ok sometimes the tracking cookies can be entertaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I happened to be looking for a pampers-logo tshirt the other day and now I find these ads sprinkled around on web pages that I visit

1-Pampers_iMedia_Cruisers_300x250.jpg

And I must admit, it does bring a bit of a cheeky smile to my face to see pampers all over the place as I casually browse the web...

(much more entertaining than seeing depend and northshore ads)

I've had similar ads pop up for me loke that. Do a search for adult diapers and get all kinds of baby diaper ads. It doesn't make much sense when you think about it really.

Guess it just shows that while google knows where you've been, their algorithms still have no idea where you're going next. What gets me the most is I'll get a ton of ads for something I just bought online. Which means I'm not in the market for those ads anymore. Duh google.

Omg so the same thing happened to me at WORK!

Was looking up northshore on line at home so all cool but not in no tracking mode on pc internet so some how it linked up abdl northshore ads to my bosses work email on the side of the screen omg i like played it cool cleared all my home history and work history at work but its not like i use the work computer for that kind of stuff he uses internet explorer i use google chrome ..
...close call

Mojo said:

Was looking up northshore on line at home so all cool but not in no tracking mode on pc internet so some how it linked up abdl northshore ads to my bosses work email on the side of the screen omg i like played it cool cleared all my home history and work history at work but its not like i use the work computer for that kind of stuff he uses internet explorer i use google chrome ..
...close call

That's when you get some "helpful" coworker standing over your shoulder pointing out that most of the ads you see are targeted based on your browsing history... strange looks... awkward silence

But anyway, I don't think I will get a better fit from Pampers ;)

New troll: sit down at a coworkers computer and do five minutes of diaper searches, then clear browser history (which doesn't usually clear cookies), and let the games begin!

bambinod said:
That's when you get some "helpful" coworker standing over your shoulder pointing out that most of the ads you see are targeted based on your browsing history... strange looks... awkward silence

But anyway, I don't think I will get a better fit from Pampers ;)

New troll: sit down at a coworkers computer and do five minutes of diaper searches, then clear browser history (which doesn't usually clear cookies), and let the games begin!

OMG you are a devil aren't you.

Mojo said:

...close call

Keep in mind Northshore has been pretty big on advertising in general. I've had both adult and baby diaper ads pop up on my work pc too. Except I NEVER search anything diaper related on my work pc.

Tracking cookies on your home pc don't link up to a work pc like that either, so they will stay seperate. Just like any other random ad though, they will still pop up from time to time. We're just more tuned in to diapers though, so the random coincidence seem more than that to us even though it really isn't.

Is there still people who don't use adblocker addon? "Ublock origin" is the best one, it's available at least for Firefox and Chrome. It doesn't just hide ads, it will also prevent the from loading so it makes browsing faster and more secure.

Slomo said:
Tracking cookies on your home pc don't link up to a work pc like that either, so they will stay seperate.

UNLESS you are signed into a service like say, google. (or gmail, etc) THEN those cookies can end up getting uploaded into your user profile, and WILL be displayed on other computers.

And it is for this reason I have a separate sign-in for services like that on my work computer. If you must sign in on a work computer to read your email, be sure to sign out before you open any new browser windows or you may see ads that you usually only see on your home computer. (fortunately this does not get saved on the work computer, and stops when you sign out of the home account)

bambinod said:
If you must sign in on a work computer to read your email, be sure to sign out before you open any new browser windows or you may see ads that you usually only see on your home computer. (fortunately this does not get saved on the work computer, and stops when you sign out of the home account)
It doesn't matter do you open new browser window or not when you log in to Google. (Though I guess that after you logout they don't show ads meant for your account you just logged out due to privacy reasons).

But anyways the best solution to sign in to private profiles or browse something you don't want to your browsers history is to use private window feature. A private window is like normal browser window but it has it's own cookies, history, cache etc. and after you close it all of them are destroyed.

It's also useful in cases if you have for example private and work email from same email provider so you don't need to log off work email to check private email. You can keep both open :)

The name of that feature varies between browsers but it works same way. In Firefox it's called "Private Window", in Chrome "Incognito Mode", in IE "InPrivate Browsing" and so on.

Screenshot_at_2018-07-22_20-57-31.png

leijulaakso said:
It doesn't matter do you open new browser window or not when you log in to Google. (Though I guess that after you logout they don't show ads meant for your account you just logged out due to privacy reasons).

But anyways the best solution to sign in to private profiles or browse something you don't want to your browsers history is to use private window feature. A private window is like normal browser window but it has it's own cookies, history, cache etc. and after you close it all of them are destroyed.

It's also useful in cases if you have for example private and work email from same email provider so you don't need to log off work email to check private email. You can keep both open :)

The name of that feature varies between browsers but it works same way. In Firefox it's called "Private Window", in Chrome "Incognito Mode", in IE "InPrivate Browsing" and so on.

Screenshot_at_2018-07-22_20-57-31.png

Even when using the private browsing feature, it isn't completely private however. Apparently, according to google, web history in incognito tabs can still be dug up by someone's employer or ISP if they really want to.

SorcerorElf said:
Even when using the private browsing feature, it isn't completely private however. Apparently, according to google, web history in incognito tabs can still be dug up by someone's employer or ISP if they really want to.
We were talking about web browsers history feature and tracking cookies. It's true that your employer (and ISP) can intercept your internet traffic but at least here in Finland it's highly illegal (except police investigation etc.). And I guess in most countries of Europe too, I don't know about USA and others though...

BTW. Here even publishing a picture of shoplifter breaks privacy laws. For example a few weeks ago a owner of grocery store was sued by shoplifter because he published a pic of that shoplifter stealing beer. He was sentenced in court to pay 500€ fine, 1500€ compensations for the shoplifter and shoplifters 1488€ legal fees... :wallbash:

Last edited:
used to do this with mothercare

Slomo said:
What gets me the most is I'll get a ton of ads for something I just bought online. Which means I'm not in the market for those ads anymore. Duh google.

All. The. Time.
Bought a plane ticket to [insert place here] and suddenly ALL the ads are flights FOR THAT PLACE. Like, do I really need two seats, on separate planes on the same day?
Bought [insert product here] and then all the ads are for that product, BUT I ALREADY BOUGHT IT.

I did have a close call once with my now-gf, but before I had told her anything. She wanted to google something, so I said sure, knowing that I had already deleted history. But at that time, there was no way to entirely delete google searches though.

So she types in....A....(for Amateur Dance Association)...... and up comes the suggestion A(dult Diapers). She goes, "Erm, why does it say that??" Luckily for me, she wasn't all that tech-savvy, so I fudged it by saying, "No idea? Maybe it's just a random thing?" Satisfied by that, she kept typing. (Me: dying of embarrassment inside....)

normalguy said:
All. The. Time.
Bought a plane ticket to [insert place here] and suddenly ALL the ads are flights FOR THAT PLACE. Like, do I really need two seats, on separate planes on the same day?
Bought [insert product here] and then all the ads are for that product, BUT I ALREADY BOUGHT IT.

I listened to a comedian the other day that strayed into that part of town.:

Dear Google: last month I needed a new toilet seat and found one online. Now you are bombarding me with ads for toilet seats. I do not need another toilet seat, nor am I a toilet seat collector. No matter how many more ads for toilet seats you show me, I'm not going to think "oh ok I'll treat myself to another one!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back