
Thanks Bambinod. I have OAB so it attracted my attention! From what I can find in Google, what you means is also called IBS (Irritable Bowels Syndrome) or OBM (Overactive Bowels Movements)

there we go, IBS, that's probably what was confusing me. Too many acronyms!

Well I wasn´t there so I don´t know what type of doctor he is.
But from my own experiences I can tell it´s a quite normal and logic thing that a doctor tries to fix things. I mean - it´s his job. Of course it matters how he approaches this but like others said before me - there are 2 types of docs.
One will accept things once he knows the full story and what has been already done, maybe know a few more tricks how to fix but will accept your way of dealing with the incontinence for now - especially when there are no problematic things like bad skin condition or residual urine.
The other one is dogmatic about catheterizing the hell out of everything, regardless of actual medical need to do so. Interestingly enough the doctors office is often filled with items that have the branding of a catheter selling company. But those are pure coincidences I guess...

But like said - I wasn´t there. Maybe he really just wanted to help. Give that dude a chance or at least time to understand. Maybe he can simply not grasp that you are at peace with things and have accepted the way it is, moving on with life.

Cheers

Your head would explode if kept it all in there there are hundreds of thousands of things in different specialties of medicine , that use the same letters and mean totaly different thinks, i was in medicine so I know to say things like hypertension instead of high BP ,because it could be blood pressure , bipolar , borderline personality ,benign prostate ,and there can be regional differences as to where and who you learned from as a proffessor there are many "local slangs" to cover the actual meaning so patients dont freak out ,so something like ARF Acute Renal Failure becomes "Benji is visiting" it's never good when working a patient up for them to hear failure in regards to any organ , until we know what's causing it ,and can put there fear to rest with needed information such as its temporary caused by X , or you will need to do X to treat it,dont lie to patients and don't withhold information ,but don't give them half ass'ed information that is going to send there anxiety level into the stratosphere, thats never good for there vital signs or for them to chill out well they go for a spin in the MRI.
bambinod said:

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back