Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
  5. Little
  6. Incontinent
It seems like a lot of us adults with Cerebral Palsy to different degrees of functional mobility are incontinent.
Especially us Cerebral Palsy adults who are age 55+.
Even though I am a "walker" that uses mobility aids, I am in diapers 24/7 because I can never physically even get to my own toilet, undress my pants, and sit, assisted by safety rails and a raised toilet seat to void my bladder and my bowels in the toilet, and not in a medical adult disposable diaper.

Who else here has Cerebral Palsy and has to wear diapers?

I have a mild CP. At 46 years, suddenly, overnight, I had an OAB and constant dribble start. Was diagnosed with total IC and now wearing 24/7 since more than 1 year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have a few friends with cp all with different degrees and most are in 30 to 40 or so age range and all of them with their carers have choose diapers over caths of all kinds and other surgery to keep dry and clean if you look at it diapers are far safer than caths and the surgery that are out there to be done for being clean and dry just my 2 cents looking in i have spina biffida and teathered cord and parkinsons and type 2 sugar and choose diapers over all the cath and surgery out there

I have mild cerebral palsy that only affects my legs and i use a walker when walking for a long time like at college, I still have accidents sometimes when i cant;t get get to the bathroom on time.

I will agree that catheters, the indwelling type are problematic for incontinence management.
This is from second-hand experience from local regional friends of mine with spinal cord injury, spina bifida, and cerebral palsy.
Adult diapers are a better option for incontinence management with Cerebral Palsy.
My cousin DP's live-in girlfriend up in O'Leary, PEI, Canada has CP and is in diapers 24/7.
Yes, DP helps her to change her diapers.

It's difficult to put into words but I'll give it a go. I was born with Hydrocephalus which caused vision problems and mild CP in my feet and legs but is strongest in my left foot. The best term I've came across to explain it is Plantar Fasciitis. The muscles in my legs and foot arch are like a rubber band; if I use them to much I feel a very sharp pain in the muscle for anywhere form 30 seconds to 5 minutes. Thankfully, I'm not incontinent but I am experiencing more foot pain since I started working last month. I work as a Down Stocker at Lowe's and I'm on my feet for 6 hours a day.

I am 42 with cerebral palsy. I am in diapers 24/7 with no control of pee or poop

Hey guys I have a question that might be weird but also pertains to this post, as I mentioned earlier I have mild c.p. although I still have urine accidents from time to time. Is it weird let's say I buy depends it is weird I wear them in public or at school? I look forward to hearing from you guys thanks. Feel free to PM me if that would be better

GabeG23 said:
Hey guys I have a question that might be weird but also pertains to this post, as I mentioned earlier I have mild c.p. although I still have urine accidents from time to time. Is it weird let's say I buy depends it is weird I wear them in public or at school? I look forward to hearing from you guys thanks. Feel free to PM me if that would be better

Why would it be weird? If you need them, you do. A doctor can even confirm the medical need. If you haven’t seen one, then you should as you probably have urge or overflow incontinence.

Thanks for your help.
joelvc said:
Why would it be weird? If you need them, you do. A doctor can even confirm the medical need. If you haven’t seen one, then you should as you probably have urge or overflow incontinence.

On Facebook I know a few Mild CP adults who are utterly unable to stay dry and have to wear diapers 24/7.

It's not weird at all GabeG23, a diaper is just an aid to help you. It's no different than using your walker for long distances.

I don't have CP but I have other disabilities which mean I have to use diapers and a wheelchair. A number of my friends also have CP.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Thanks for your help.
Dinotopian2002 said:
It's not weird at all GabeG23, a diaper is just an aid to help you. It's no different than using your walker for long distances.

I don't have CP but I have other disabilities which mean I have to use diapers and a wheelchair. A number of my friends also have CP.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

GabeG23 said:

It is not weird to wear something that you need, that gives you better quality of life. :)

Thanks for the help.
NannyOgg said:
It is not weird to wear something that you need, that gives you better quality of life. :)

I too have CP but I'm not IC. I sometimes wet the bed though but that's mostly because of Stress... I do remember that I had some daytime accidents up until age 10

Gesendet von meinem SM-A510F mit Tapatalk

GabeG23 said:
Hey guys I have a question that might be weird but also pertains to this post, as I mentioned earlier I have mild CP, although I still have urine accidents from time to time. Is it weird let's say I buy depends it is weird I wear them in public or at school? I look forward to hearing from you guys thanks. Feel free to PM me if that would be better
I think I have an instinct about what you're worried about. It's the same thing that worries me, if I'm right, of course. You don't need to worry. Wearing protection in public doesn't mean toileting gets moved to your, "can't do," column. You aren't losing the skill entirely, just being brave enough to accommodate yourself. Just pay special attention to your, "go muscles," once you start wearing protection, and, if you start to notice unsettling changes to your level of continence, see a doctor, if you don't decide to before then. I have a personal hang-up about people with the authority to assess my abilities, write down their assessments, and decide I can't take care of myself, knowing I so much as leak, let alone wear, even as rarely as I do, so, I get it.

I think every cerebrally palsied person has been in a position to fear having to communicate something to the effect of, "Go away, you state-working, evaluating, asshole! I'm not stupid as a box of rocks, nor am I an invalid, so, go away, shoo, get! Y'ain't puttin' me in a home! Get to steppin!"

The first time I was threatened with, "Do you want the state to come put you somewhere, because, they can! I see you living in a group home. That's probably as independent as you'll ever get," I was 12.

So, yeah, being disabled, mildly IC, and AB/Little, is an. . . Interesting psychological place to be, because, your adult side tends to be fiercely independent, and want everybody, and his or her dog, to know you're competent, so, you become hypersensitive about who knows about your other side.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grannyweatherwax
Thanks for your help.
SpAzpieSweeTot said:
I think I have an instinct about what you're worried about. It's the same thing that worries me, if I'm right, of course. You don't need to worry. Wearing protection in public doesn't mean toileting gets moved to your, "can't do," column. You aren't losing the skill entirely, just being brave enough to accommodate yourself. Just pay special attention to your, "go muscles," once you start wearing protection, and, if you start to notice unsettling changes to your level of continence, see a doctor, if you don't decide to before then. I have a personal hang-up about people with the authority to assess my abilities, write down their assessments, and decide I can't take care of myself, knowing I so much as leak, let alone wear, even as rarely as I do, so, I get it.

I think every cerebrally palsied person has been in a position to fear having to communicate something to the effect of, "Go away, you state-working, evaluating, asshole! I'm not stupid as a box of rocks, nor am I an invalid, so, go away, shoo, get! Y'ain't puttin' me in a home! Get to steppin!"

The first time I was threatened with, "Do you want the state to come put you somewhere, because, they can! I see you living in a group home. That's probably as independent as you'll ever get," I was 12.

So, yeah, being disabled, mildly IC, and AB/Little, is an. . . Interesting psychological place to be, because, your adult side tends to be fiercely independent, and want everybody, and his or her dog, to know you're competent, so, you become hypersensitive about who knows about your other side.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your help.
Drynites96 said:
I too have CP but I'm not IC. I sometimes wet the bed though but that's mostly because of Stress... I do remember that I had some daytime accidents up until age 10

Gesendet von meinem SM-A510F mit Tapatalk

SpAzpieSweeTot said:

I myself admit to a streak of fierce independence, yet, I also long for dependence and vulnerability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back